Pila's in a X3T mcmodule L4 body

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Pila\'s in a X3T mcmodule L4 body

I'm gonna guess that the mcmodule has a boost converter in it. Like a BadBoy. If it does, then the Pila will work fine. Yes, it will just as bright, but will have less runtime.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Shannow... they will work but they won't be as bright as with 2 x 123s. The BB750 will output about ~400mA. You really need 6V to get the 750mA output.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

hotbeam,
Has this been your experience? I haven't had any such problems driving my boosted lights with Pilas. I have a McLux PR with a BB700 that I feed with Pilas and I'm getting right at around 700mA.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Chopmeister /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif, were you using a 1watter, 3watter or 5watter with the driver?

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

hotbeam,
I was using a 5W with the BB700 and I had no problems driving it with the Pila. In fact I've had no problems at all using the pilas in any boosted circuit setup that I've used. I always got the current that I was supposed to. Li-ions are good for supplying current, from what I've seen anyway.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have an X3T BB-750 built by McGizmo the man himself, and it runs just as bright on Pila's as 2x123. However, at the lower voltage, the converter will work much much harder to step up the voltage to drive the LED. Make sure the IC in the BB is thermally attached to a large mass like the head. The BB will be operating with the internal switch near the 2A limit with 4V or less input.

CM

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Chop and CM, I must have something funny with my BB750 as with fresh-ish batteries (5.86v unloaded/4.51v loaded), I was getting 760mA (also 5.70v/3.90v, getting 760mA) but with 5.36v/2.15v, I was getting 410mA and 4.85v/2.05v, 400mA. These figures were taken before the circuit was potted into the McModule and I was driving a LED with T Vf.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

hotbeam,
Have you taken any readings on a Pila? The latter readings that you are getting may be in DD mode. The BB750 needs ~2.2v to run in regulation. You have to keep in mind that the Pilas don't sag under a load like 123's do.

CM,
You wanna fill in the blanks? We need a pros opinion here.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

TBH, I haven't Pila'ed it. Its based on my observations with my test with the lower voltage batts. Although under load the Pilas would hold up better than the 123s. Let me get some Pilas and see.

Yeah, CM. You are getting regulation all the way?

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

hotbeam,
The pilas on drop to like 3.7v under load and do a really good job of retaining their voltage. If you have a 5W driven by a BB, you should really get some Pilas and enjoy cheap light. The only light I buy 123's for now is my E1e mod.

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

Chop/CM, if you have time, please do me a favour.

Use fresh Pila 168s and measure the tail cap current with the light on. Also measure the loaded tail voltage (stick a piece of wire on the nipple of the Pilas to get access to the +'ve). Please also get a Vf of your LS.

Do the same again 15mins in and again at 30mins and if there is still light, at 45mins. I'd be interested in your results. Note the brightness, either visual or Lux at each of the 4 intervals.

I'd be very interested in your results.

TIA.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

hotbeam,
Sorry, but my 5W McLux with BB is in the mail and on its way to a new owner. I'm sure that Cris could oblige you though. You know him. He can't leave this stuff alone.

I do remember taking a reading once though. On a fresh Pila, I think it was drawing something in the neighborhood of 2A from the batt. I may be wrong though. I was getting pretty close to the max the BB could handle.