Review: Lumintop HL01 (1x XM-L2 CW, 1x 18650/2x CR123, 610 lumens)

kj2

Flashaholic
- For submission in the review-section -

One of Lumintop's latest releases, is the HL01 headlamp. As far as I know, the HL01, is their first headlamp. More will probably come ;)
Running on 1x 18650 or 2x CR123 batteries, with a lower mode of .8 lumens and a high of 610 lumens, it's quite a versatile headlamp.
The HL01 comes in two tint-versions. Cool White and Neutral White. In this review, I take a look at the CW version.

142hb9h.jpg

The packaging:

The HL01 comes in a cardboard-box with plastic insert. Inside you'll find; the HL01, headband, spare o-rings and a manual.

b6r1bd.jpg
2v2h6e0.jpg

qy5x86.jpg
5lql28.jpg

2e0mnpx.jpg

Specifications: (Given by Lumintop)

LedCREE XM-L2 U2 LED
ModesHigh, Mid, Low, Lower
Output610, 95, 8, 0.8 Lumens
Runtime1.5H, 12H, 80H, 30 Days
Length3.46 inches (88.8mm)
Diameter1.07 inches (27.6mm)
Weight90g (with headband/ without battery)
WaterproofIPX-8
Max Beam Distance100 meters

k1cuph.jpg

User Interface:

The HL01 uses two buttons to control the light. A On/Off and a mode switch. This headlamp does have a mode-memory (for brightness levels).
Use the On/Off switch to turn it On or Off. From Off, press and hold the On/Off switch to select the Lower-mode (0.8 lumens)
When On, press the mode-switch to cycle through the modes (Low>Med>High). The Lower-mode isn't part of the cycle. When On, press and hold the mode-switch to enter Strobe/SOS/slow Strobe (beacon).
From Off state it's also possible to momentarily enter High-mode, just press and hold the mode-switch.
The switches differ in height and size, so you know which button you're pressing.
Both switches are quite firm and have a hard-click sound when pressed.

21on18z.jpg
2h2jko9.jpg

The Light:

The HL01 houses the battery inside. That way you don't need a external battery-compartment. This is a advantage but also a disadvantage.
You don't have a wire-running from a battery-compartment to the light, which is positive but on the other side, I feel the weight of it on my forehead.
Threads are smooth and came well lubed. The headlamp is held in place by hard-plastic. To be honest I'm not a fan of this, and I would like to see, that this changes to a silicone/hard rubber.
The HL01 can tilt 90 degrees, and has several steps to do this. Every step comes with a 'click'. There is little movement, but the light won't tilt on his own.
On the back, of the headlamp-holder, is a soft-foam material. Although it feels soft now, I expect it to wear out quickly, when you use this headlamp often. And this foam isn't user-replaceable.

The headband that comes with the HL01, is a simple OEM-band. Marked with the text 'High Power Headlamp'. This text gives me a real cheap idea, about the headlamp. I wonder why Lumintop
didn't choose to mark it with the own brand-name. Something that Zebralight, ArmyTek, Fenix and others do.
Compared with my other headlamps, the headband on the HL01 seems shorter. So when putting it on a helmet, it can be a tight fit.

2a5ky6s.jpg
4g2i3n.jpg

2vshzzc.jpg
35a18xc.jpg

352hn41.jpg
icqsns.jpg

A look inside the battery-tube. I noticed there is some sort of a reverse-polarity protection. This isn't mentioned on the manual, so I don't know for sure if it's a feature or not.
Anyway, it did prevented my Eagletac 18650 2900mAh battery to work. I really needed a button-battery to turn the headlamp on.

2d15oqc.jpg
dlsqyh.jpg

yncck.jpg
2rr084w.jpg

Size comparison:

4j6j3q.jpg
14liw7p.jpg

(from left to right; Zebralight H602w, ArmyTek Wizard Pro warm, Lumintop HL01, Fenix HP15) - Zebralight H602w, ArmyTek Wizard Pro warm, Lumintop HL01)

Beamshots:

(To be able to compare, I photograph beamshots with the same settings. In previous review I selected settings to be as closely to what I saw in real-life. That way comparison between my reviews
can be difficult. Shutter-time is short so photos are more likely to be darker, then you would see in real-life.)

The beamshots in my last reviews where shot with the settings F/5, 1/30 sec, ISO400. Although I did try these same settings for the HL01 beamshots, I could clearly see the pics didn't do justice to what I saw.
I'm still figuring out which settings to use, to get good photos but also have the possibility so compare different reviews from me. On top of that, I had a real off-day yesterday, and it turned out the focus wasn't good.
If I've the chance, I'll re-do these beamshots as quickly as possible.

(Setting; F/5, 1/3sec, ISO400. Canon EOS 500D. Battery used; Cytac 2400mAh. Light and camera approx. 4 meters away from wall)

Low - Medium - High (wasn't able to photograph Lower-mode at all)

okz88o.jpg
308f62s.jpg

2hekk2b.jpg

Conclusion:

The HL01 has nice spaced modes and can be used in various applications. It wears not to heavy on the head and has a easy to attach headband. Switches are solid and without play.
Included headband does look cheap to me, and hope Lumintop will replace it quickly with their own branded-headband.
With an MSRP of US$59.95 it's a more expensive headlamp than I thought. It's cheaper than the known ZL-headlamps or ArmyTek headlamps of this size, but for this price I would expect just a tad more. If you're looking for a headlamp with more modes or longer runtime, this HL01 isn't for you.
But if you're looking for a easy-to-use headlamp, without needing a study for the UI, this Lumintop HL01 might be worth looking at.

- Review-sample was provided by Lumintop -

Last edited:

Blue Steel

Newly Enlightened
Nice review. Looking forward to seeing more pictures and final price. I agree that the headband is cheap looking and hope Lumintop will fix that. Also would be nice if there was an extra mode in between the 95 and 610 lumens.

kj2

Flashaholic
Nice review. Looking forward to seeing more pictures and final price. I agree that the headband is cheap looking and hope Lumintop will fix that. Also would be nice if there was an extra mode in between the 95 and 610 lumens.

MSRP is USD 59.95

kj2

Flashaholic
Extra beamshots. Comparison between HL01, ArmyTek Wizard Pro warm and Zebralight H600MKII L2.
All photos taken with Canon EOS 500D, f/5 1/2 sec ISO400.

HL01 - High

2mfccn6.jpg

HL01 - Medium

29mnihj.jpg

Zebralight H600MKII L2 - on H1 (1090 lumens)

dtt3s.jpg

H600MKII L2 - M1 (70 lumens)

154kacp.jpg

H600MKII L2 - M2 (32 lumens)

2e393m0.jpg

Wizard Pro - on highest mode (1120 lumens)

14y7nue.jpg

Highest modes all combined in a picture.

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review and pictures. Man that Wizard is big. H1 and M1 of H600 look the same. H600 appears to the the brightest showing the tree branches behind the gate. HL01 seems the most floody.

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
I didn't really notice how floody the HL01 until I shot these photos, last evening. It's a plus IMO. :)