Niece knows who to call for camping light

Kitchen Panda

Enlightened
My niece texted me this afternoon, wanting to borrow a flashlight for a camping trip today. "Flash...light? I might have something like that."

A million questions came to mind...flood vs. throw? Color temperature? User interface? Orange peel vs. smooth reflector vs. TIR?

She summed up the mission parameters perfectly saying " I need something to find the campground bathroom at night."

I finally sent her on her way with three lights:

- My elderly but still reliable 2AA Quark - this is the one I bought for the Africa trip ten years ago, but it's still dead-on reliable. It's been riding around in my tool bag for away-from-the-bench troubleshooting. I also included two spare charged Eneloops as well as changing the batteries on-board.

- Eveready headlamp ( can't recall the model name) running on three AAAs, with selectable red/white and dimmable white lamp. Also spare batteries for that. I thought it would be useful in case she's doing some setup or something that requires free hands.

-I didn't have a camping lantern, not being a camper myself and relying on tail-standing and ceiling bounce for room lighting. But I'd picked up some surplus GE-branded "enbrighten" cordless motion sensor lamps at Princess Auto. These claim up to 300 lumens at full brightness but can be adjusted down for reasonable battery life. I....don't have enough spare NiMhs....to send a full set of 6 spares for this one, so she's only got the set I loaded into it. But she's only gone two nights at most, so it should stand up.

So, for someone who's last camping experience was a "glamping" trip to a yurt at Spruce Woods Provincial Park (AC power! Locking door! Running water and indoor toilets only a short walk away! Not real camping!), I think I did OK at equipping her for a couple of well-deserved nights of recreation.

I told her specifically that I need all these lights back, but we all know if one doesn't return, it will only be an excuse to go shopping for a replacement.

Bill

( must order more Ni Mh AA's now....)

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last time I lent out a torch they tossed the rechargeable batteries (when they went flat) and used primary carbon cells 🙄

FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDGE!!!

That's why when I loan one, it's either alkalines (if short-term) or lithium primary (if long-term).

On a similar note, I had put 2 aaa "Duraloops" in my apartment thermostat since I didn't want alks puking all over the inside... then on an unannounced maintenance visit while I was at work, they took those batteries and left alks instead!! (and NO they are not supposed to enter without prior notice but it's been an issue several times)

They were pretty old Duraloops at least...

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDGE!!!

That's why when I loan one, it's either alkalines (if short-term) or lithium primary (if long-term).

On a similar note, I had put 2 aaa "Duraloops" in my apartment thermostat since I didn't want alks puking all over the inside... then on an unannounced maintenance visit while I was at work, they took those batteries and left alks instead!! (and NO they are not supposed to enter without prior notice but it's been an issue several times)

They were pretty old Duraloops at least...
Ralphie! Where did you hear that word?!

Last time I lent out a torch they tossed the rechargeable batteries (when they went flat) and used primary carbon cells 🙄
It took me years to get my wife to stop throwing rechargeable cells in the trash after they were depleted. She knows better now, but for awhile I was finding Eneloop's in her office trash can every month or two. (She thought Eneloop was a cheap, off-brand battery...) 😱

Kitchen Panda

Enlightened
I gave the niece everything in a baggie and told her everything in that Zip Loc was to come back to me. And she returned everything in good order. When I started using Ni Mh in the TV remote control, mice, and cordless keyboard, I made sure to tell the better half "Don't throw these out...they are rechargeable!"

The motion-sensing closet light is better than I'd thought. At full power it pulls 330 mA from 6 NiMh cells, but you can turn it down to draw around 35 mA - so it would last for 50 or 60 hours on a good set at minimum brightness. It's the type of thing you could leave at the camp biffy all night - especially with the motion sensor!