Camping light strategy:

charliek

Enlightened
This is what I came up with for next season- anyone have any suggestions?
I listed candidates for tasks when I couldn't make a decision...

All lights need to be extremely rugged - waterproof or very water resistant. Compact size and low weight is a plus. Costs should be contained - as a rule of thumb :the sum cost of your lights should not exceed the cost of your tent. ( I love lights too , but let's get real here)

lights listed by usage:

worklight:
hands-free is best- good spill (not a tightly focused light ) -smooth light beam
PrincetonTech Aurora
Minimag w/MM+ in Niteize headstrap
ARC LSH w/AA pack in Niteize headstrap (OK, OK.. I have an expensive tent)

path-walking:
good brightness-long runtime (2hr+) more spill than throw - smooth light
ARC LSH-S
PT Attitude
SL 4AA 7LED
SL TT 2L or 3AA (nice combination of path light & long distance spot.)

long distance spot (marker finder)
Easy to carry,very bright-long throw
SF G2

backup:
long runtime- pocket light is OK. Less bright is OK.
ARC AAA
CMG Infinity Ultra

Tent Light:
CMG Bonfire
Minimag with MM+ upside down in candle mode
Eternalight Ergo Xray

Camp Lantern:
Eternalight Ergo Xray with diffuser
Home brew Incand/LED mini lantern
Rayovac 4AA Mini lantern

Any suggestion for paring down this list is also appreciated!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suggest adding a red night vision light.
I like the Rigel Systems Starlite.

(Which is available inexpensively, right now, due to the unfortunate going-out-of-business closeout sale) at:

http://www.airydisk.com/index.htm

(It's a 9-volt pocket-sized LED light, that has an analog dial for brightness and both red LEDs for night vision, and blue-white for, well, destroying your night vision).

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
charliek,
You seem to have a good grasp of what you need so I only have two recommendations. Standardize on batteries and buy a more expensive tent /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif I prefer AA batteries because I can use them in other things (GPS, etc.)
I prefer the Energizer 4AA 2LED over the CMG Bonfire.
I think you could trim your list down and still have more than enough lights. How about this?
1 headlamp
1 ARC LS with AA tailpack
1 ARC AA or 1 CMG Infinity Ultra
1 AA incandescent (Tec40)
1 tent light that can also be used as a lantern (Energizer 4AA 2LED)
If you want to reduce even further you could do everything with a headlamp and a ARC AA (or Infinity Ultra). I usually take more lights than this but I don't need them and I usually only use these type of lights. If everyone in your party has a headlamp you won't need a lantern.

kaseri

Enlightened
Yeah.. I think you should buy a more expensive tent. I bought a Bibler tent last year and now I can justify more lights!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Charlie,

Work light:
I just tried out a PT Matrix 2 head lamp. It has a little different beam pattern, but over a week end of use I came to enjoy using it. It has a good mix of throw and spill for general use, and uses AA batteries. I also have a Pitzl Tikka (newest version is the Tikka Plus) and that light has served me well, but is more suitable to close in use, and remember that it uses AAA batteries.

Path Walking:
My favorite is the ARC LSH-P with 2 AA battery pack. However, the Matrix 2 is close to the same throw and spill and is hands free as well.

Long Distance:
G2 sound good, and you might also consider the Legend LX.

Back up:
ARC AAA of course, and I have been realy impressed with the $1 key chain lights. If you could spring for it, go for the ARC AA. That keeps the batteries similar to your work light.

Tent Light and Lantern:
The EternaLight XRay is good. It also uses AA batteries. You could also use the $1 key chain lights in the tent (and they come in white, blue, and red colors).

I would limit this to the Matrix 2, ARC LSH, ARC AA, and EternaLight X Ray. They all use AA batteries. You would not have to carry extra batteries as you would have extra lights with the right sized batteries in them.

For long throw, just get closer... OK, just throw in the G2. Although, if you got an ElektroLumens Blaster Jr, you would have about the same throw and the Blaster Jr uses AA batteries. The problem is that the Blaster Jr is quite a bit bigger than the G2.

Tom

JimM

Newly Enlightened
If you are going to be carrying your gear, I like the Arc AAA, PT Aurora, PT Attitude and PT Rage for light weight.
If AA works better, I like the Infinity Ultra, Mini-Mag with Inretech adapter (and headstrap), and UK 2AA, all with lithiums.
However, I found that I don't use the PT Rage and the UK 2AA too much in either of those combinations, so they become waterproof battery carriers.
If I have access to my vehicle, Surefire gets the nod.
Jim

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Infinity Ultra or Arc AA as a back up and tent light...and the SL TT 3 AA for trail walking and spotting...if weight is not a big problem...the SL TT "C" or even "D". Thats all you need, unless there could be bears or other wild things looking for a tasty meal..then a Tigerlight with the nasty spray stuff. Now, if you buy a more expensive tent....

If I could only take one it would be the SL TT "c" for it longer range spoting ability...while still lighting a trail/campsite comfortably for hours on end (throw a rope over a high branch and pull the light up for a area light).

Ken

Ken

charliek

Enlightened
Weight isn't a problem.... packing more flashlights than cooking gear.... maybe I like camping *because* I like to bring my flashlights??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
Definitely standerize in AA is very important. I have a similar plan.

CMG Infinity (red LED) as "always on" light and I'll be cliping it to my baseball cap to turn it into a "work light" when needed.

PT Tec40 for "path light"

Streamlight Scorpion as a "spot light" and "backup light" but will probably buy a PT Surge to do this task.

Haven't decided on "tent light" yet.

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
Charliek, if you haven't bough the "spot light" yet, you might want to consider the Streamlight Scorpion. It's focusable, have a backup bulb storage and brighter than the G2.

paulr

Flashaholic
Tent light: CMG Ultra or equivalent hanging from the top of the tent by its lanyard does just fine. For more diffusion, tape a piece of white paper or kleenex over the LED.

Light set if you want to standardize on AA batteries and aren't too concerned about weight:

- Normal/walking: Arc LSL with 2AA tailpack or Minimag+sandwich, or Streamlight 4AA propolymer or some 3AA LED light, or maybe Elektrolumens Elektrostar or equivalent

- Dim/Backup/Tent: CMG Infinity or Infinity Ultra

- Night vision: CMG Infinity with red LED, or Rigel Systems Skylight (9V) if you're really serious about it

- Bright: PT Surge

If you want to standardize on AAA's instead:

- Normal/walking: PT Attitude, or PT Aurora, Petzl Tikka, etc

- Dim/backup/tent: Arc AAA

- Bright: PT Rage

- Night vision: red-LED Arc AAA if you're an AAA purist, otherwise a red CMG Infinity or even a red coin cell light will run a good long time and cost much less than a red AAA. Again, Rigel Systems if you're doing astronomy or something.

Brody

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm... for me, I use the following:
Dim tent light : Eveready Folding LED light
Path Light : Streamlight 4AA 7LED
Bright Light : Princeton Tec Surge or Elektrolumens Blaster VI
Pocket Carry : CMG Infinity Ultra
Headlamp : PT Yukon HL
This way, I am just bringing extra AA Batteries, which are very easy to find if I ever need replacements.

charliek

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
CalgaryGuy said:
Charliek, if you haven't bough the "spot light" yet, you might want to consider the Streamlight Scorpion. It's focusable, have a backup bulb storage and brighter than the G2.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought the Scorpion for my brother this Christmas- when he opens it I'll be able to see for myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I think he'll like it.

charliek

Enlightened
Standardizing on one type of battery is a great idea! I think the AA is easier to find in little roadside stores or camp stores should I run out.
(I'm usually loaded to overkill, but it's a nice thought /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

I've got a Eternalight Ergo Xray on the way and it takes.... AA Batteries!!

Great responses, guys! Thanks to all!

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the UKE 2L for long distance? Not as bright as the G2, but definitely waterproof and just as indestructable, and has a longer runtime than the G2 as well.

charliek

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Stanley said:
How about the UKE 2L for long distance? Not as bright as the G2, but definitely waterproof and just as indestructable, and has a longer runtime than the G2 as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

The G2 does suck batteries like a fiend.... if I bring it, I use it sparingly.
I've never tried a UKE2L- the beamshots look pretty good.... maybe on my next order I'll grab one to try it out. (I think they're very reasonably priced)

paulr

Flashaholic
I like the UKE 2L a lot. I've had a number of them over the years and have never felt the need for anything more powerful when camping. I do think they're somewhat overpriced these days, since they were priced at $22 when they came with two CR123 batteries that normally went for $7 each or so, but now those batteries are $1 each and the price of the light didn't come down correspondingly. There's no reason for the 2L to be more expensive than the UKE 2AA or 4AA. However, compared to other 2x123 lights they're still pretty good value. They're lightweight, make a nice tight beam, and are waterproof and near indestructable.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Paulr, you and I seem to be 2 of the very few fans of the UKE 2L around here... I know this is not the 1st time we've both added our positive pieces about the versatility of the 2L!

Back on topic, the beamshots of the 2L aren't as smooth as the G2, but its good enough, and as Paulr said, you probably wouldn't need anything more powerful than than for the size. I've got mine on a wrist lanyard, and its my spotting light for night hikes. I think they should be going for around $18 or so in B/S/T if you can find one around. Good luck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif