Mag Charger mod

RH

Enlightened
Can anyone tell me exactly what is required to modify the mag charger with the welch allyn bulb? Do I just need to buy the bulb? Do I need a new reflector? What is potted or not potted?

Thanks.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
Just get a WA01160 and replace the existing lamp with the WA. I'd recommend not touching the bulbs with your fingers or hands, it might leave an oily residue that will greatly shorten the bulb life.

You do not need a potted bulb or a new reflector.

It might be tricky finding the WA01160 bulb, I'm working on that problem myself. Welch Allyn only accepts orders for $100 or more.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
I think Phaserburn has done runtime test and gets ~40 minutes with PowerStream 1/2D [2500mAh] batteries. I'm sure the stock batteries will not last quite that long. I'd guess 20-30 minutes, but I have not actually timed anything.

Check Phaserburn's posts, here is one.

cheesehead

Flashlight Enthusiast
01111 would seem to be about 70% less bright (which I guess is barely noticeable), except to a CPF-where it's an obvious difference. Plus, the bulbs aren't WA, but does that make a difference? Have you had good luck with this 01111?

cheese

turbodog

Flashaholic
Well, I have kept on looking and stumbled across the WA website. Pretty much answered my quuestions about specs. I assume that if I stay with a bulb that meets the physical dimensions of a 01111 or 01160 that the bulb will fit my MC. Depending on how these 01111 bulbs look that I have ordered, I could be up for a group buy from WA directly.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Someone, forgot who, posted over 2 hours RT with stock bulb and PowerStreams.

Brightnorm

Velcro

Enlightened
In the pics from that thread, the Mag's beam with WA01160 looks a bit oval, like two hotspots converging or something.
Any info on that? Also, what about the adjustability? Anything good or bad there?

With beam shots like that, the MagCharger is looking more attractive each day! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
The oval beam is standard. It is because the filament of the WA01160 is relatively long, since it is not a pinpoint source, you get the oblong shape to the beam.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right on, OCD. Additionally, the intersection of the two hotspots results in a very hot central spot. I see this with my WA01318, WA01274 and WA01185.

Wilkey