CR123A Batteries on SF LED Lights? (Picking the right Battery)

itsonlyme

Newly Enlightened
Just a question I would like to ask for all you Surefire fans out here.

Is it OK to get a CR123A batteries other than Surefire brand like Energizer or Duracell?
Because what if one does not have a Surefire dealer close to their place or not even a computer to order these online from Surefire???

I saw some photos online of various CR123A packages and sometimes they just have in front a picture of a camera logo right on the package to ensure its good for cameras. But can they also be used in Surefire LED flashlights?

Then, I saw some photos that had a camera and a flashlight logo on the package, meaning its good for camera and flashlights.

Of course, one will not (hopefully) buy off-brand cells....

Please help.

Thanks

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quality USA-made cells are fine. In addition to Energizer and Duracell you should also consider Panasonic and Battery Station. There are probably others that I'm missing.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
The last time I was on Surefire's website, they indicated that use of anything other than Surefire, Panasonic, Duracell, or Energizer would void the warranty. Other than the warranty issue, any CR123 made in the US or Japan should be fine. Despite the warranty statement, I once had a light returned from warranty service by Surefire with one Surefire cell and one Streamlight cell inside the light.

I do use Titanium Innovations CR2 cells since all my CR2 lights are single cell. However, the safety subforum of the electronics section here contains at least one report of a flashlight explosion involving Titanium Innovations cells in a 2 cell light.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quality USA-made cells are fine. In addition to Energizer and Duracell you should also consider Panasonic and Battery Station. There are probably others that I'm missing.

880 nailed it. All USA made cells are made at the same factory, from what I remember reading online. Doesn't matter if it is Rayovac, Surefire, Streamlight, Battery Station, Duracel, Energizer, Panasonic, etc. They are all the same (and good quality).

Do not buy anything not made in the USA.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only use SF, Panasonic and Sanyo. I had a G2LED burn out the emitter because I left on for an hour using Sanyo cells(I doubt it was the cells' fault, the bezel was very hot, and the KX4-BKHA can take 3 cells).
SF email told me Sanyos are not included among the recommended brands and that using them voids warranty, but they sent me a new KX4 anyway.

itsonlyme

Newly Enlightened
So are Energizers and Duracell good enough for my LX2 Lumamax light?
And would any electronic stores carry CR123As?

Thanks for the support.

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
So are Energizers and Duracell good enough for my LX2 Lumamax light?
And would any electronic stores carry CR123As?

Thanks for the support.

Yes, and yes. However, you'll pay much more buying CR123 in a brick and mortar store than if you source them online. I've purchased CR123s as low as 1.20 each in the past, whereas locally the brick and mortar stores want $2+ each.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Top tier" Are Duracell, Surefire, Panasonic.

I believe in one of the battery threads the rest of USA made cells had slightly less runtime. Selfbuilt battery shootout thread I think.
This matches I think with what Surefire recommends on there battery page. Could you use an Energizer battery? Of course, but you have to decide wether or not the slight decrease in runtime is worth the cost savings for brand X.

At any rate BUY MADE IN THE USA (FLASHLIGHT, NOT "PHOTO") CR123 CELLS FROM A REPUTABLE AUTHORIZED DEALER.

:huh:

itsonlyme

Newly Enlightened
But what if one does not have a Surefire dealer nearby?
Can they just go in an electronics store and get these batteries?

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
But what if one does not have a Surefire dealer nearby?
Can they just go in an electronics store and get these batteries?

I don't look any more when I'm in electronic stores as I'm accustomed to seeing one of two things: a) batteries of dubious origin usually combined with b) extremely high prices ($4 to $14 per battery). Admittedly I don't spend a lot of time in these stores so there are probably exceptions I don't know about. If you live near a Wal-Mart or other place that sells hunting supplies you may want to check there.

If you can share any general information about where you are, it may help others give you more specific advice.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
You will get far better deals buying online, especially if you buy in bulk. I order my CR123 cells directly from Surefire.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
For a single cell light, yes. For a two cell light, I prefer two cells in the same package, so you know they are both equally new/old and very likely to be matched in voltage and remaining capacity.

itsonlyme

Newly Enlightened
Even though the package has only a camera symbol and NOT a flashlight symbol, it is still OK to use?

This would be my final question hopefully regarding cells.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even though the package has only a camera symbol and NOT a flashlight symbol, it is still OK to use?

This would be my final question hopefully regarding cells.

Yes, I was referring to the cheaper ones that specifically mention cameras and not much else " Brand XXX 500 flashes!". As 880 said, where are you located that you do not have access to cells?

That would be a big help in connecting you to a reputable source for batteries. If say, your in Germany, there are great CR123s made there that should be ok.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yup, any brand of Made in America CR123 cells is fine. To save money, buy from a reputable online dealer and buy in bulk. You save a staggering amount of money.