Led Lenser H7 rewire

datagutten

Newly Enlightened
I got a Led Lenser H7 where the cable is broken in the exit of the battery pack.
My first thought was to replace the entire cable, so I opened the lamp unit to see how the wires were connected.
I found that the PCB with the LED was glued to the lamp body, so I could not get access to the solderings.

Because of that I needed to extend the original cable.
I cut the original wire just outside the battery pack and tried to clear the hole for the cable in the battery pack.
It seems like the outer insulation on the original cable is glued to the hole, at least I was not able to remove it.
I ended up with pushing a screwdriver into the hole to remove as much as possible.
I managed to remove the inner wires, but there still seems to be some insulation left.

Then I had to find some new wire. I found that an old apple USB cable would be suitable, so I cut a bit of it and removed the outer sleeve and the shield.
I managed to put the inner wires through the hole in the battery pack, but not the outer sleeve.
The cable contained some kind of string which I used to hold the cable in place with a knot (see picture).
I am planning to make this lamp powered by an external USB battery pack, so I will do something about this hole when I do that.

After some struggle I managed to solder the wires to the PCB and put it back into the battery pack.
In the process the wires to the battery connectors went loose, so I removed them and soldered new ones.

Then it is time to connect the wires from the new cable to the ones of the original cable.
I was not able to keep the wires in position to solder them aligned to each other, so i soldered them at a 90 degree angle (see picture).
I will try again to get them straight and insulate with shrink wrapping, but for now I did it with insulation tape to test if it works.

Here is a picture of the battery pack with new wires:

The extension: