Fenix CL25R lantern review with field test.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I have been evaluating this gear item and here are the results. Most of my testing tends to be done out of a backpack. Unlike reviews done in the living room pack reviews might not have the most comprehensive technical data but they do offer field use insight. I also like to add the occasional emergency preparation perspective. First let's look at the stats from Fenix.

Utilizes white LEDs and red LEDs with 350-lumen maximum output
Output Modes:
Turbo 350 Lumens: 18650 battery: 2 hours 15 min.; CR123A batteries: 2 hours 5 min.
High 200 Lumens: 18650 battery: 5 hours; CR123A batteries: 4 hours 10 min.
Mid 50 Lumens: 18650 battery: 23 hours 45 min; CR123A batteries: 18 hours 50 min.
Low (Moonlight) 0.8 Lumens: 18650 battery: 600 hours**; CR123A batteries: 500 hours
Red 1.5 Lumens: 18650 battery: 44 hours; CR123A batteries: 42 hours
Flashing Red 1.5 Lumens

**When powered by a Fenix ARB-L2-3400mAh 18650 battery, the runtime will be 880 hours

Can light up at mid output, moonlight, or red light while being charged
Excellent cold-weather design with operating temperatures down to -35 degrees C or even -40 degrees C. (Non-rechargeable CR123A batteries are recommended for better low temperature performance)
Micro-USB rechargeable, charging indicator and low voltage warning function
82-feet (25 meter) beam diameter
Intelligent memory circuit; remembers the last mode used before turning off
Built-in protective circuit protects users from overcharging, over discharging, overheating, and improper battery installation
Moolight mode satisfies users' demand for lower output with extended runtime
Built-in magnet and tripod socket for easy attachment
Luminous single button switch for easy and fast operation
Waterproof to IPX-6 standard

Batteries Used
Ships with one Fenix ARB-L2M 2300mAh 18650 rechargeable Li-ion battery. Uses one rechargeable 18650 battery (accepts Tenergy, Fenix ARBL2M, ARBL2, ARBL2P, or ARBL2S). Each has a different mAh. The higher the mAh, the longer the runtime between charges.
It also takes two non-rechargeable CR123A batteries. (Fenix does NOT recommend rechargeable CR123 batteries since they will not perform according to the specification chart included for the CL25R). Better for low temperature performance.

So here it is. I added the orange paracord lanyard for easy hanging plus things tend to walk away in the woods. Sometimes higher visibility is a good thing.

The tint shown in the above photo is a fairly accurate representation of how it looks in person. For those who don't know LED tint refers the slight color shade of an emitter. For example some LEDs can have a green or blue cast within what's supposed to be a cool white light. I prefer neutral white or even warm for a lantern. Space alien abduction blue or squid **** green gets old fast with a lantern. I was pleased the quality of the tint and diffused nature of the beam however these are subjective judgements.

The battery or batteries based on user options are feed through the bottom. The metal inner tube is supposed to act as a heat sink for the multiple LEDS. I have no clue what type of emitters are used.

The magnet which allows the lantern to stick to metal surfaces also can easily pull the battery out. The included 18650 is a protected 2300 mAh cell. This is of lower capacity than other options but comes included and seems to work just fine. Also for those used to AA batteries we are talking about higher voltage here. 3.8 volts compared to 1.2-1.7 volts for most common AA chemistries. I am no battery expert but guessing it has at least the energy of 3 AAs. There are higher capacity 18650 batteries for those who want even longer runtimes.

The light achieves it's defused nature via multiple LEDs of unknown type and a foggy outer shell. The bugs just couldn't get enough of it as evidenced by the one in the photo.

Despite it's defused nature on the higher modes it was a bit too bright for prolonged direct looking. But I really can't blame the lantern for being so bright. It is what it is.

One major pro is the ability to charge the 18650 battery via USB. Here the lantern is plugged into a wall USB charger. Notice the red switch which indicates charging.

The best part for me is the easy USB solar charging ability.

Hard to see but the switch is deffinatly red.

What's so nice is the lantern even took a charge in partial sunlight without triggering a charging error.

The ability to charge 18650 batteries makes the lantern an ideal candidate for my off the grid packable heated tipi project. This 16 watt folding panel with 2 intelligent USB charging ports has enough power to charge 4xAA and 1X18650 at the same time to satisfy the tipi's electrical requirements.

But the goodness doesn't end there. The CL25R can also run directly off any USB power source with or without the battery installed. It can do this only using the two red LED modes and low and medium main modes. I believe it also will run and charge the battery at the same time but never tested to see how effective this process is.

Running directly off solar power.

Running off an Anker 13000 mAh battery pack. I wonder what the total low mode run time would be? 2800 hours regulated? Not sure but it would be a long time.

Here is something funky. On low without battery the switch turns green though clearly there is nothing to completely charge. On the 50 lumen mode which is the max for purely using a USB power source the switch turns red though again there is no reason near as I can tell. Oh well it doesn't really matter anyways.

Field use:

For this gear item field use also includes within the home as it's a lantern after all. On the low mode night adapted eyes could function in a bathroom or even see basic things under a tarp. Kept it running all night without concern and I wasn't in a hurry to turn it off at any time. The 50 lumen mode provides enough light to do most indoor tasks and can light up an area around camp. I don't use the red modes at all and rarely use the upper main modes. Having weathered several week long blackouts in the past few years I could easily see this lantern providing enough light for the entire episodes.

I prefer gear items which offer multi use options. The ability to charge without removing the battery is very convenient in real world use. I did attempt a night hike using just the lantern but found it annoying however as a last resort there is enough power to get the job done. The CL25R with 18650 isn't super light weight for those who are counting grams. Honestly for things beyond 10 miles I would just go with my DIY lantern diffuser attached to the backup flashlight as there is no real weight penalty. Granted it's small and very UL compared to many lantern options however luxury items tend to be high on my list of things to be removed when looking to cut down on pack weight.

Pros:

1. Tint is ok but wish it was warmer but good enough to be a pro. I think it's NW.
2. Came with battery.
3. Better quality USB cable than I expected.
4. Low mode is really nice.
5. Seems stable when standing.
6. It locks out.
7. Good mode spacing but wish for a 8-10 lumen mode as well.
8. I like the charging feature especially the ease of solar charging.
9. Can use 2XCR123 as well.

1. Possible PWM. Totally invisible to the naked eye in actual use.
2. Humming sound on the higher modes but not really an issue in real world use.
3. Small nick in the metal tube. Pure OCD on this one.
4. A very small - and + indicator on tail cap.
6. Dry threads.
7. Glare on high mode but then again it's bright. No way around that one.
8. What is the purpose in a flashing red mode. Maybe a boating thing? Can't see the value in that but to each their own.
9. At nearly 60 dollars it's not cheap.
10. Extra pack weight for a luxury item.

Conclusion:

I like it!

For those who either have too much time on their hands or prefer videos this is for you.

jeffsf

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review! It definitely has me considering the Fenix.

I found another review here as well, for those interested.

By the time you load up nine Eneloops into AA-to-D converters and chargers, even at the $17 for four with charger price at Amazon, the price differential with the $30-35 lanterns starts to fade away...

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Outstanding effort and completely successful. Great review. Enjoying the CL20 and the CL25R....can't wait for the 30!

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Thankyou for the review Woods Walker.

Appreciate it.
Just ordered one :)

Anders

It's a good gear item. Hope yea like it!

Outstanding effort and completely successful. Great review. Enjoying the CL20 and the CL25R....can't wait for the 30!

I have been looking at the CL20 for some time and just learned of the CL30 today on CPF! Fenix seems to be doing thing right these days IMHO.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can't charge and discharge it at the same time right? That is, you can't run it on high while having it plugged in to a usb charging source at the same time charging the battery.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can't charge and discharge it at the same time right? That is, you can't run it on high while having it plugged in to a usb charging source at the same time charging the battery.

I think you can have it on low or medium and charge at the same time. I asked a similar question in another thread and I think that was the conclusion.

eart

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review. The size appears to be about pop/beer can. Is that right?

petrochemicals

Newly Enlightened
Good review. Precicely what temperature is sqquid **** green please?

Edit

Didnt see the video.

Probably is pwm as the strobing on the lit lantern on the video is the pwm in action. If you slow mo the video you may be able to hear it!

Last edited:

brett19648

Newly Enlightened
nice review. seems like a pretty functional package. been keeping a look out for a 18650 lantern for a while but hadn't come across much.

What are the specs on the CL30 a couple of you mentioned? I'm not seeing any info on it when I google it and don't see it discussed in a thread anywhere.

Anders

Enlightened
Hi there.
Took some pictures when using ac om low and medium, this is without battery inserted.
Now you can calculate with your own cells how long they will last.

Last edited: