Run time using Eneloops in a 3D LED Maglight ??

Madcow07

Newly Enlightened
Has a test been done or can anyone make an educated guess how much run time I might get using 3 AA eneloops instead of alkalines in a 3D LED Maglight? It has a Cree emitter and the package states 79 hours with alkalines. Or, would it be better to use the D size adaptors that hold 3AA cells? I did a search and could not find anything.

This light is kept in my vehicle mainly for an emergency light.

I don't trust alkalines anymore as I have had several leakers in the last few years. I am happy with the light and don't want to change to anything else. I am just concerned with battery leakage. I already have a supply of Eneloops with 1AA to 1D adaptors.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglite_Rebel_Runtime.png

ragnarok164

Newly Enlightened
Well, if you are interested, amazon has some eneloop LSD Rechargeable Battery D-size 5,700mAh from Japanese sellers.

Madcow07

Newly Enlightened
Well, if you are interested, amazon has some eneloop LSD Rechargeable Battery D-size 5,700mAh from Japanese sellers.
I bet those are expensive.

I might try 2 or 3 AA to D adaptors. I have the Eneloop AA batteries already. It would seem I could get double or triple the run time of the chart above.

I'm not sure if it is safe for the flashlight and would work as I think.

Madcow07

Newly Enlightened
I just checked Amazon for Eneloop D cells. It appears they are $30 each. More than I'm willing to pay. So I may still look for 2 or 3 AA adaptors. Or, I have the single adaptors already. I could try them. This light is rarely used. I keep it in my truck for emergencies only.

When running Eneloops in a Maglight, the voltage drops and the light goes out without any battery damage? What if accidentally left on for some hours after the light went dark?

If this gets too costly, I might just use alkalines and when they leak, replace the light.

Anyone have any other or better ideas?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for that chart. I think the Cree is a bit more efficient than the Rebel, so I might get a little more time.

Usually a manufacturer will use the same driver with different LEDs, so if one LED is more efficient, it will usually show in greater brightness than extended runtime.

I'd run Eneloops in AA>D adapters... it's a robust cell, not much you can do to damage them.

Richwouldnt

Enlightened
I have a batch of the three AA in parallel to D adapters from a Chinese ebay source. MUCH cheaper than the ones from Battery Junction but based on photos they look like the same items. Two of them loaded with white wrapper eneloops ran my Fenix TK50 at maximum output for three hours and the output there is a lot more I believe than from a LED Maglite.

thepit56

Newly Enlightened
I just started using 3 Eneloop XX's in AA to D adapters in my 3D LED maglite. They obviously work fine but I haven't gotten to do a runtime test yet. Running 9AA's in parallel 3AA to D adapters would be pretty epic....won't make up for the fact that 3.6v will only output ~130lm though. I mean a comparably priced Fenix E-11 puts out about the same output but with only one Eneloop.

Also the standard eneloops seem to respond better to high drain lights so I use the XX's in the relatively low drain maglite since they have 25% more capacity.

Madcow07

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies and tips about adaptors. I am going to use Eneloops. Initially, just the 1 AA to 1 D adaptor while I decide on a source for 3 AA holders.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Madcow,
Personally, I wouldn't tie up 9 eneloops in a light that rarely gets used, that's your decision. If I already had the single AA to D adapters, I'd use them.
Either I'd fill it with a total of three eneloops, and carry a four pack of energizer AA lithiums, or get an 8 pack of lithiums, and put three of them in the light.

The lithiums should last a little longer than the eneloops, so I guess about 6 hours to 50%, and with a single replacement, you'd get through a 12 hour night. The batteries have a ten year shelf life (I think). They also hold up the best in the heat of the car.

Madcow07

Newly Enlightened
I just started using 3 Eneloop XX's in AA to D adapters in my 3D LED maglite. They obviously work fine but I haven't gotten to do a runtime test yet. Running 9AA's in parallel 3AA to D adapters would be pretty epic....won't make up for the fact that 3.6v will only output ~130lm though. I mean a comparably priced Fenix E-11 puts out about the same output but with only one Eneloop.

Also the standard eneloops seem to respond better to high drain lights so I use the XX's in the relatively low drain maglite since they have 25% more capacity.

If you do a runtime test, please post the results. Also which cells used for the test: standard or XX.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you use single AA to D adapters, it defeats the whole purpose of using high-capacity D cells in a light. You may as well get a 2xAA light and use that instead, it will be smaller and last just as long.

Bob Damon

Enlightened
In most cases, I think you are right. But, I have some lanterns for power outages, and keep some AA to D converters for if I run out of D cells.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got the XP-E endowed 3D Maglite running 6 Eneloops (3S, 2P). Each cell measured 1.35v and I got 420ma at the tail turned on. That would give you at least 8hrs of light from 4,000mah cells, probably closer to 9hrs.