Built an Aleph LE - First Real Mod! - Then Killed It - Had Fun

nbp

Flashaholic
Edit: Build pics in post 20.

I'm going to try building an LE for myself to use in my McGizmos; mostly for the learning experience and to add some new fun to the hobby.

I have just ordered all what I think I need, so hopefully it all comes quickly and I can get started. I have coming: XR Can, GD1000, lead wire, from the Shoppe, XP-G2 S2 on Sinkpads from Vesture of Blood, and Arctic Alumina epoxy from Amazon. I picked up a soldering iron and solder and a set of helping hands from Radio Shack last week. I have been reading a lot and I think I can do this. :thinking:

If you have any tips for my first time, I'm happy to soak them all up!

Ok, thanks for listening, I'll let you know how it goes when I get the parts in. :grin2:

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Re: Going to Build an Aleph LE; My First Real Mod!

Thanks buddy. :thumbsup:

If I think of it, I'll try to take some pictures. They might end up being of what NOT to do, but either way, we'll learn something. Hahaha

Flucero28

Enlightened

Nbp its been a while since I have put an aleph le together but you may also need some solder paste to attach the battery contact pcb to the can.

Edit: Good quality solder flux makes some nice and shiny solder joints as well.

Good luck!

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic

Nbp its been a while since I have put an aleph le together but you may also need some solder paste to attach the battery contact pcb to the can.

Edit: Good quality solder flux makes some nice and shiny solder joints as well.

Good luck!

Hey Frank, good to see you around, and thanks for the good points. :wave:

I saw that some guys just use a dab of superglue to hold the converter board to the can until it all gets potted, which will hold it down. Will that work OK? Since I have little soldering experience, I'm afraid in the process of trying to melt the solder paste under the board I might head up the board too much and float the components off. Does that seem possible?

In regards to flux, I bought rosin core solder - will that do the job or do I need separate flux?

Flucero28

Enlightened

Thank you nbp its good to be spending more time here I have missed modding! Anyhow the battery contact board also supplies the ground to the driver by soldering it to the can. Apply solder paste to the pcb, place it inside the can and slowly heat the can until the soldet paste melts. This is how I have done it with good results. I do not recommend the super glue method as it may be unreliable.

nbp

Flashaholic

You do great work buddy, hopefully we'll be able to send you some things to fiddle with again. I still have the Tri EDC you modded for me. :grin2:

That makes sense regarding using the solder paste to ground the driver board. If I do it that way, I don't have to solder a wire between the can and the driver board right? That would save a step, which is nice.

nbp

Flashaholic

Well, I got most of my parts in: Aleph can, wires, converter, arctic alumina epoxy. Just need the replacement boards with emitters reflowed on to show up and we're in business. Hopefully I can do this without wrecking anything. :duck:

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll add one tip about bonding the driver to the pill without overheating it. Tin the pill prior to bonding the two together, this will minimize the risk of overheating. If there is a gap between the two use a small piece of solid copper wire (18 to 22 gauge) to bridge the gap. You would solder the wire on the pill side first because it will require a lot more heat. Good luck!

gunga

Flashaholic

I ended up tinning they pill and the contact board. Then I heated both in a toaster oven and pressed then together. Worked well but took a couple tries to get the heat right.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

nbp

Flashaholic

I'll add one tip about bonding the driver to the pill without overheating it. Tin the pill prior to bonding the two together, this will minimize the risk of overheating. If there is a gap between the two use a small piece of solid copper wire (18 to 22 gauge) to bridge the gap. You would solder the wire on the pill side first because it will require a lot more heat. Good luck!

I assume you are talking about soldering the converter board into the aleph can? This is preferable to using the solder paste suggested before?

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Whatever method or material you use just make sure you get a good bond with the solder material and the pill. The material type and thickness of the pill requires more heat for the solder to flow and bond.

nbp

Flashaholic

Got it, that makes sense.

Also, If I solder the board to the can, can I get by without running a ground wire from the can to the board?

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast

I assume you are talking about soldering the converter board into the aleph can? This is preferable to using the solder paste suggested before?

I'll offer up the method that I have used many times with success when working with the cans from the Shoppe. Tin the ground ring of the converter board, and apply a liberal amount of solder flux once it cools. With the can supported and level, heat the can with the tip of the iron from underneath. A small dot of solder helps to transfer the heat quickly. When the can is hot, add a little solder around the inner lip of the can where the converter board will sit. Using tweezers, drop the converter board into the can, press it into place and remove the soldering iron. *Be very careful not to bump the can, or dislodge any components from the converter board.* It is possible for the board to get hot enough to float the components. Once everything cools, add your lead wires, and you are basically there.

Please post some some pictures of your progress. I think that you may find the build process is fun, and somewhat addictive.

nbp

Flashaholic

Hi Derek,

Thanks for popping in! You are one of the Aleph LE lords. :bow: I think with all these good suggestions, I should be able to put together a method that will work out well. If I wreck something, well, it's a good learning experience. I am sure I will have a few more questions as I go! I will try to take some pictures as well. Just need the sinkpads and emitters to show up....

nbp

Flashaholic

Alrighty! I built my engine tonight. I will post pics of the build process tomorrow. It's no DatiLED work, that's for sure, but it's not too bad for a first try. And it does light up! Except on li-ion it runs for a few seconds and then starts flashing. On CR123 it runs continuously on a reduced output without flashing. Does anyone know what this would be? It's a GD1000 converter board.

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Check your negative connection with the driver and pill.

nbp

Flashaholic

Thanks. Could you explain more what you mean?

nbp

Flashaholic

Well, I killed this thing for real. Oh well, next time. I am posting pics of the build while it was together and sorta worked. Now I know more what questions to ask and what to research before I do the next one to increase the likelihood of it surviving. Like I have a ton of soldering questions now and I will be doing more research for sure. :crazy: Behold! My masterpiece! Errrrr not..... :grin2: I have tremendous level of new respect for the modders and builders here who do such amazingly clean and well planned mods and builds after seeing what a hacky job I did. Way to go guys! :bow: :bow:

LEBuild1_zpsbbc92e87.jpg

LEBuild2_zpsa1eb0396.jpg

LEBuild3_zps589cc4a9.jpg

LEBuild4_zps81a0dc9c.jpg

LEBuild5_zps1ff6737e.jpg

LEBuild6_zps94247487.jpg

LEBuild7_zpsa3296df3.jpg

LEBuild10_zps5dc2815c.jpg

LEBuild8_zps0dc9e69c.jpg

LEBuild9_zps816ae440.jpg