12v converter burning 12V LEDs

BOBBO268

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to the forum because I am having a problem with my LEDs at home, although I have used this forum a ton in the past, just never registered. I have been using the "chinese led strips" on cars, boats and motorcycles for years, from a 12v source, and have never had a problem. I wanted to, and did, place led strips on the hood of my fish tanks to give some moon lighting at night.... along with these led strips came a 12v converter, so i could plug them into my house. This portion is new to me. So i wire them up, stick 'em on (in a dry location, even though they say waterproof), and after running for a few days (about 6 hours a day), half of the leds start to dim down, and they are hot...

If someone could "dumb down" my problem, I would appreciate it. I've never had a problem with a 12v battery powering any type of strip, and i've used a ton, but this 12v power coverter is frying them, and i've tried 2 different converters and 4 different led strips. My voltmeter says its outputting 12.33v, could this .3 be burning them out like this?

Trouble is I don't know any of the other specs, as these are just the LED's you get when you go to ebay and type in LED strip. If i put a 51 resistor it brings it down to about 10v, should i do that to fix it? I like, need, the brightness at 12v so i guess any non-scientific help would be appreciated.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDs don't like to be hot. The hotter they are, the faster they degrade. And what happens is that the output decreases.

High quality LEDs can handle temperatures of 85C for long periods with little degradation. Cheap ones will degrade rapidly at that temperature. And any LED will degrade faster at higher temps, slower at lower temps.

The temperature of the LED is determined by many factors, but given that you are buying LED strips, the primary factors are voltage applied to the strip (which is closely linked to the current through the strip, and also any individual LED), and the quality of the strip. If you are seeing some LEDs notably hotter than others, it indicates a quality problem in the strip.

In general, you should expect that a 12V strip powered by 11-14V should run pretty reliably for quite a while (months to years).