Time to retire my Rexlight

bullpup

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

Does anyone still use this light or has 2007 technology become outdated? I did pick up all the lights for sale from another member so hopefully the thrunites he has will be a big improvement. this light was a big step from the 2aa Maglite but after Sandy hit i need more light.

If anyone is still using please let me know. I know it is not a great light but has lasted 7 years. please no negative comments.

Thank you

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have the version 2.0. thinking of upgrading to the 2.1 which was made in 2008. remember when that was all the light you needed? i use a 14500 in mine and it still is a nice light. but yes i think i feel your pain. it's lasted you long, it still works and you don't want to let it go

bullpup

Newly Enlightened
Yes i waited so long for it back in 2007. Remember the preorder that kept getting pushed back? I have serial number 079. Wow have times changed

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe you can get the LED switched out / modded to a more efficient one. There are some custom modders on that forms that may be able to do that for you. You get to use the same light, just better runtimes and output.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
As Cerealand pointed, a simple emitter swap and this light will feel much younger. It was a KaiDomain version of the Jetbeam MKIIX and it's still a very nice design. Keep it and upgrade it.

bullpup

Newly Enlightened
Maybe you can get the LED switched out / modded to a more efficient one. There are some custom modders on that forms that may be able to do that for you. You get to use the same light, just better runtimes and output.

Oh that is a great idea. It was my first led and i remember just shining it for hours amazed at the brightness. It does have flaws but new driver and emitter would be a great idea. Where would I check on CPF to see who could mod this? I am not sure if this is the right place to ask but this really did get my LED start and intro into the CPF forums Kinda like your first love. If anyone wants to mod this and it is not against Terms please pm me. Thanks for the great idea,

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since SOYCD is in your signature, he has done some modding, but I don't know if he provides it as a service. You can PM him to see.

Another person would be VinhNguyen. He has a subforum under the customer builder/modder. You can PM for options and a quote. I currently have two 120 GD HDS at Vinh's for led swaps.

bullpup

Newly Enlightened
Since SOYCD is in your signature, he has done some modding, but I don't know if he provides it as a service. You can PM him to see.

Another person would be VinhNguyen. He has a subforum under the customer builder/modder. You can PM for options and a quote. I currently have two 120 GD HDS at Vinh's for led swaps.

Thank you all for the positive responses. I always remember when i first got it whenever power went out i always said get the Rexlight. After Sandy hit hard the drain from the Rexlight was far greater then expected. Like it really eat batteries, I did pick up several lights today on the marketplace buy/sell forum. I know the lights are better then the Rex. Kills me knowing if I give the Rex to my teenage daughter it will be lost forever very quickly. Thank you all again for the positive ideas,

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
I still have an original grey, I did have both black and grey with the upgrade.

Norm

adnj

Enlightened
That was a great light. I was on the original pre-order. Keep it. It will still be a great back up light.