DOO WOP

SilverFox

Flashaholic
I think a few of you may remember DOO WOP.

For me, it was that period after polka's, waltz's, and fox trots, and before Elvis and the British invasion. Of course my recollection is a bit skewed and was influenced by my parents.

I remember going over to friends houses and hearing older brothers and sisters harmonizing to the DOO WOP tunes. I enjoy all types of music, but have a tender spot in my heart for the harmony of DOO WOP.

My family got me a DVD collection of DOO WOP for Christmas. These are a series of concerts sponsored by public TV and WQED in Pittsburgh, created and produced by T. J. Lubinsky. Each concert features the remaining members of the original DOO WOP groups and pays tribute to DOO WOP the fore runner of rock and roll.

Some of these guys and gals are in their 50's, 60's, and 70's (and maybe 80's) and I think they sound better now than when they recorded their smash hits. What a sense of history and what great music.

Some of my favorites include:

Since I don't have You – Jimmy Beaumont and the Skyliners
Earth Angle – The Penguins
Duke of Earl – Gene Chandler
Blue Moon – The Marcels
Gloria – The Cadillacs
Sincerely – Harvey and the Moonglows
I only have Eyes for You – The Flamingos
Goodnight, Sweet heart, Goodnight – The Spaniels
The Lion Sleeps Tonight – The Tokens
Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow – Shirley Alston Reeves
Oh What a Night – The Dells
Love Potion #9 – The Clovers
One Fine Day – The Chiffons
What's Your Name – Don and Juan
A Thousand Stars – Kathy Young and the Innocents
Silhouettes – Hal Miller and the Rays
You Belong to Me – The Duprees
For Your Love – Ed Townsend
Lightnin' Strikes – Lou Christie
Hurt So Bad – Little Anthony and the Imperials
Since I Fell for You – Lenny Welch
Cone Softly to Me – The Fleetwoods
Daddy's Home – Shep's Limelights
Cara Mia – Jay Black and the Americans
He Don't Love You (Like I Love You) – Jerry Butler
In the Still of the Night – Fred Parris and the Satins

WOW, the list just goes on and on.

What a fantastic batch of music from our music history. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching these "seasoned" performers in concert as they brought back fond memories. I am going to have to dig out my oldies CD's now to compare the sounds from back then.

Tom

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
doo wop is one of the genres i listen to most..

as i myself am a hip hop musician, i frequently find great samples from doo wop to use. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

i think i'm gonna listen to "Earth Angel" right now actually, got me in the mood.

Edit:
thanks for this post!

TOB9595

Enlightened
Aaahhh! the songs and tunes are going thru my head.
A very nice Blast from the Past.

What's your name
What's your name
Is it Mary or ........
aaaahhhhhh
Tom

Empath

Flashaholic
This wasn't before Elvis. This was the period of time following Elvis' shakeup of the recording world. Tin Pan Alley was on it's death bed, and all that had come before was gone. Doo Wop was something offered as the recording industry attempted to figure out the new concept that the youth were the buyers and they would be the ones to make or break artists and songs.

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, i actually know one of those songs! Since i dont have you by The Skyliners. Mind you, i only know it from the Guns n Roses cover, so i guess that doesnt really count.