The very nest of both worlds, spot to flood with lens, which one?

davictorschwarz79

Newly Enlightened
Most lights i see with a lens seem to be cheap chinese knockoffs, and then the ones that look GOOD, are not specked out for people who still want a usable flood (do any of those chinese lights have good regulated circuits, and just because they share the same body and factory, are they much different internally that i should pay more for one brand than another?). Dereelight for example, tells us the KCD output of their lights, but it will not tell us the lumen output, or the widest beam angle in flood mode. From what i've read from reviews here (and no one seems to have reviewed the light as a possible all purpose light), the maximum flood angle isn't very usable for a guy who only needs it for a "somewhat lousy mountain bike headlamp". I don't need the PERFECT mountain bike light mind you, I just want a very good lens light that makes a flood beam which is merely acceptable for use as a bike light mounted to my bike. I want everything the dereelight IS, so long as it can achieve at least a 60 degree beam angle. The reviews and descriptions, and the specs offered for this light so far are one big :fail:. Apparently, the only people who bought them, desire them for one purpose, and that's what they are good for "throw". However, reading about the pills in their lights, and the optional bulbs they use, it appears some of their lights are 300 lumens, and some are possibly 700.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand. I prefer throw and will use it more than flood (for fun), but i NEED flood, and i only intend to own one light in my life. I desire a light with a lens as well (tight beam). So, something that's as close to an all purpose light, with a lens, and as bright as some of the brightest single bulb lights available.

This may seem as a post which belongs in light recommendations, but this really ought to be a discussion, because when i search the forum for "spot to throw" I didn't find anything that quite matches up to this exact topic. Furthermore, many people don't even know about the dereelight as it is far superior to most pocket sized throws, for people who go to the recommendation forum asking just that. You flashlight enthusiast really need to search into the world of hunting lights, and make reviews based on the fact that they are still just flashlights when you put a regular LED inside of them.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
that is totally different from what I feel perfect.
You are going "quick" (?) and want less "reach" in Your light?

put
A) on the handlebar a light that throws (the light there is only useful when the bar is pointed straight and that is with speed) and
B) get a "more flood than enough" light, like a Zebralight H600, on the helmet. This one places the flood there where you look and thus needs it.

PS: in that application (but also at 99,9 % of any use) zoom lights simply are not good.
If they were, there were more. Also good ones

[edit]
when you REALLY want "only one light", and that one put on the handlebars, I recommend a good P60 host light and one of Nailbenders P60 inserts (BUT the one I got: all data for XP-G2, but an XM-L2 soldered in instead --> slightly wider beam, much better for biking (and loong 2+ hour runtime from 1*18650)
[/edit]

Last edited:

davictorschwarz79

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply Yellow, and I admit that i would be more than willing to have a light custom made. The dereelight is so tempting to me, because it achieves what i love better than others. Throw lights, are often called hunting lights because they are most useful in looking at Animals in the distance. This is what people started buying them for, so this is what they started selling them for, though i am not a hunter, this will be what i use it for most too. I don't require a lot of flood though, because if a light is 700 lumens for example, aiming the beam at the ground ahead of you just to detect debris in time to STOP from hitting it primarily, and maybe even enough time to swerve around it, should only require a mere 60 degree angle of flood. Light bounces a little even off the surface of pavement, so with a small angle, and a bright enough light, you can still produce something which makes riding safe even in the middle of nowhere on a new moon cloudy night. I know this, because I've had several lights to compare such as nitecore EA4, mag light, dorcy, and a couple chinese knockoffs with poorly regulated circuits. In my overall comparison and what i believe about lumen output, 60 degree beams at 700 lumens is good for just about every purpose that doesn't require any peripheral vision. However, the tighter the beam angle is in flood mode, obviously, the more you have to point the light downward to see what you are walking into. That being said, any light that must be used as a light you are going to walk with, ride with, and see far ahead with at the same time should be as one people generally buy a lot, and are common such as my nitecore EA4. The beam ahead is powerful, and the flood on the highest setting is enough to avoid debris in a walkway. Therefore, what i am looking for is something that can be useful for one or the other at a time. MEANING, the beam is very useful for seeing long distances, and it is also very useful for seeing the road in front of you, you just cannot do both at the same time. You can just take a look at the road ahead, then re-position the light after you know you have 10 paces of walking, and take the chance to spot wildlife, going back and forth. That's fine with me, I just want to know what light can do this best, and I feel a lens light with maximum throw in the first place should take care of it nicely. Yet, they rarely ever state the maximum beam angle to spare themselves the embarrassment, but what they might find embarrassing i might find very useful.