Safe to use two 16340s in a Surefire 6P with Cree LED conversion?

desmobob

Enlightened
I just received a new Jetbeam Raptor RRT-0 SE as a gift, so I bought an Xtar MP2 charger and a couple more Optronic 700mah RCR123 cells. The Raptor came with an Optronic 3.7V RCR123 in the package.

I have an older Surefire 6P that I remember upgrading with a new Cree emitter some years back, but I can't remember which one it was. Q2... R2 maybe? I'm not really up to speed on those things. I have a feeling it probably won't handle the extra voltage from the 3.7V RCR123 cells but I thought I'd ask just in case I could take advantage of them and get some extra lumens!

Thanks for any information or advice,
Bob

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check the dropin. Many have the voltage printed on them.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the drop-in was able to handle two CR123s without a problem, then it is likely, I repeat, likely, to have a 3.5v to 9v or 12v driver. There is one sure way to test it, but that is called 'destructive testing' for a reason. I think I would first get a CR123 dummy cell and try it with one RCR123. That would be well within the range of acceptable voltage for the drop-in. See how well it behaves, and what the output looks like with one cell. It should work fine, but not have the run-time of two CR123s. When the voltage drops far enough, it will either fall into direct drive and you will start to see dimming, or it will quit.
If you find out more about the drop-in, or get brave, bold, venturesome, and foolish, you can try two RCRs. Good Luck!

Personally, given the prices of some of today's drop-ins, I would forget the one you currently have, and pick up a more current one. Lumens Factory makes a nice one based on a Cree XP-G in neutral white or 90+ CRI that is very nice (I have one). It is rated at 3.5v-13v, for $28 USD. I recently picked up a drop-in from Mountain Electronics with a Nichia 219B and Orange Peel reflector in triple mode for $17 USD. It is very nice, and is the closest thing to sunlight I have seen in an LED. It will only run with one LiIon cell (max 4.3v), so either get the dummy CR123 I mentioned, or pick up a good 16650 to use, which is what I am using.

desmobob

Enlightened
Considering the price of a more modern, better drop-in, I don't have any problems doing what might be "destructive" testing. :) Maybe I should wait until I order the new drop-in....

Thanks for the information!

Take it easy,
Bob