Soldering iron kit ?

bella-headlight

Newly Enlightened
I want to purchase a soldering iron, preferably a kit.
Any suggestions please, wattage, tip sizes, type of solder, other items required.
Preferably a kit containing everything I need to get started.
BTW I have never soldered before :eek:
Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions & I hope I have put this in the correct part of the site :)

bella-headlight

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the links lb.
I know nothing about soldering having never done any.
Do I really need a 90-100 euro kit to do my first bit of soldering which will just be soldering a couple of wires to terminals in a battery holder pack ?
I may eventually get into modding lights but I doubt it.
However if those are the types of set ups I require then I will pay that amount.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many professional users use gas powered soldering irons.Average price for a decent gas iron is about £60 but you can start from just a few quid.

£55.95

Sealey Butane Gas Heating / Soldering Torch Kit

Portable and lightweight torch with piezoelectric start. Features adjustable heating control ranging up to 450°C (approximately). Removable solder tip transforms torch into burning flame heat source. Includes a variety of nozzles for various applications including a flameless heat source adaptor. Safety cap for storage. Sponge cleaning tray and small roll of solder wire. Suitable for heating, soldering and shrinking. Powered by Butane (lighter fuel). Supplied in storage case.

Contents: Butane Solder Torch, Deflector Nozzle, 3 x Solder Tips, Hot Knife Tip, Sponge Stand, Safety Cap, Solder Wire, Spanner

If you really want electric Sealey do a kit for £39.95

Sealey Soldering Gun/Iron Kit 8pc 240v

Comprehensive soldering kit comprising a 100W instant heat soldering gun, a 30W soldering iron with stand, a third hand support, solder-sucker, scraper/probe, spare soldering tips and a roll of flux cored solder wire. Soldering irons fitted with BS approved 3 pin 230V/13Amp plugs.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Electric soldering guns take longer to heat up to proper temps and take longer to cool off after the job. Electric has more pinpoint application. Gas torches have a much wider heat area with more chances to heat items you might not want to get as hot.I don't know what the UK equivalent to Radio Shack is! An electronic parts store should carry the soldering iron and solder wire you need to do the job. IMO electric irons are easier to use for small soldering jobs.

bella-headlight

Newly Enlightened
Electric soldering guns take longer to heat up to proper temps and take longer to cool off after the job. Electric has more pinpoint application. Gas torches have a much wider heat area with more chances to heat items you might not want to get as hot.I don't know what the UK equivalent to Radio Shack is! An electronic parts store should carry the soldering iron and solder wire you need to do the job. IMO electric irons are easier to use for small soldering jobs.

Thanks for that & is what I was originally thinking of but thought I would ask on here as I have no experience.
Would something like this do http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Soldering...Garden_PowerTools_SM&var=&hash=item1c4936847e
It is available in different wattages (25-60 watts) & mica or ceramic although I don"t know what the difference is.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

Talking bs fella,the modern professional gas guns are micro flame and used by auto electricians in confined space without ill effects like setting fires and burning items.

Gas guns are far easier and quicker to use.

gunga

Flashaholic
I don't understand these comments about gas irons? You will be fine with electric. I've done dozens of mods (or more) using electric, as do most modders here (I assume). You may want to upgrade to a better iron at some point, but once you get the technique down, you can solder most things just fine. You may want a smaller tip to work on lights though. That may be an issue with the one you bought: tip availability. I had a butane iron from Radio Shack. Hated it, never had great temp control. Was costly too. It could be user error, but I never liked it. YMMV.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Temperature control is very important, especially for a novice, I'd be buy the best my budget would allow. All my soldering irons are Weller, the oldest is still going strong after 20 years.

Edit: I just remembered I also have a Bosch butane iron, used for quick fixes away from the mains, I wouldn't recommend gas for a first iron.

Norm

Last edited:

bella-headlight

Newly Enlightened
I don't understand these comments about gas irons? You will be fine with electric. I've done dozens of mods (or more) using electric, as do most modders here (I assume). You may want to upgrade to a better iron at some point, but once you get the technique down, you can solder most things just fine. You may want a smaller tip to work on lights though. That may be an issue with the one you bought: tip availability. I had a butane iron from Radio Shack. Hated it, never had great temp control. Was costly too. It could be user error, but I never liked it. YMMV.

It has a .6mm tip.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

Modern quality gas irons are tiny, quick and cordless. Mechanics cannot mess about waiting for an electric iron to warm up,remember they are on a time for job and can earn bonus under book time.A simple solder job can be done in a few seconds.

I much prefer a gas iron.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your electric will be fine.

You might find it's too hot for some things (melts the insulation on your wires, turns solder dull or dark too fast, etc). If so, just get an ordinary lamp dimmer to cool it down.

If you're going to do lots of work, or try to assemble parts on boards, or do any really fine work, you'd be wise to invest in a temperature controlled iron. But for soldering a few wires here and there, you're fine with what you got.

Gas irons may be fast, but I'm betting that waiting a minute or two for an electric to heat up and five for it to cool down isn't going to be a problem for you. It's cheaper to operate, and there's less to go wrong with it. With good care and light use, it should last years with no more care than keeping the tip tinned.

That's a little tip right there - always keep the tip tinned (coated with solder). The tip will last many times longer.
1. Heat up.
2. Wipe on wet sponge.
3. Solder.
4. Tin the tip.
5. Put it back in the holder.
6. Turn off when done.

By the way, electrics can be fast too. My Metcal melts solder at about 25 seconds, and is ready to use in about 35 (just timed it). Oh, and my ancient, inherited Weller Junior soldering gun (with bakelite case!) melts solder in less than 10 seconds, and the tip can be handled 30 seconds later. And I use a lead free solder (SN100C) that melts at 227C, not tin/lead solders 63/37 (183C) or 60/40 (183-190C). The times would obviously be less with the tin/lead.