Side-switch fans... let's discuss lights with side-switches

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
For some time I've been using a D25A clicky for EDC, because it is so slim and such a great, unobtrusive model for pocket carry.

But, when considering lights of somewhat greater size than the slim AA options, I am now more drawn to side-switch models. Of course the popular Zebralight models represent a good part of my group. And, fortunately, ever more manufacturers are introducing lights with side-switches.

Now I'm interested in finding a very compact single-18650 side-switch light. The Thrunight TN20 looks appealing. Any thoughts on that, or on competing models?

I have a couple of EA41 lights, which I think are great lights (not for EDC, of course).

What are the latest/greatest side-switch models? And which are your favorites?

Last edited:

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it's the only one in the category I have owned but I can give it a solid recommendation. I've got a slough of pocket tail clickies and they all have their merits but something about carrying three and a half amp hours worth of energy around in your pocket with instant access to less than one, or nearly a thousand lumens just makes me giddy.

Berneck1

Enlightened
I have found that for me a side switch has a greater chance of accidental activation if it goes in a pocket. I have a couple of large lights that aren't pocketable and have side switches. It works very well for them. Otherwise, I prefer the rear-clicky for anything I'll have in my pocket.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

desmobob

Enlightened
I have a Thrunite TN20 and really like it. The side switch works crisply and the UI is easy. The pivoting head is pretty handy, as is the very strong magnetic tail. I think it's a great value for fifty bucks.

The Thrunite TN4A is another side switch light I like a lot. Thrunite's Mini TN30 is another one I enjoy. I prefer Thrunite's side switch UI so far.

The other side switch light I have experience with is the Fenix UC30. (I have a UC35, but it has combination tail clicky and side switch.) The UC30 is slightly less easy to use, requiring a long press to turn the light on and off, with normal clicks to change modes. I gave it as a gift to a non-flashaholic. I'm scheduled to receive a Nitecore MH10 tomorrow and am anxious to see how it compares to the very similar UC30. It is also a gift light (for the sister of the woman I gave the UC30 to).

My only little complaint with side switch lights is the lack of a strong tactile clue to where the switch is. ;) Sometimes, it takes a moment of fumbling around to find it.

Take it easy,
Bob

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several Fenix lights with the rear clicky/side mode switch combo and I like it mostly.

I rarely do anything unintended with it as the rear switch is positive about turning the light on and off so the side switch is relegated to mode changing only.

I also have a few without the rear switch where the side switch does turn the light on/off and switch modes and I am not nearly as fond of this setup.

The ZL switch is great though especially since they recessed it more than it used to be.
I have an SC80 which I love dearly that tried to burn me down in a Hospital one time when it inadvertently turned on in a heavy coat it was in and I barely noticed it in time to cool things down!

YMMV!

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quote: "Side-switch fans..."

I am one of those.

I grew up in the 70's, so I hold a flashlight like a ordinary citizen, not like they do in the movies. When gripping that a way, my thumb lands on the switch, and no finger is able to reach the rear of the light, especially if I am only using one hand for the light.

If I hold the light like I am clumsily struggling to emulate some Hollywood type, then my thumb can get to the rear switch.

My favorite rear switch light is the MMU-X3. It occupies a sweet, sweet point in the size-power continuum, but I can't hold it like an ordinary citizen, and hit the switch at the same time.

My favorite side switch light is the Niwalker MM15. The switch button is big, easy to find, easy to actuate, and when I hit it, a helluva lotta light comes out of it.

My favorite both front and side activated light is the SX25L3, because it has both switches, and because it is one of my favorite lights. I can practice my Hollywood cop flashlight hold, and I can quickly and easily revert to ho-hum citizen hold, without having to switch lights.

1DaveN

Enlightened
I have several Fenix lights with the rear clicky/side mode switch combo and I like it mostly.

+1. That switch combination is a big reason why I like my PD35, and the side-only switch is the only thing I don't love about my E25 (I occasionally miss the momentary feature when using the E25). I would not hesitate to recommend the PD35 to anyone looking for a really good 1x18650 light.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have found that for me a side switch has a greater chance of accidental activation if it goes in a pocket. I have a couple of large lights that aren't pocketable and have side switches. It works very well for them. Otherwise, I prefer the rear-clicky for anything I'll have in my pocket.

Yes. I will likely continue to carry the D25A Clicky as my EDC pocket light. I love how thin and small it is and the rear switch makes it much less likely to be activated in the pocket.

But for around the house and RV, I like the side-switch models... the switch falling under the thumb just makes the operating ergonomics so nice.

I have a Thrunite TN20 and really like it. The side switch works crisply and the UI is easy. The pivoting head is pretty handy, as is the very strong magnetic tail. I think it's a great value for fifty bucks.
The Thrunite TN4A is another side switch light I like a lot. Thrunite's Mini TN30 is another one I enjoy. I prefer Thrunite's side switch UI so far.

The other side switch light I have experience with is the Fenix UC30. (I have a UC35, but it has combination tail clicky and side switch.) The UC30 is slightly less easy to use, requiring a long press to turn the light on and off, with normal clicks to change modes. I gave it as a gift to a non-flashaholic. I'm scheduled to receive a Nitecore MH10 tomorrow and am anxious to see how it compares to the very similar UC30. It is also a gift light (for the sister of the woman I gave the UC30 to).

My only little complaint with side switch lights is the lack of a strong tactile clue to where the switch is.
wink.gif
Sometimes, it takes a moment of fumbling around to find it.

Thanks for the feedback on the TN20 and TN4A. I'll have a look at the TN30 and UC30, UC35, and MH10 models, as well.

Quote: "Side-switch fans..."

I am one of those.

I grew up in the 70's, so I hold a flashlight like a ordinary citizen, not like they do in the movies. When gripping that a way, my thumb lands on the switch, and no finger is able to reach the rear of the light, especially if I am only using one hand for the light.

If I hold the light like I am clumsily struggling to emulate some Hollywood type, then my thumb can get to the rear switch.

My favorite rear switch light is the MMU-X3. It occupies a sweet, sweet point in the size-power continuum, but I can't hold it like an ordinary citizen, and hit the switch at the same time.

My favorite side switch light is the Niwalker MM15. The switch button is big, easy to find, easy to actuate, and when I hit it, a helluva lotta light comes out of it.

My favorite both front and side activated light is the SX25L3, because it has both switches, and because it is one of my favorite lights. I can practice my Hollywood cop flashlight hold, and I can quickly and easily revert to ho-hum citizen hold, without having to switch lights.

Yeah, I tend to hold lights as 'normal citizens' tend to, which makes the thumb the perfect digit for operating a side switch. On occasion outdoors, I hold the light over my head for scanning the desert, but don't tend to manipulate any of the controls while it is in that position - I set the level (usually max) then put the light over my head to scan with. The TK-35 is my most used outdoor scanning light (rear switches), the EA41 is runner up for that.

+1. That switch combination is a big reason why I like my PD35, and the side-only switch is the only thing I don't love about my E25 (I occasionally miss the momentary feature when using the E25). I would not hesitate to recommend the PD35 to anyone looking for a really good 1x18650 light.

Sounds like the PD35 is another light I need to have a look at. Thanks.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm really into side switches lately. In fact, all I really want a rear switch for is my Eagletac S200C2 - I like the ribber ring which allows for a comfortable "cigar" hold. I'm not sure why but it just makes sense on a small thrower like this.

Until I start sweeping rooms with a handgun drawn on a regular daily basis, I don't need the rear switch thing.

scout24

Flashaholic
The sc62w is where it's at. Monster output, slim, light, solid clip, familiar UI if you already use Zebras. Quick access to a bunch of levels. I've been carrying mine almost daily since I got it, haven't had an accidental activation yet.

recDNA

Flashaholic
When I need light I am usually in the dark. I prefer to reach for the tail for a button rather than tie up two hands to spin until I find the side button.

markr6

Flashaholic
When I need light I am usually in the dark. I prefer to reach for the tail for a button rather than tie up two hands to spin until I find the side button.

That's what is nice about side switch lights that are not completely smooth with a flush switch. Something with a clip or recessed switch makes it easy. The best example is my SC62w; both a clip and deep recess for switch make it obvious where the switch is located. My EA4, not so much.

ozzie_c_cobblepot

Enlightened
Another one to consider is the O-Light S20 L2. From off, it has direct access to moonlight and max, via long-press and double-click. And to continue the "ordinary citizen" phrasing, it comes on to the last level it was on if you do a single click (mode memory). As mentioned previously, keeping the clip opposite the side switch helps with location. While the clip is reversible, the default is bezel-up which enables the hat-lamp trick.

I keep mine in the pocket (not clipped), locked out at the tailcap. One extra benefit of this is that once the tail cap is reconnected, the remembered mode (for single click) is low, which means that I have instant access to moonlight, low, and turbo.

A last benefit of the S20 is that it can take 2xCR123a primary cells, which helps for emergency kits.

The SC62 is a great light, but it is lacking in many of the above: not an ordinary citizen UI, clip is fixed at bezel-down, access to lowest level or turbo may require long-press followed by double-click (depending on the configuration you keep it in), and it cannot take CR123a primary cells. Where the SC62 really wins is the size (both length and diameter are small), the extreme lumen range, and the well-recessed switch make pocket carry without lockout open to discussion.

Last edited:

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Zebralights are my most used lights at the moment.
No accidental on with my SC52w or SC62d.
Also like my ArmyTek Prime C2 exept that the battery warning doesn't work and I will have to check the voltage once in a while to make sure I don't over discharge it.

Don't have any but have looked at the Olight S-series, looks good I think.

scout24

Flashaholic

RecDNA- I would agree if using my LRI Proton Pro, where the switch button is almost flush with the body tube. Current Zebras are much easier to index. Even with light gloves on.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralights are my most used lights at the moment.
No accidental on with my SC52w or SC62d.

RecDNA- I would agree if using my LRI Proton Pro, where the switch button is almost flush with the body tube. Current Zebras are much easier to index. Even with light gloves on.

I agree with both. I also enjoy the little SC32w. With one hand, never seeing the light (half the time with it in my pocket) I can quickly find the button. On a related but different note, it's easy for me to find the tail cap to do a (unnecessary) twist/lockout.

Zebras are the bomb these days - especially the SC62w.

desmobob

Enlightened
I'm scheduled to receive a Nitecore MH10 tomorrow and am anxious to see how it compares to the very similar UC30. It is also a gift light (for the sister of the woman I gave the UC30 to).

My only little complaint with side switch lights is the lack of a strong tactile clue to where the switch is. ;) Sometimes, it takes a moment of fumbling around to find it.

Take it easy,
Bob

The MH10 came today. It has a quality look and a nice feel. The switch is small, flush, and is not lit or GITD. The rubber cover for the charging port is opposite the switch and sits much higher. The first time I tried to use the light without looking at it, I found myself pressing the charging port cover. :(

I like the UI better than the Fenix UC30's. On the MH10, a normal click turns it on (memorizing your last used mode) and a long press cycles through the four levels. A double-click gets your strobe on.

Take it easy,
Bob

nbp

Flashaholic
I just picked up two of the Armytek Prime series, which have side switches, and have to say I am very impressed with these lights. I wasn't enamored with the Zebralight I had, but I quite like these Armyteks. I have the C1 and C2, the C2 being the 18650 version.