MN, WI, MI (Other N.Central)

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
In the posters on the cold thread I noticed quite a few from MN, WI, MI. Anyone interested in a get together? Probably when it gets warmer, got to feed the bugs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif .
If you are interested lets see where we live for a central location.
I live in Silver Bay, MN, about 1 hour NE of Duluth.

avusblue

Enlightened
Great idea. I'd be interested. I have three kids who play hockey, thus, we're pretty busy until end of March or so.

I (selfishly) suggest the Twin Cities as a "central" location, which would attract Iowans too, and we have lots of points of interest for spouses.

Perhaps the fine folks at the flashlight museum in the suburb of Fridley would be interested in hosting a get together. I visited them last summer -- they are very nice guys, and I think would be a fun and very interesting place for us to meet. Here is another thread about the museum for those of you who want to learn more about it.

Dave

Bright Scouter

Enlightened
I would consider it depending on when we have it. I have two kids in soccer, a new job, trying to sell a house and have to fit geocaching in there someplace too. But at least I could geocache on the way to, at, and back from the meet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif We currently live in SW Michigan about 3 hours from the edge of Chicago.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
avusblue said:
I have three kids who play hockey
....flashlight museum in the suburb of Fridley would be interested in hosting a get together. I visited them last summer -- they are very nice guys, and I think would be a fun and very interesting place for us to meet. Here is another thread about the museum for those of you who want to learn more about it.

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]
Imagine children in MN playing hockey /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I've never seen the Flashlight Museum before, looks like a great attraction, for CPF'rs anyhow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif my wife probably wouldn't be interested /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif (PROBABLY WOULDN'T??!!)

avusblue

Enlightened
I traded messages with the nice folks at the flashlight museum and they offered the use of their conference room for a get together. Holds 14 people. He also mentioned that they have been asked to host the 2004 flashlight collectors convention in the Twin Cities -- I didn't know there was such a thing.

However, if there's only the two of us expressing interest for a get together, plus a "maybe" from Michigan, perhaps we just don't have critical mass yet to do an "organized" event?

However, don't let that keep you from reaching out to the Flashlight Museum on your own and arranging a visit next time your in the Twin Cities.

Thoughts?

Dave

FlashlightMuseum

Newly Enlightened
It appears that this last week we have had strong suggestions from Jim Rapinac (host of last year's convention) and Bill Utley (the KING of flashlights) suggest that we host the annual convention this year, 2004, in Minneapolis. Both Eveready and Duracell are interested in sponsoring. Please let me know either here on CPF or via email ([email protected]) if you would be interested...

Brock

Flashaholic
Cool, I am up for it, would this be like a show and tell /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Of course it all depends on when it is, but keep us posted.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have any idea of the venue? Or anticipated attendance? Would this be strictly vintage models or would cutting edge lights be represented? If there was something like this in my state I'd have to go, no matter the answers above. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Anyone need a ride from Duluth area?

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Guys...

I`m interested, but, as with others, much would depend on my schedule.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

FlashlightMuseum

Newly Enlightened
Well, the 2004 Flashlight Collectors convention will probably be here in Mpls, MN, hosted by the Flashlight Museum. Tentative date is May 7-8. Still working out the details, hotel conference room, rentals, etc... we would like to have a focus of both antique and state-of-the-art. We will be making some phone calls to Surefire for some possible ideas...

Roughly 40-50 people attended last year's convention in IL.

I'll keep you posted.

bwcaw

Enlightened
This sounds interesting. I will have to see if I can go. Maybe we could get some of the others in the midwest area to go (Rothrandir, Bravo52, Lambda etc.)

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joe Soucheray on KSTP-1500 AM was talking about this on his program this afternoon. I think I may have to make a visit. I have never been to one of these in the past, are they usually well attended?

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe a winter one (bring the Lithium batteries /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )
Is anyone interested in one for spring of 2005? Lots of State Parks and some lodging up here. Can't beat Lake Superior, well maybe some Pacific views /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif .

EDIT Had a thought Beacon Lighting and Commemoration of the Sinking of the Edmund Fitzgerald happens at Split Rock Lighthouse November 10th. Weather can be iffy though.
srphotosixteen.jpg

lmcmann

Newly Enlightened
I'm up for a get together at the beacon lighting, I believe. That would be a two-fer deal for me, as I tech dive (scuba) quite heavily, and had actually planned a dive on the Edmund Fitzgerald about 8 years ago. I'm based in Detroit, so this wouldn't be too bad of a haul either. Should be fun.

Larry

Edit: Doh! I'm not sure what I was thinking, or seeing, for that matter (haven't had my coffee yet). I just punched this place into Street Atlas. Let me retract the "not too bad of a haul" statement. I'd like to come to this, but I doubt if I can make this trip at this time. Bummer. For some reason I thought this was just on the other side of the ferry linking Mi and Wi, making it a quick and easy trip. Have fun if it works out though.

Larry