Need help with DC 12v setup to Fish finder, 12v socket, and on/off toggle.

pchan87

Newly Enlightened
This seems to be the most appropriate forum? Can someone tell me if I've wired this correctly? Everything is just taped together to show how I plan to wire everything. I have it wired to an on/off toggle the FF, and to a 12v socket in case i need to charge a phone if the power goes out etc. I have the connections from the FF and socket going into a push in triple connector that goes into the on/off toggle. I will heat shrink the connections when everything is said and done. The FF is a lowrance elite 4 chirp.

4q4v9t.jpg

Questions I have:

1) what amp fuse do I need for the socket? And how would I figure what amp of fuse is needed? I plan on using a phone charger similar to this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008RBSXJO/?tag=cpf0b6-20
these are the specs of the charger:

Input: 12~24v DC.

Output: 5.0V / 3000mA.
Short circuit protection.

The fuse that came with the FF is 3 amps.

2) Did I wire the inline fuses in the correct places? Were they all necessary?

3) so based on the specs of the charger which is a max output of 3amps and the FF having a 3 amp fuse included with the unit the max output if they were both running would be 6 amps is that a correct determination? So would I put a 3 amp fuse and plug it into the fuse holder closest to the 12v socket? If the 6 amp max output is correct would I put a 5 amp fuse to stick in the holder closest to the (+) terminal or would that fuse consistently blow d/t the max output of 6amps? the 16ga wire is rated at 7.4 amps from what I've found online, if I put a 7.5amp fuse at the holder closest to the battery wouldn't that defeat the purpose of preventing the line from catching fire or is that not a concern since the wire is rated at 7.4 amps and the max output of the two devices are 6 amps? Or am I totally wrong on everything I've stated.

Thanks for any input given. I am not familiar with electrical topics.