Ultimate Download Pocket Rocket "Sunbeam" (Ti 2x 18350 XHP-50 3000 lumens edc)

ghos

Newly Enlightened
Ultimate Download Pocket Rocket "Sunbeam" (Ti 2x 18350 XHP-50 3000 lumens edc)

Hi all,

I've been looking for a 18650 Ti light for sometime, most of them are either AA or 16340 sized, I bought a V10r ti and put in a triple nichia, it looks really nice and has excellent color rendition, but I figured I wanted something brighter for outdoor use

The end result? A Titanium 2x 18350 sized light with 3000 lumens and multi mode ultimate EDC pocket rocket!!

Of course, being made of titanium, the heat transfer is really bad (in respect to AL), so blasts of 100% are limited to a few seconds the most, output at lower levels can last much longer.. the head can be too hot to touch, however (again, bad heat transfer), the body does not feel hot and can be held, making it a double edged sword

The build :

Recently I bought the last remaining Pocket Rocket from Download (http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?376253-Pocket-Rocket-9th-run-XM-L2)

Charles is really a nice guy who creates nice lights and painstakingly took the time to answer my many pm in respect to the light's modability and functions!!

Enter Download's Pocket rocket, a really nice and well crafted Titanium 18650 sized light, with many options for mod-ability, mine came with a T6-2A XML2 emitter, reverse clicky and Ti clip

pk1.JPG

pk2.JPG

Nice light to be added to the modified lights collection

pk3.JPG

Getting ready to mod the light.. Parts include an XHP-50 5A on Noctigon, a bunch of 7135 chips, guppydrv 22 mode group 105C driver.. and a TIR optic stripped from a Led Lenser F1R :sigh: ($$$)

pk4.JPG

Changing the emitter and driver.. an XHP-50 5A and a guppydrv 22 mode 105c driver.. this is a really cool driver that lets you set 22 different mode groups on the fly, I chose No. 6 (100% - 15%, no memory) as my preference, I've also set the turbo timer to 15 seconds (you do NOT want to put 100% for more then 15 seconds)

pk6.JPG

Zener mod must be done for the driver to accept the 2 x 18350 needed to power the XHP-50.. My aim to get close to 6amps in the driver.. so the stacking of chips begins..

pk7.JPG

A addtional 10 chips stacked for a grand total of 18 chips (6.3amps) :crackup:
Due to height constraint on the spring, only an additional 4 can be soldered, the rest are squeezed behind

pk8.JPG

All packed any ready to go back in, filled to the brim with thermal paste

pk9.JPG

The original orange peel reflector has been switched with a TIR optic due to its shorter length and better throw, especially with such a floody emitter (XHP-50)
I've tried many different TIR optics, some of them are way too floody and do not focus the beam, most of them however, create the "donut" beam.
Was trying to file a TIR I found from a cheap flashlight at the dollar store, at the end of the day, the best TIR optic I found was a TIR optic from a Led Lenser F1R (does anyone know where to find a replacement? It seems to be a proprietary optic, F1R is now unusable until I can find a replacement lens )

pk10.JPG

And last but not least, switching the reverse clicky for a forward clicky.. however, due to the space now taken by both 18350 IMRs, the light has lost the ability to tailstand, but its ok, we're not going to tailstand such a bright light anyway

The black rubber boot has been changed to a nice white glow tail cap (again, scavenged from another light)

pk5.JPG

pk15.JPG

Light completed and assembled, added in a blue glow o-ring as well, removed the sapphire glass

pk11.JPG

Smoking up newspaper..

pk12.JPG

Parking beam shot

pk13.JPG

Easily lights up a whole building

pk14.JPG

Of course, this is intended more as a "show light" or proof of concept, on lower modes its more practical, and due to its many programmable modes, the light can be programmed for different situations

Thanks for reading!!

Last edited:

download

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Ultimate Download Pocket Rocket "Sunbeam" (Ti 2x 18350 XHP-50 3000 lumens edc)

Wow, really nice mod :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Ultimate Download Pocket Rocket "Sunbeam" (Ti 2x 18350 XHP-50 3000 lumens edc)

Very cool! Nice work!

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well thought out mod. Fun to see just how far we can push these torches

ghos

Newly Enlightened

I guess running it at direct drive would be the max, the batteries I used are purple efest IMRs rated at 10.5A, anything else would require either more batteries or a radically improved LED emitter heat is quickly becoming a problem, used in short bursts its ok

Well thought out mod. Fun to see just how far we can push these torches