Newbie needs help selecting AA light

B

BeaverTrapper

Hello everyone. I've been lurking and researching here for a long time, and have finally decided to decloak.

I am looking for a handheld light to be used while kayaking at night. When out at night in the rivers and lakes, I need a light to shine the bank and find my take out point, or campsite. Also, I need a light that can be used to scan the surface of the lake to locate floating jugs while jugfishing.

My criteria are as follows:

1) Must be able to run on AA NiMh rechargeables.
2) Would prefer a long throw with a tight beam.
3) Water resistant/ability to float would be great, but not mandatory. I usually dummcord my stuff to the boat.

I had pretty much decided upon the PT Surge, as it seemed like the brightest AA handheld out there, but I found out it won't work with rechargeables.

Since having a baby and going broke buying batteries, I've tried to switch everything over to AA's and AAA's for cost reasons.

Battery life is not a big factor, as I use a LED headlight most of the time, but just need a bright light to scan the bank when I get close to home, so it's an "off and on" type of light.

Any suggestions will be appreciated, and thanks already for all the great posts - I've learned a heck of a lot over the past weeks!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
- I think Elektrolumens offers a Blaster version that runs on 6xAA.
- then there's the MR-X, but it is a bit hard to get at the moment.
- watch B/S/T and Modders B/S/T for MagLite mods with 5W Luxeons that run on AAs, they show up from time to time.
bernhard

P.S.: before purchase always ask if the light will tolerate NiMh's ... I am no experts on those. DD lights will have problems here.

paulr

Flashaholic
The Surge works fine with rechargeables but has kind of a wide beam. The Tec 40 has a polished reflector available for a narrower beam, but I haven't compared them. The UKE SL6 has a very narrow beam and might be what you want, but runs on six C's. I guess you could use AA NiMH's with those adapter sleeves. I'm a little puzzled though. If you're going to use the light for only a few minutes on an outing, a set of alkaline cells should last a very long time, and there's no need to mess with rechargeables. Rechargeables are best if you're using the light a lot every day.

B

BeaverTrapper

paulr:

Thats interesting that you say the Surge works fine with rechargeables. I emailed PT and asked them if it would work with rechargeables, and they wrote back The Surge "is only recommended for alkaline batteries". I guess if I read the words exactly, they did not say that it wouldn't work with rechargeables - only that they recommend alkalines. I guess it pays to read carefully.

I'll check out the Tec 40 as well. The reason I am using rechargeables is simply that with all the battery powered gadgets we have (from my camping stuff to the babies toys, along with digicams, scanners and everything else), I just decided that it was a logistical nightmare to keep up with it all and to make sure that I had fresh cells when I needed them. I just decided to switch everything over to two common sizes if at all possible, and get rechargeables and finally be done with it.

The Impact XL looks interesting. Can an LED light really match the throw of of a halogen bulb?

Anyway, thanks guys. I will probably go with one of the PT lights since I now know that they will work with rechargeables - even though the manufacturer doesn't recommend them.

Ya'll have a Merry (and well lit) Christmas!

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
paulr -

I know you are expert in many lighting areas including Princeton Tech so I'm hesitant to comment. I'm sure I've heard the Surge bulb goes poof on NiMhs. Did something change or am I possibly recalling incorrect information? TIA.

BeaverTrapper -

That Impact XL looks good and waterproof but I don't know if it will handle NiMhs. I would think it could since it's running a 1W Luxeon star but at 4AA I wonder what circuitry it might be using. I would want more umph for spotting the shore and sweeping for jugs.

The Blaster IV will handle NiMhs and it is a 5W star pushing photons through a 30mm optic which would be great for finding jugs...good throw, good rendition, less sweeping necessary, water resistant. It does have the 5W weak spot in the middle of the beam but my experience is that it is inconsequential in night fishing applications. I just threw mine in the sink for a few minutes and saw no bubbles. The inside was dry afterward. The only problem I see is that even though it is smaller and lighter than a standard 2D it is still an Aluminum flashlight and has some heft to it.

These PTs paulr and flashlightDR are talking about might be more happy in a Kayak than a Blaster. This from a huge Blaster fan. I think there are better lights for your purpose but they don't fit your AA NiMh requirement.

I almost forgot. Welcome to CandlePowerForums. Hope you opened some Christmas cards that contained cash. Sounds like you're gonna need it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
Hah, I'd hardly call myself an expert. I just know that several CPF'ers have run Surges on NiMH without problems. NiMH voltage is a little lower than alkaline, so if anything the bulb will last LONGER. You may be thinking of lithium AA's, which have slightly higher voltage than alkaline. Those might in fact burn out the bulb prematurely.

My own Surge has alkalines in it mainly because because I use it so infrequently that NiMH's would self discharge by the time I needed the light. Alkalines have shelf life of several years. But I might try putting some NiMH in my Surge just to be sure.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's what it was...lithiums poof the Surge. For the price/throw/power Surge is probably a great choice.

If you get a chance, would you take a peek at CalgaryGuy's thread on SL4AA vs ImpactXL? I'd like to see what you think about that.

Thanks for straightening this deal out for me.

- Jeff

paulr

Flashaholic
I have no experience with the Impact XL. I know the old Impacts had a focusing lens that made a very narrow beam that wasn't IMO very useful. The XL apparently makes a wider beam but I haven't seen one yet. The SL 4AA is popular around here. I just bought one but it hasn't arrived yet.