Tools to get started: Need recommendations on soldering iron, Multi-meter, etc...

skelevate

Newly Enlightened
Hello fellow flasholic+modders,

I'm looking to mod my SMALL SUN ZY-T13 (T40cs clone) like the links below. It's under-driven and I won't stand for it
wink.png

Do you have any recommendations/deals for tools?

I know I'll need a decent soldering iron with a fine tip, and something to measure voltage and current. Depending on how this goes, I hope to mod more in the future.

Thank you for your help!!

Last edited by a moderator:

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
This 60 watt soldering station is a great value and a good performer. I use this station, and am pleased with the quick heat up, and stable temperature. The only negative is the power cord is shorter than other stations that I have used. I think that it is about 3 feet long, while my other stations are probably closer to 4 feet.

Get a spare tip, or two from the auction site. Tips for the Hakko 936 fit perfectly. I like the Hakko 900M-T-I.

A tip cleaner is a good idea. I never liked using a sponge, but many swear by it. I like the waterless tip cleaner.

Don't forget the solder. Thin rosin core solder (37/63, 0.015") and some solder flux will make for clean, smooth joints. You can also use solder paste with good results if you are careful.

A decent multi-meter can be purchased for less than $30. In addition to voltage and current readings, you might want a meter than has resistance, capacitance and a continuity tester. If you plan on doing a lot of modding in the future, a good meter is a good investment. My Radio Shack digital multi-meter was $70 when I got it on sale 12 years ago. It does everything, including testing transistors. If I could find a DMM with the same features for less than $100, I would buy it.

A third hand holder is another good tool to have when modding lights. You can find an inexpensive holder with alligator clips for less than $5 on the auction site. The best third hand holder is the GRS Benchmate double third hand. It is expensive, but is the best holder that I have used. I got mine for less than $100, and it was money well spent.

If you use Teflon coated wire, you will need a pair of good wire stippers. Several pairs of tweezers and small needle nose pliers are a must, and split ring pliers are a good tool for removing pills. Other useful tools would be strap wrenches for opening lights, containers for holding light parts (ZipLoc containers are excellent), and a pen and paper for sketching how a light is constructed, or taking notes.

I am sure that there is more, but this is a good start.

spencer

Enlightened
A good soldering iron is a must. Get a station and don't waste your time with anything else. I'm sure the one datiLED listed would be sufficient but I'm of the opinion buy once, cry once (buy good once instead of cheap once and good once). I love my Hako.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
By all means get at least 60 watts if you'll be soldering batteries. A station will be worth paying extra for. I find my old station reliable and is temperature controlled. For simple soldering of wires or circuit boards I have a rechargeable soldering iron. It's quick/easy. I have an old, cheap multimeter, and an expensive one. They both read almost exactly the same.

lucca brassi

Enlightened

Hoop

Enlightened
A Hakko FX-888 soldering station and a Mastech MS8268 DMM have done fine by me.

Latest posts