Ergo Xray Question

charliek

Enlightened
I just ordered a Ergo Xray.....
I was wondering how other Eternalight owners like to carry their lights?
Is the lanyard the way to go, or a hip pouch?

This looked like a really cool light... lots to play with. anyone have any favorite applications for this light?

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Charlie,

I carry my EternaLights on a lanyard. I found a clip at REI that goes through the light and gives me something to hook the lanyard to.

I use mine while camping. I can dial up just the right amount of light for the job at hand, and enjoy using some of the advanced features while sitting around the fire.

Tom

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't carry my Elite Xray anymore, but it is still an important part of my BOB. Just load it up with lithiums, tape a piece of cardboard over the buttons and stow away.

Aloha

charliek

Enlightened
Silverfox:Camping is one of the reasons I think this light would be great- I like the "inside the case" beacon light... should I lose track of it, that should make it easy to find again...
And- the timed mode would make a great tent light- I can put it on (hanging upside down from the clip at the top of the tent) and after everyone gets settled I won't have to stand back up and turn the light off- I can just wait for the timeout!
BigHonu:
I don't think I'd be able to keep it in an emergency kit and just forget about it... it would call out to me... "Play with the buttons Charlie!!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Charlie,

I was camping with a bunch of Boy Scouts and gave them the light to figure out. It only took them 15 minutes or so to have most of the features working. I had to coach them on a few of the functions, but they did a good job.

One night we were in an area where no campfires were allowed. I took a red handkerchief, put the light in dazzle mode and put it under the handkerchief. Not the same as a fire, but its the thought that counts.

I took the "Night Beacon" LED and bent it so it points out the front of the case between the main LED's. This gives me a very dim blue light that is just enough to navigate around the tent and camp at night. It is not a very bright beam, but when your eyes are dark adjusted, it is just enough to get around.

Have fun with yours.

Tom

charliek

Enlightened
Thanks Silverfox Those are some great ideas!
I never thought about a "Campfire simulation"... that's clever! I do love a gadget... I think this will be a fun light. I guess with the UPS ground I should have it in 3-5 business days... maybe by Friday?....

83Venture

Enlightened
I still like the X-Ray, I keep mine in a case that came with one of the small 8 X 21 Binoculars with three extra batteries. Keeps light safe in my sholder case or can wear on belt if needed. Am very much looking foward to the adjustable 5w from Eternalight.

83Venture

Enlightened
Mr EternaLight mentioned it in the ErgoMarine Cloned.... Thread page 1. I went back and reread - they mention a dimmable, programmable 3W light called the Punch. Guess my failing memory filled in 5W.

charliek

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
JJHitt said:
My X-Ray rides in my jeans back pocket. It's been there every day for the last two years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow... I don't think I'd try that one.... I think it may go *blammo*

I'm a big guy.... 6'4" @ 250lb.

JJHitt

Enlightened
It's reasonably rugged. I wouldn't let Craig run over it, but it can be sat on or even stepped on without fear of damage.

Only problem I have had is the threads have stripped out of one of the screw holes. I've been through seven or eight battery changes.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Eternalights have to be among the best lights available for camping. Being flat, they're easy to pocket and with all the dimming options you can adjust to just the amount of light you need and have incredible runtimes.

charliek

Enlightened
The Ergo Xray really looks cool- I looked at the flash "simulator" and the movie clip for the Elite ... I called up to see if the order had shipped and it didn't yet... I changed it from UPS ground to 2nd Day air.... GOTTA HAVE IT!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
JJHitt said:
It's reasonably rugged. I wouldn't let Craig run over it, but it can be sat on or even stepped on without fear of damage.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just out of curiosity, I grabbed my Ergo Xray (the kind without the magnet), turned it on, and placed it in front of the back tire of my electric wheelchair. Then I got in the chair (around 400lbs with me in it), throttled the chair up, and ran over it frontward and then backward. I half expected the case to crack at very minimum, but I found NO damage when I examined the flashlight afterward. And it stayed on during this punishment.

Guess I'd better go update the eternaLight page with this information. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Not unless you sit on it for a prolonged period; then the buttons could become mashed and turn the light on without your knowing it, knocking some time off the battery life.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The Ergo Xray does have feet, but they're a bit on the small side so you have to balance the flashlight carefully.
You *CAN* stand it up, but it's a bit unstable if you put it on a picnic table or other location where there is wind.