best 30W-equivalent dimmable LED bulb

AdamMBerg

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have recommendations for a dimmable LED bulb equivalent to a 30W incandescent bulb, standard household shape? I like the Cree 40W-equivalent bulbs but, even at their dimmest, they're not as dim as a fully-dimmed 40W incandescent, and not dim enough for my wife, who likes low lighting.

Would the Cree 3-way 30/60/100 stay on 30W-equivalent if it is in a non-3-way fixture? And would it be dimmable?

First time poster here but have benefited from the headlamp advice on Candlepower Forums when shopping for backpacking gear.

Thanks,
Adam

SemiMan

Banned
Anyone have recommendations for a dimmable LED bulb equivalent to a 30W incandescent bulb, standard household shape? I like the Cree 40W-equivalent bulbs but, even at their dimmest, they're not as dim as a fully-dimmed 40W incandescent, and not dim enough for my wife, who likes low lighting.

Would the Cree 3-way 30/60/100 stay on 30W-equivalent if it is in a non-3-way fixture? And would it be dimmable?

First time poster here but have benefited from the headlamp advice on Candlepower Forums when shopping for backpacking gear.

Thanks,
Adam

The issue is not the wattage of the bulb, but the design of the bulb. Some bulbs dim very deep, others do not. It could be a factor of their power supply design topology, the control IC for the power supply, or just the way they set it up.

As well, there are fairly significant differences in how deep different dimmers will go. It goes to the specific model, not just the brand, though the Cooper LED dimmers seem to go pretty deep.

I think (need to check), that my Ikea bulb dims the deepest of what I have. The LG, Cree, Philips, Feit, Luminus all dim pretty poorly, though the Luminus chandelier bulbs (there is 8 in one of mine) dims pretty deep ... when there is 8 in. When you just have one or two, they just flicker like crazy.

Semiman

poiihy

Enlightened
I'd suggest you get a 40w equivalent. if you're going to dim it then you can dim it to 30w equivalency. I really don't think you'll find a 30w equivalent bulb.