• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

XP-G2 vs 119V vs?

JustinFournier

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,

I'm settling on final contenders for my ideal EDC light and have tried to contact Don, but no reply yet. I'm trying to follow his rules I see here by placing an order via email, but to do so I need to decide what my final specs are.

So on to my question, how should I decide between the Cree XP-G2 vs the Nichia 119V? Or is there something else that is even better suited to my needs?

I will use the light in all kinds of situations, from going to bed at night, checking on the baby & inside the diaper, getting around the hold of large ships in the dark at work, then reading a map up close in the dark & medical applications. I need to correctly ID fluids, so I need to see the colour of them. I also shoot light into the yard at night to check what critters are making noise and keep alert of what is around me at night in the park when walking with wife & baby (30 feet or so).

I want CRI, but I don't want to lose too much light. I'm not a complete tint snob, but I am picky. This light will be used in any way it can really, but if I am better off with using my current EDC as my around the house at night light, I can do that. So here is what I don't get. If they are both close in Kelvin, and similar output, the tint still can't be the same or the CRI would be closer. How much difference is there really between roughly 80 and 92 CRI? I see the Cree is putting out more light total, but is it like 10% less light for 10% more CRI? Or is it 3% CRI for 20% light?

Currently my EDC is an Eagletac D25C Clicky Ti LE w/ Nichia 219, it's a little rose but not bad, the CRI is amazing so my favourite of what I have on hand. Much better than what I am used to, a Surefire LX2 w/ a XR-E I believe. I also have a Spark headlamp with the XM-L2 I believe in T5 neutral white, and I prefer the CRI of 219, but not so much I can't stand the headlamp or anything. The Eagletac...It comes on in moonlight so perfect for around the house at night. It can be relegated to that so remove those needs from my EDC if the needs conflict.

So how am I to decide? Sorry if this is all over, so is my mind on the subject!

Thanks all :)

Justin

JustinFournier

Newly Enlightened
Two things I forgot to mention, I'm leaning towards the Haiku vs the Sundrop, someone tell me if that is the wrong way to go based on my use.

Second thing, I see the XP-G2 comes in a 90 CRI white, wouldn't that be superior compared to the 119V considering the extra light output? Not sure the eye can tell the difference between 90 and 92 CRI.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Second thing, I see the XP-G2 comes in a 90 CRI white, wouldn't that be superior compared to the 119V considering the extra light output? Not sure the eye can tell the difference between 90 and 92 CRI.

I don't know what XP-G2 this is but would guess it is of a CCT that is down in the warm region and I would also guess the flux takes a hit so whether it is significantly better than a Nichia of similar CCT, :shrug:

Personally I am not interested in working with LED's that get below 4500K.

JustinFournier

Newly Enlightened
Ah ok, so the information comes from Cree XLamp XP-G2 product family data sheet. I dug it up while researching which LED to pick.

Quoting the data sheet... "Available in white, outdoor white and 80-,85,- and 90-CRI white."

So to answer your question I flipped through to a table and you are correct on both accounts, it does have a CCT range of 2600k-3200k and a lower flux.

So I guess that answers that :/

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on what you value more; very slightly brighter or very slightly better CRI. For my money, I would get the XPG2. I consider it a bit more future proof since there are more options for that type of LED platform and swapping to a newer LED in the future. I also value the slightly brighter over the slight bump in CRI. I can notice the bright, but not the CRI.

The right answer is to get one light with two light engines and swap them depending on your needs. The CPF answer is to just get too lights.

There really is no wrong choice here.

eala

JustinFournier

Newly Enlightened
Thanks eala,

I'm going to take your advice, great point on future proof. Now If I can just get an email to Don :)

ibcj

Enlightened
I have a Haiku 119, 1xCR123 body, which is driven at 500ma, and a Haiku XP-G2 with 1xAA body which is driven at 300ma I believe. The output of the XP-G2 on high is almost the same as the 119. The tint of the XP-G2 is not too far off the 119 either.

JustinFournier

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Chris, how would you describe it as different than the 119 tint? Would you say more yellow/green etc..

Thanks again, really appreciate the help.

ibcj

Enlightened
Here is a quick iPhone photo. Keep in mind that there is auto white balance on the iPhone.

Haiku 1xAA XP-G2 on the left - Haiku 1x123 with Nichia 119 on the right. Both lights on high.

p1022278833-4.jpg

rlapporte

Newly Enlightened
I am also interested in this comparison. I've decided on adding a Haiku to my (small) collection and I'm debating between these two emitters. Any other thoughts or beam shots would be greatly appreciated.

d13avo

Enlightened
Just stumbled across this thread while trying to decide which emitter for my first Haiku. The shot that Chris has taken with a 1x 123 119v next to a 1x AA XP-G2 am I correct in saying that if this was a 1x 123 XP-G2 it would be a fair bit brighter on high than the 1x 123 Nichia?

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
From big ships to diapers, that has to be the largest span of any light user I have heard of.

You have come to the right place and welcome aboard.

Don't for to let us know how you like the light, overall. Like the switch, clip feel and so on there are more to these lights than just the LEDs.

Best wishes,

RL

Q619

Newly Enlightened
I have a 3v haiku in XML and XPG2 but end up carrying my AA Nichia 119 more often than the others. I like the brightness levels and run time more. It seems to run longer on low which is what I tend to use most.

If I use all three side by side I tend to like the tint and pattern of the XPG2 most. I'd probably like to sell my XML and get another AA in XPG2. I think that would be my favorite light. It's got a very useful throw/flood balance.

d13avo

Enlightened
Cheers murrydan for the pics. I like the Nichia 119 but now another decision, 119 or 119v[emoji51]