Pocket Rocket mod

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a few of these Rocky® LED AAAx3 flashlights about 5 yrs ago and this one has been my edc, but it's had a hard life. Originally it came with a ghastly cool white cree xpe-r2 in it, I swapped that out for a nicer warm white 3 watt (seen in exploded view).
Well, recently I happened upon 5 xml2 on stars......
As you can see, a single 18650 will fit nicely.
However, an acceptable 15mm xml2 driver is proving hard for me to find, any suggestions? 3A would be nice, 2A is acceptable.
Another issue is the switch.....
It's not a clicky, it's a momentary and as you can see, it has some sort of electronics integrated as well and Idk what exactly that's for and how it would effect a new driver. Any tips on what that whole wad is would be appreciated.

Last edited:

ryukin2000

Enlightened
for the switch i would junk that one and convert it to a single clicky and let your new driver do the mode switching. i just did this yesterday and it only took me ten minutes. had the same exact electronic switch as you have shown. supposedly has big stand by drain so even more of a reason for you to not reuse it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVgjK8Y2N_w

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK so.......
Ordered several 7135 multimode drivers, as well as a fist full of lose chips for exp.
Will prob have to machine the stock heatsink to make it fit, as well as a new switch.
Will now be single 18650 as well.
Prob won't run it more than a min at a time, stock heatsink isn't as good as I'd like it to be and the sink to body junction isn't as solid as I'd like either. Maybe in the future I'll machine a custom sink that will suffice if I can gain access to a lathe.

light-modder

Enlightened
I had similar thoughts about the heatsink when I first took mine apart with the thought of modding it. Maybe fill it with thermal epoxy? Wouldn't increase runtime on max a bunch but with that heatsink I think anything would be an improvement. Of course then you won't ever be able to change out the driver. Have you made any progress? I have put mine aside until I can machine parts or have them done.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
As requested *update*

Took some fancy machining but got the driver in and shaved some highth from the heatsink in order to make clearance in the tube, as well as removing the stock switch which was particularly space consuming..... however, it's really really tight with an 18650 in it.... so tight in fact that full tightening is not gonna happen. :/
I'm debating other batt sizes (18500, etc.) But thus far it's been a successful endeavor. Hand machining sucked but I'm not doing mass production work.
Hopefully soon I'll get this battery issue dealt with & I can have my edc back!

light-modder

Enlightened
I ordered some driver retaining rings from KD a while ago and tried one a few days ago and got lucky I was able to install a McClicky in the tail cap. I have to run an 18500 due to the length of the switch but it works great. I used the driver from my J5 tactical, a sipik68 clone. The driver fits perfectly as a replacement. Have to use magnets on the positive post for now as the button top isn't tall enough. Not sure I am going to keep it this way or I would use a blob of solder. Just thought I'd share my recent experience with this light.