Acebeam        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ordering LEDs direct from China (AliBaba/AliExpress)

Enlightened

Default Re: Ordering LEDs direct from China (AliBaba/AliExpress)

The order of dimmable ones came today. I'm home, but wanted to do some testing, so I put one in the track fixture in the spare bedroom. It's controlled by a GE rotary click on/off dimmer, 600w max.

I prefer dimmers that cannot be turned on at full brightness-- therefore either rotary with click off, or slide with off at the bottom. I also dont like it when a dimmer is clicked on, but there is no visible light. At the dimmest setting, you should be able to tell it's on, otherwise you get people turning lights off but leaving the power on.

In this case, the dimmer clicks on and the LEDs start slightly brighter than the halogens. They're brighter than the halogens at full brightness too, so it may be linear. At the very dimmest setting there is a faint flicker visible when I look at the fixture. As I gradually move the dimmer up, the flicker goes away and it gradually continues to full brightness. There is no color change at varying levels, unlike incandescents and halogens.

I'm going to try a few other dimmers when I get to the buildings.

If anyone thinks a video would help I'll make one.

Enlightened

600w no name rotary dimmer: click on, nothing. As you turn the dimmer, the lamps come on to 15-20% brightness, then evenly continue to full brightness

1000w Cooper dimmer: click on, nothing. Nothing for a while. Then out of nowhere 50% brightness, then full. I hate these Cooper dimmers

1200w dimmer from Taiwan: Click on to about 10% brightness, then evenly continue to full brightness.

I did not notice any flicker with any of these dimmers

I tried one of the non dimmable bulbs on a dimmer, just to see. It comes on at full brightness and stays at full brightness no matter the dimmer position. No flicker, no variation, no nothing, just on.

Flashaholic*

Are you sure the flicker isn't just being masked by the brightness? Try waving your hand in front of the light and see if you get a strobing effect. Some of these lights have very basic rectification without any smoothing caps, which can be an unenjoyable experience

Unenlightened

Thanks for all the info about these Chinese LED's!
    I'm always concerned about CRI, do you have any idea what the CRI value is?

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by RoGuE_StreaK View Post
    Are you sure the flicker isn't just being masked by the brightness? Try waving your hand in front of the light and see if you get a strobing effect. Some of these lights have very basic rectification without any smoothing caps, which can be an unenjoyable experience
    No, if you bump them up only slightly from the very dimmest setting, it goes away. I've also seen the power supplies, they do have two filter caps.

Quote Originally Posted by ken222 View Post
    Thanks for all the info about these Chinese LED's!
    I'm always concerned about CRI, do you have any idea what the CRI value is?
    The manufacturer claims 90. To my eyes the light looks identical to the LED bulbs sold at Menards, which all have a CRI in the 80-90 range.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DIWdiver View Post
    AFAIK, CE is stricter than UL, so the UL marking would be redundant.

My biggest concern would be lumen maintenance. My experience with cheap LED lights is that after a year, they've lost half their output or more. It would be very interesting to get a cheap lux meter and make a few measurements every week or every month for a year.
    CE is stricter than UL? .... No. Mostly a self cert. No independent thermal tests or material tests or factory audits or really much of anything for that matter. Of course a lot of the time that CE is China Export .. Not the CE you are thinking .

Unenlightened

Talking Re: Ordering LEDs direct from China (AliBaba/AliExpress)

I had similar issue, i needed to replace about 80 of GU10 LED lamps in my house, i tried some on ebay which were junk and also ordered some on alibaba and quality was just not there, the LED lamps with GU10 base looks ok but they just weren't bright enough. I tried several sites including amazon but the best lumen output Gu10 led i got were from www.LightExports.com they have tons of different ones and even the ones that output 70W of halogen light, which was slighly strange since i didn't know GU10 lamps come in 70W its too much heat. Anyhow the ones i got were CREE GU10 6W Dimmable in warm white which easily output 50W of light with approx 500 lumens, i would get these again if i have to but know i am set since these are rated for 40,000hrs. Definitely recommend these.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur8994 View Post
    I had similar issue, i needed to replace about 80 of GU10 LED lamps in my house, i tried some on ebay which were junk and also ordered some on alibaba and quality was just not there, the LED lamps with GU10 base looks ok but they just weren't bright enough. I tried several sites including amazon but the best lumen output Gu10 led i got were from www.LightExports.com they have tons of different ones and even the ones that output 70W of halogen light, which was slighly strange since i didn't know GU10 lamps come in 70W its too much heat. Anyhow the ones i got were CREE GU10 6W Dimmable in warm white which easily output 50W of light with approx 500 lumens, i would get these again if i have to but know i am set since these are rated for 40,000hrs. Definitely recommend these.
    I took a look at your site. The prices are higher that buying bulbs in American stores.

Enlightened

Tried a LUTRON dimmer today designed for LEDs. Because of the trim I was able to get the bulbs a lot dimmer than any of the other dimmers I tried before. However, like some of the other dimmers, at specific levels there is a faint flicker. That flicker is not there at all with the Taiwanese dimmer.

Two of my high end Sylvania PAR38 LEDs from the supply house have started making an odd buzzing sound. These are the ones with the best quality light.

Banned

Probably always buzzed with a dimmer.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by SemiMan View Post
    Probably always buzzed with a dimmer.
    I should have clarified. These were not now, nor were they ever on a dimmer.

Enlightened

HOLD UP. Who removed my links? First of all, they were to three separate suppliers, none of which are affiliated with me.

This thread is pointless if I cant show you the products I'm comparing.

I'm going to put them back, and if you delete them again, I'm putting them back again, so if you have a problem with that, you might as well ban me.

Flashaholic*

Prepare for a banning then; it's in the forum rules.
    You ARE however allowed to say who you got them from, their exact title, SKU, whatever, to help people find with a quick search that exact item, but direct links are generally frowned on

Enlightened

Prepare for a banning then; it's in the forum rules.
    You ARE however allowed to say who you got them from, their exact title, SKU, whatever, to help people find with a quick search that exact item, but direct links are generally frowned on
    5. Posting articles and links

Articles from other sources are welcome. Links to other websites are welcome. Do NOT post the entire article on CPF! 9 times out of 10, this would be an infringement on copyright. Limit what you post to around 100 words and then post a link to the original source. Always post a link to the original source!

When posting links, please take a moment and have some consideration for the other members of CPF. Do not post links or URL's that are so long that they cause horizontal scrolling of the pages. Use the regular reply page instead of Quick Reply and follow the directions/prompts for posting or inserting hyperlinks.

And one other thing. If the link that you post leads to something of mature content and/or something that perhaps some of our members may not want to see, post a warning with your link.

I dont see anything that would exclude me from posting links to where I bought something.

When I initially signed up for the forum, my posts, including this one, were deleted because the mods thought they were spam. I was quite frustrated as it takes time to type and repost links. I spoke with a moderator, who was quite understanding of my frustration, and he approved my posts, including this one. Why another mod would come back around and re-delete parts of it is beyond me, and frustrating all over again.

Enlightened

I got my last shipment of PAR30's.

One died within the first hour of operation. The rest work(ed) fine.

Whoever said that these companies whatever LEDs they can get their hands on for each order might be on to something. This batch, all 50 bulbs have a slight yellow tint, similar to halogens and the high end Sylvania LEDs I've tested. The last batch, all 50 had a slight pink tint like pretty much every other warm white LED lamp I've tested. The difference is subtle, it might bother some people depending on the installation. I'm about as picky as it gets, and in all the places we use PAR30s, it hasnt bothered me yet. Wallwashing white walls it would probably bother me.

If the failure rate stays low with these over the next couple years, I will consider this experiment a resounding success.

I ordered another 10 PAR20s for my dad, but other than that, I wont be ordering anything else until/unless we do some remodeling that involves installing more PAR fixtures.

Flashaholic

Does anyone know, what actual amount of lumens does this cheap Aliexpress LED flashlight really have?? It surely isn't 2000 lumen. http://www.aliexpress.com/item/high-...243736117.html

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Jiri View Post
    It surely isn't 2000 lumen.
    Nah, out be a factor about, say, 20... They use either an XR-E or XP-E, if a Q5 bin (which may be doubtful, seems to have just been a buzzword they all pick up on), even if pushed to max rated current of 700mA then lumens at the emitter would be a little over 200. Expect quite a bit of loss with the aspheric setup, so I would guess an absolute max of 150 OTF (out the front).

Check out the "budget lights" sub-forum for something along the lines of "Sipik-68 clones". I've got several of these (from different sources, mainly banggood), for cheapies they are really very good for having lying around the place.

Flashaholic

Nah, out be a factor about, say, 20... They use either an XR-E or XP-E, if a Q5 bin (which may be doubtful, seems to have just been a buzzword they all pick up on), even if pushed to max rated current of 700mA then lumens at the emitter would be a little over 200. Expect quite a bit of loss with the aspheric setup, so I would guess an absolute max of 150 OTF (out the front).

Check out the "budget lights" sub-forum for something along the lines of "Sipik-68 clones". I've got several of these (from different sources, mainly banggood), for cheapies they are really very good for having lying around the place.
    Great! Thank you very much for the info and the tips. I will check those lights. Even though I am not really interested in buying those cheap lights (I am more of a Fenix lights preson), I was asking for a friend, who does not see a point byuing a more expensive flashlight and he believes that those cheap flashlight can do the same as brand high quality flashlights. But thank you again!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Jiri View Post
    I was asking for a friend, who does not see a point byuing a more expensive flashlight and he believes that those cheap flashlight can do the same as brand high quality flashlights
    I'm kinda more like him Most expensive torch I have is probably less than $15, but I try to find out exactly which emitter and driver are in there, and what the heatsinking's like. Personally I'll probably never ever spend more than $50 on a torch; guess I don't have enough bears or zombies chasing after me

hi what does this mean?

• Import clearance failure
      2018-12-07 16:21:00 [GMT+8]
    • Held by Custom
      2018-12-07 16:21:00 [GMT+8]
    • -Arrival at Destination Postal Admin (From SG/SIN to PH)
      2018-12-07 16:18:00 [GMT+8]
    • Airline arrived at destination country
      2018-12-07 12:16:00

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12