Nextorch K10 (XP-G2, 1x AAA, 65 lumens) Review

kj2

Flashaholic
2jb4h9h.jpg
34nmp7a.jpg

While I'd heard of Nextorch flashlights, I've never been able to get hold of one. Until now :)
Some of you may have heard about them, or even own a light made by them, it surely was an eye opener for me. And that's a good thing ;)

The packaging:

The K10 comes in a nice presentation-style box, with plenty of information on it. Although it looks like a regular box, it does need to be torn apart to get the light out.
Wish that wasn't necessary but most probably will throw it away, anyway.

2n1uc1y.jpg
25s5q1t.jpg

34658g1.jpg

Inside the packaging you'll find the K10, a included Nextorch branded AAA battery, a manual and a leaflet. A little red disk inside will prevent the battery from draining, before it's been bought.

2agomyg.jpg

Features and Specifications:(given by Nextorch)

• Led:CREE XP-G2 R5 LED
• Lumen:65lm/20lm/strobe
• Runtime:1h40 min / 5h 50min/ 3h hrs
• Battery:1*AAA (Included)
• Distance:40m/131.23ft
• Length:68mm*15mm*13.6mm
• Weight:12g/0.42oz
• Switch:side slide switch

MSRP: ~8 USD

4ljaq1.png

What I notice is that Nextorch doesn't talk about water resistance. So be careful when using in the wet outdoors.

24g16xc.jpg
ddl6gz.jpg

2upvju1.jpg
21buln8.jpg

The K10 does have a o-ring at the threads which should prevent water or dirt from getting in. The light uses a TIR (Total Internal Reflection) lens to spread out the beam evenly.
I did notice the center of this lens, has been drilled out. This causes the TIR to be 'open' and water/dust could enter the led. From what I can see, the led isn't sealed off. Water and dust that gets in could eventually damage the light.
I wonder why Nextorch has chosen to make it this way.. Possibly to give it slightly more throw.
Threads are well cut, run smooth and came lubed. Threads aren't anodized, so locking out the light isn't possible. Twisting the head with two fingers, is real easy.
The led is nicely centered in my sample.

2n1w5qp.jpg
a3e3nk.jpg

20z1khv.jpg
miffhk.jpg

A key-ring hole at the end, makes it easy to attach the light to your key-chain. However, it does prevent the light from tail standing.
Laser engraving is sharp and has a nice white color.

mm78kk.jpg

User Interface:

Operation of the K10 is simple. With the side-switch, go from Off > On > Off > On to switch between the 3 available modes.
Switching modes is easy and can be done with your thumb. The K10 doesn't have a mode memory. When Off for longer than 1-2 seconds, the light will turn On in High.

There is a Strobe on this light, which some may prefer. I personally don't see why you want a Strobe mode on your key-chain light. I would rather have a extra lower Low mode.

fk33bk.jpg

Overall grip on the light is good. It does have a smooth body but with dry hands, it will stick. A small strip of knurling around the switch provided extra grip, at the head.

Size comparison:

izrgbk.jpg
ipy2ki.jpg

From L to R: Eneloop AAA battery, Fenix LD02, Nextorch K10, Lumintop Tool AAA, Zebralight SC32w

Weight and Dimensions:
Fenix LD02: 76mm (length) x 15mm (diameter), 16g weight (without battery)
Nextorch K10: 68mm (length) x 15mm (diameter), 12g weight (without battery)
Lumintop Tool: 80mm (length) x 14mm (diameter), 15g weight (without battery)
ZL SC32w: 66mm (length) x 24mm (diameter), 38g (without battery)

Indoor Beamshots:
ISO-400, 1/10 sec, f/11 - Canon 500D. Light approx 0.45m / Camera 1m away from wall.
Batteries used: K10 with provided Nextorch battery, Fenix and Lumintop with Eneloop AAA, SC32w with Duracell CR123.

vxz051.jpg
qrlxzs.jpg

inhkqg.jpg
deuttx.jpg
2ypc41j.jpg

1433079349580769.gif

The Fenix LD02 has a larger hotspot with a smoother beam profile, and more spill than the K10. The Lumintop Tool has the tightest hotspot between the three AAA-lights.

Conclusion:

This light was my first experience with Nextorch, and it has been good. The light perform nicely with other competitors. Switching modes is easy and because his size, you won't really notice it.
Without any waterproof rating I do recommend to keep it way, from water. The plastic switch feels solid now, but time will tell how it holds up. With a MSRP of around 8 dollar, you get a very good light :)
So when looking for a small, lightweight key-chain light, you may want to check out the K10.

The K10 was supplied for review by Nextorch

Noctiluco

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for review. Very interesting the user interfaz for a 1 x AAA keychain light. Do you think it's easy turn on the light accidentally in your pocket?

I like TIR lens, usually they offer a good throw even with little power lights.

kj2

Flashaholic
Thanks for review. Very interesting the user interfaz for a 1 x AAA keychain light. Do you think it's easy turn on the light accidentally in your pocket?
I like TIR lens, usually they offer a good throw even with little power lights.
When wearing cargo pants or jeans, I don't think it will turn On accidentally. But when wearing some tighter fitting pants, it may occur. The slide switch does need some pressure, to move.

Abbu

Newly Enlightened
Nice reviews.
The size and the line looks good.
Like the silde switch , not often to see that kind of switch.
:party:

FBY

Newly Enlightened
nice reviews.the size and the line looks good. like the silde switch , not often to see that kind of switch. would it be easy to accidentally turn it on