Hat Carry Method

sjc

Newly Enlightened
Bought the DQG XPG2 R5-1A for $19 delivered after reading Ven's great review and I love it. Also bought a Tec Hat from Scottevest, which has a zipper pocket in the side and velcro pocket under the visor. Came up with the following ideas:

IMG_2452_zps1b8849c5.jpg

Need to hold it in the pocket with friction against your head. Definitely could fall out without much effort. You could probably put a fat rubber band around the shaft of the light near the clicky to increase resistance.

IMG_2454_zpsf34a2436.jpg

There is a velcro pocket on the underside of the visor:
IMG_2458_zps6e7cb083.jpg

Here it is opened:
IMG_2463_zpsbe81419f.jpg

So I attached my Sunwayman V11Rvn using the supplied pocket clip without modification:
IMG_2459_zpsac050b33.jpg

It ends up working just like a headlamp. I'm sure there many lights in the AAA, AA, and CR125a camps that could be substituted. By the way, I can also easily fit my Swiss Army Knife Compact (favorite EDC SAK) in the same side pocket as the DQG with room to spare.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool.
Cut a little slit in a regular hat for a clip entry point and you could do this without the specific hat.
Awesome carry method.

sjc

Newly Enlightened
Tmack, you got me thinking about some alternatives: could glue a rare earth magnet under the visor and stick it to the clip. Could also use magnet on the side. Or glue velcro to the visor and rubber band it around the light. Better way would be to make your own pocket under the visor with hot glue and a piece of denim or heavy nylon, gluing each side and leaving the center channel open for the clip. I don't think it would be quite as neat or secure as the visor pocket, but would likely work.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm loving the magnet idea.
My sd6vn already has a super strong rare earth on the end and even just a piece of metal in the hat would work.

zapu4yte.jpg

sjc

Newly Enlightened
I like the coat hanger "bubba clip" in that link but also like the idea from ThrowerLover with the Lucky Line Belt Hook Key Holder. Looks like you could take the Key Holder and put the flashlight clip right into it, then stabilize the shaft of the light with a magnet affixed to the Key Holder that would attract the clip. I still think the $20 hat is simpler.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is that where you get one of those key holders? Thanks for that, was looking for a few.

Some more variations of the clip. This time using the old clip from a Zebralight H501 and a L3 L10.
20131021_104621.jpg

Of course, lots of lights have clips that either are reversible or are bezel up which makes it easier to attach to a cap such as the Xeno S3A, or Olight S10. Seems that being able to clip to a hat has become a requirement of mine when it comes to looking at new lights.