Shorty D Cell M@g

G Pilot

Enlightened
Has anyone direct driven a Lux III off 3AA or 4AA. I am going to shorten up my 2 D M@g and want to know if I use one 3 to D that will be enough juice to power my Lux III?

One 3 to D will fit nice in shorty.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
3 AA definately will drive it at least at 700 mA. 4AA might be a bit too much though. However, if you are planning to use the 3 to D, be wary that certain mod must be made to the adapter. It simply has too much resistance there (~ 2 ohms).

G Pilot

Enlightened
I did read that about El's 3 to D. I was going to make my own though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

G Pilot

Enlightened
The reason I ask is that I am driving a 1 watt with 3AA, so I am wondering if 4 would be better on a 3 watt?

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
not really. AS a matter of fact, it *might* kill your 3W. 3W is better than 1W only when it is driven at 700 mA or more, so when you are using 3 nimh DD, the current will be more than 700 mA and thus it is brighter than 1W already. Using 4AA WITH resistance is also a good option, but then again you have power wasted. AFAIK, the 3W can handle current up to 2 Amp, provided GREAT heatsink.