Lanyards with Nylon Loop at Flashlight Attachment End ?

JedSmith

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys. I prefer lanyards that have a thin (but strong) nylon loop where it attaches to the flashlight, rather than a hook or snap. (Thin cord in order to fit through very small attachment holes on a flashlight.) But, not all my flashlights came so equipped. Does anyone know where you can find such lanyards for sale ? Would prefer these in various sizes appropriate to the size of the particular flashlight.
Also does anyone know a source for the thin cord and the connectors used to attach such cord to the thicker cord that actually wraps around the user's wrist ? I have lots of regular 550 paracord but haven't found this thin stuff yet. Thanks !

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Camera shops.

In the UK we have these large Hobby stores and they stock all the connectors and the cord if your local camera shop has none but ours do and i use them.

Last edited:

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I regularly hit up the craft store. They have any thickness cord you could ever want, and dozens of clips for any application. I'm a bigger fan of the feel of 550 though. Just feels better in my hand. I feel like the thinner cord would be less useful in an emergency/survival situation than 550 cord. But for smaller lights, it does look a bit bulky

JedSmith

Newly Enlightened
What would be nice is a braided kevlar loop of the same thin diameter as often found on flashlights and cameras. I've used kevlar thread for sewing/repairing outdoor gear, but have never found anything thicker than that. The kevlar may offer greater strength & toughness than nylon, I would guess.
Tmack - I've got tons of 550 paracord. Like good duct tape, its a must have item :thumbsup: Just looking for this thin diameter stuff for the loop to attach to the flashlight. Then I like a thicker loop of paracord to actually go around the wrist.

PS - I just recalled that there's a Hobby Lobby (guess they are a big craft store chain ?) in a town about 40 minutes away. I'll check them out next time I'm there. I've only been inside once or twice for a few minutes, & don't know if they carry items you can use for a lanyard.

Thanks again guys !

Last edited:

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
apyquzas.jpg

I would like to do a bunch of these with the cord your talking about for my small lights.

For my small ones, I've just been gutting the 550 but it flattens out a little much. A nice thin round cord would be perfect. Let me know if you find anything special.

What would be nice is a braided kevlar loop of the same thin diameter as often found on flashlights and cameras. I've used kevlar thread for sewing/repairing outdoor gear, but have never found anything thicker than that. The kevlar may offer greater strength & toughness than nylon, I would guess.

Spectra serving material for bowstrings is probably what you are looking for! Any good archery shop should have a variety of thicknesses and colors.

JedSmith

Newly Enlightened
Spectra serving material for bowstrings is probably what you are looking for! Any good archery shop should have a variety of thicknesses and colors.

That's an interesting idea, and I'm a bowhunter. Thanks, I'll check that out.

kst

Newly Enlightened
"LanyardQuick Detach String Connector"

Part Number: LHLANQDSTRCON $ .75

Lighthound.com has a good flashlight accessories section. Above item should work, even has a quick release. I'm very tempted, but made my own using extra plain nylon zipper pulls from numerous jacket pockets. I single knot ends together, pulled through hole using dental floss, loop 550 cord and secured with lanyard closure.

Caution: before attaching any non-metal loops through hole, check for sharp edges or metal burrs that would compromise integrity of loop. Would be terrible to have a nice light go curr-plunk in a river somewhere.

Last edited:

JedSmith

Newly Enlightened
kst - - - thanks. Another CPF member sent that link in a PM also. Looks interesting.
I like your idea for making your own with zipper pulls

Regards - - -

Last edited: