PD35 running on primaries

Jvvjvv

Enlightened
A friend of mine, just gave her friend, a PD35, for her birthday. They want to use " supermarket" batteries. Has anybody run theirs at length, with CR123's?

If so, what kind of run times. They really don't want to get involved with "strange" batterys and chargers. They have been using store bought for over 50 years and not about to change.:)

Thanks, Jack

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here you go:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?381867

Spoiler alert, it runs just about the same brightness and run time on 2 x CR123 as it does on an 18650. Of course, you are out about $10 - 12 every time you need to change them, if you buy them at the supermarket. The prices there are the worst. Ordering them online can get them down to $2 - 3 per pair, for good brand name batteries. Now, I had seen Home Depot selling Surefire batteries for $5 a pair, that is a fair deal for brick-and-mortar purchasing.

1DaveN

Enlightened
I run my PD35 on Surefire CR123's that cost about $21 a dozen at Amazon, if I remember correctly. I don't get to use the light enough to justify 18650s, which is also why I can't really comment intelligently on run time - so far, I've mostly just used it around the house for a few minutes at a time.

Jvvjvv

Enlightened
Hondo and Dave........Thanks for the replies. I forgot about selfbuilts review. I had read it about the time I got my PD35 months ago. Never even looked at the battery comparisons charts...........I always use rechargables.

Seems like a pretty close toss up between the 18650's and the 123's......good deal!!! I'll have her get a box on line......that will last her for years. :)

Thanks again you guys...Jack