looking into 3 lights

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I desperately need a new light (my old one died) and I'm looking into 3 and am a bit confused on what to look for.

The 3 lights that I'm considering buying are:
The Surefire E2 Executive Elite
The Surefire E1 Executive Elite
and the Streamlight TL-2 LED

I'm leaning towards the Streamlight because I've heard good things about LED's, but have used normal lights for years. any advice would be great.

robk

Enlightened
The Streamlight TL-2 LED is an excellent light in my opinion. I have 2, they are well made, resistor driven LED lights that use a reflector for good throw.
Of course, the SF lights are made better, but at a higher cost. You could get an E2e and put a KL1 LED head on it. Benefit: semi-regulated (instead of resistored), and it's a SF so it will hold up. Drawbacks: It uses a NX-05 optic which will not throw a spot as well as the TL-2's reflector. The run-time should be the same, or close, but the SF will stay brighter for a while longer.
Rob

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could I get some kind of a deal on the surefire and the LED conversion head? dropping 130 for a light and head seems a bit step, but if i get 5 years out of the new sure fire it would be worth it.

btw, how much is a good price for a E2E?

robk

Enlightened
You may want to keep your eye on B/S/T here on the forum, as the whole SureFire retail program is changing. Even used, most people who are selling them here have taken real good care of them. I think I paid $60 for a "perfect" E2e, then found a KL1 for about $30. The KL1 (as most are) was a little on the bluish side, so I did have to put a better binned LED in it. There are a few people here selling modded KL1's for fair prices.
Whatever you decide, I'd advise being careful if you go on eBay and see sales from "Knife-Yenta", a few of us have had problems and he is a miserable person to deal with. Although he has sold quite a few SF lights.
Rob

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this would be pushing the dollar amount up...given any thought to the SF L4? If you want only one high quality light...folks sure seem to love that one. It would put you at the cutting edge of technology. Just a thought.

Ken

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast
An L-4 huh? Well, that may be an option, I only really considered the three I did because some friends (hikers, avid outdoorsman ect...) that use their lights everyday recommended them. As for me I need a bright, dependable light. I have a few maglite AAs, but they aren't that bright compared to SF's, and every time they take a big fall (say 2-4 feet) they seem to get banged up really good. I don't plan to ever drop a light, but in wet/slippery conditions, it happens.

As for me, I hike/climb alot, and carry a light around everyday, so it gets a fair amount of use.

I think I'll wait until after Christmas and see if there are any sales going on. I'm sure I'll be able to find a nice SF with a LED adapter somewhere as they seem pretty common.

As for the L-4 what kind of battery life does it get, and what candle power (or lums?) will it give at it's peak?

ViciousCycle74

Newly Enlightened
The L4 is 65+ lumens and runs for about an hour with consistent brightness, and usable light for quite a while after that. It's pretty hard to find a significantly better all around utility light; they are very bright, very small and easy to carry every day. My L4 is one of my favorite EDCs (that and my A2). Mine has been dropped fairly hard several times, and you really have to look hard to se any damage at all

B@rt

Flashaholic
If you plan to use the light a lot, why not go with one that can use rechargeables? The FT3C from Elekrolumens still is fairly small, but uses a 3W LED and runs a long time on 3 NiMH C-cells... Seems to me it is one of the best deals around for a 3watter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

btw,
welcome.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Erik Johnson

Newly Enlightened
I use my L4 mostly for short intermittent use (I think some incandescents don't like a lot on and off switching, but I'm not sure). LEDs for me are the way to go for everything but ultra throw. The wide light path from the L4 is really great. A lot of people use Pila rechargeables in their L4s (Lithium Ion). The down side of the L4 is that it won't project a spot way out there. The L4 is my favorite LED (so far), and the TigerLight for a good throwing incandescent rechargeable).

Erik.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I don`t have a L-4...yet...but it seems to be a short to medium range light. Most of us have found that this is the range used 90%+ of the time. It has been discribed as projecting a bright, wide, "wall of light".

I haven`t heard of any disapointments with this light...some seem to even prefer it to the more expensive L-5 and L-6. It doesn`t have a great run time...1 hour if I remember...before the regulater starts to loose the fight. But fairly constant brightness for that 1 hour.

Ken

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
thesurefire, with your given criteria I would recommend that you go with the TL2 LED (of your 3 given lights). I don't have one and have heard good things, but what makes me recommend it over the E2e and E1e is the "every time they take a big fall (say 2-4 feet)." A bulb or LA would have problems surviving this impact, whereas LEDs tend to be much more shock resistant. Like robk pointed out, Surefires tend to be better than Streamlights, but do cost more.

-Mike

Overall, I would recommend the TL2 for a rough use light, and a rechargable for every day use to save $ (even at $1.25 each 123's add up fast). A G2R might be the way to go, but more on that later.