Flashlight And Component Storage / Transportation

Big Al W

Newly Enlightened
Happy Xmas All.

Probably my 4th ever post here so be gentle :) Wanted to get your views on my recent kit - interior of which I fashioned tonight with a Dremel, spray adhesive and some Humbrol Matt black spray paint!

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Z...AAAAAAACzTY/K81fuahKC-g/s2048-no/IMG_2071.JPG

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-D...AAAAAAACzTg/zj7-VZg9V5U/s2048-no/IMG_2072.JPG

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-T...AAAAAAACzTo/_v8_3pgEFB4/s2048-no/IMG_2070.JPG

TM06, TM36, P25 (Black), EA1, E99TI (Ltd Edition)

Last edited:

timbo114

Enlightened
Welcome to the forum.
Welcome to the addiction. :devil:

Nice work, precision fitment.
Continue on and cut some space for spare cell storage as well.

Last edited:

Big Al W

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Timbo :) space for cells is tight, I'm going to have to assume that cells (or spares) would be inside the charger (can carry four) or in the torches themselves as the remaining space is for my yet to be ordered 4000 lumen TM26, once released in 2015 of course :)

Thinking about it, could perhaps get a couple of double battery cases vertically stored in the the top left corner... Hmmmm

Ray-o-light

Newly Enlightened
I have a similar black plastic case that housed a bunch of cassette tapes at one time. I rescued it from a dumpster. Found a local shop that sells the pick-n-pluck foam. So I've been thinking about making it my illumination kit. However, i like the way the foam cut-outs in your box look totally professional! How did you do that if you don't mind me asking?

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

Looking good Big Al! :thumbsup:

Maybe a lint roller in the last pic and you are set! ;)

Big Al W

Newly Enlightened
Yes, 4 layers.. Helps with shaping the lower levels so non cylindrical torches (like The TM36) can rest flat yet still be supported. Was a bit if a learning curve cutting the foam, lots on people online saying best to use a serrated edge or electric knife.. I found that best results came from using a circular sanding tool on a Dremel to cut the edges, then a damn sharp non serrated knife to do the rest. Leatherman surge xmas present came in to her own ;-)

Big Al W

Newly Enlightened
Also, set the lines with tooth picks to mark the corners of the torches, then follow a straight edge with the dremel. Have to say that the dremel is the real way to get things looking really neat... It's very hard otherwise, and can end up looking jaggered etc... (As I found out on the first cut for the battery charger). It's also possible to do circular groves really easily (see top plug slot)

The photos don't really do it justice IMHO, the foam is very black and Matt, no imperfections can be seen.. Might take a snap in daytime tomorrow :). Appreciate your interest, thanks. Defo do it, it looks really slick when the gear is all snug in slots

Last edited:

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Nice setup!

Thanks Timbo :) space for cells is tight, I'm going to have to assume that cells (or spares) would be inside the charger (can carry four) or in the torches themselves as the remaining space is for my yet to be ordered 4000 lumen TM26, once released in 2015 of course :)

Thinking about it, could perhaps get a couple of double battery cases vertically stored in the the top left corner... Hmmmm

Just a heads-up - all of the chargers I've come across will drain cells if they are left in the slots for storage.

Big Al W

Newly Enlightened
Ok thanks, appreciated... Will have to drill some more slots :)

Ray-o-light

Newly Enlightened
Using tooth picks or pins is a great idea for marking out the flashlight dimensions. Thanks for the great photos too! I think I'm going to have to give it a try. Thanks again for the inspiration.

Big Al W

Newly Enlightened
Using tooth picks or pins is a great idea for marking out the flashlight dimensions. Thanks for the great photos too! I think I'm going to have to give it a try. Thanks again for the inspiration.

Good luck Ray, cheers for the Kudos. If you don't use a Dremel, be sure to use a damn sharp knife.. A scalpel and ruler might even do the trick for marking the initial lines.. Good luck, post the results!