WOW! New WTC is really something

TOB9595

Enlightened
Tallest building in the world. 1776 feet tall.
Here's the Architect's rendering with the Statue of Liberty.
Pretty AWESOME!
newwtc.jpg

Tom

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
i wish they'd do something besides make another taller building *lol*

it looks like it'll be dominating the hell outta the skyline! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Bill.H

Enlightened
Has it been finalized? I read an article a while back with some of the proposals illustrated, but they hadn't chosen one yet.

I like that one, if you imagine the buildings around it as the knuckles of a closed fist, that one stands out as a good signal to the world of the US answer to terrorists /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

1776 feet... good number!!

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gotta say though, after what happened would you be nervous going into a building that tall? It would certainly at least be on your mind.

jtice

Flashaholic
It may not be preactical,,, but,, its AMERICAN !!!

I say, build one 3 times as damn big.! lol

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the shape of this building supposed to represent? It looks like an elongated pyramid with a needle sticking out of the top. The needle isn't even pointing straight up. Is there another view of it?

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
I don't mind working in that tall building... I'll have a base jump chute in my locker just in case... By the way, I was amaze that no one brought a base jump chute as an emergency exit after the car bomb incident...

Sinjz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bah, I'm not a big fan of the design or the fact that much of this "tallest building" will be a spire and not suitable office space. I'm miffed about saving the "footprints" too. Anyway, I don't think the building is really distinctive. The Twin Towers stood out as much for the fact that there were two side by side as it's height. BTW, just curious, what is wrong with a tall building that dominates the skyline? Isn't that one of the points of this rebuilding project? To replace the landmarks in the sky that were taken away by the terrorist? I always knew where home was when those towers were standing. Geepondy, I'd have no problem going into tall buildings. The bridge/tunnel you use everyday, the stadium/theater you go to, the "T" station near your work or your shopping center are all as likely to be targets. CalgaryGuy, for safety reason the windows can NOT be opened. I guess if you break the window or get to the roof you can try it, but the swirls and wind tunnels created by tall buildings along with various obstacles would make it pretty hard to land safely. I can't speak for others, but I suspect there were no parachute after the car bomb because NOBODY thought the towers could be brought down. The plane crashes didn't really phase me. It was the towers actually collapsing that got to me. Roth, from that Reuters article:

"The tower will overtake Taipei 101 office block in Taiwan as the building regarded as the world's tallest. The Taipei building has not yet been completed but reached its maximum height of 1,667 feet in October.

New York's new tower will contain some similar elements to the original twin towers that stood at 1,368 feet, including the restoration of the well-known "Windows on the World" restaurant and an observation deck.

The next part makes me want to gag! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

The space above reaching to 1,500 feet will contain a lacy structure of tension cables similar to those on the Brooklyn Bridge and wind-harvesting turbines to provide 20 percent of the building's energy, the architects said.

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Certainly looks interesting, I'll give it that, but I still stand by my original decision, they should have brought back the Twin Towers.
I reckon that, rebuilding them as they stood for so long before, would have sent a much stronger message to the group of people behind the attack, showing that you can't destroy such an icon so easily. Sounds silly, given that there were much more supposedly spectacular things in the world to see, but I had always wanted to see the Twin Towers, was just something about the image that I liked, and I wanted to see it. I regret now that I shan't have the chance to.

I too doubt, that I am the only one who feels like that.

The Twin Towers were an icon, and should have been maintained as such.

MichiganMan

Enlightened
Seeing so many of the victims' families (may God take pity on them for their losses...) actually looking to sue the WTC designers because the towers weren't built to withstand a freaking jumbo jet full of jet fuel crashing into the structure and burning for over an hour I'd give up architecture before I'd sign up for that kind of liability designing a new structure.

Prolepsis

Enlightened
Rothrandir, I believe that the tallest tower in the world is actually the CN Tower in Canada: 1,815 feet tall. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CN Tower

Doesn't show up on that many Google searches though. Not sure why...

[Edit] Upon further thought, maybe the CN Tower doesn't count as a *building* tower. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

New WTC does look pretty nice, IMO.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
We have to rebuild with something monumental and defiant. The Freedom Tower will fill that role even if its aesthetics are open to question.

Brightnorm

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Zelendeth. the towers for such a strong american icon that we should put them back to look the same as before and still refer to them as the Twin Towers or something like that.

I think that would convey a very strong message.

jtice

Flashaholic
Yea, at first, I expected them to just rebuild the twin towers, but taller. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Its not that the new designs dont look good, its that they dont have the felling of the old twin towers. Hell, I figured they would at LEAST use a twin tower design.

I am disapointed to tell you the truth.

Also, the designs I have seen for the momorial have sucked.

*I* think it should be two huge black marble, (or stone of som sort) towers. Plain, black, square pillars, with the names of every 911 death on them. Placed in the middle of where the twin towers were, nothing else around them. Just two black 50 foot towers.
Also,,,, and this is not cuz I am a flashaholic,,,,, both towers should have those beams they had shinning into the shy days after 911. Those two beams of light pircing the night shy were.... well, touching really.