Neat led lantern

Valkyrie_2

Newly Enlightened
94008e37848a386ee7581613b2f49a36.jpg

Bought this beauty a few days ago in wallyworld. 550 lumens and takes 4 D cells. This is all the light I'm likely to need in my motorhome.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice. Does it have lower modes? If you have some translucent drafting paper like Glassine or drafting film you could reduce the glare a bit more by covering the outer clear plastic if you want.

JasonJ

Newly Enlightened
That doesnt look bad at all! I have a 3D lantern; I bought two during a power outage at the cottage (if at home, I'd have a thousand of them, ya know?)... it had HORRIBLE glare. So I wrapped the outside in plastic food wrap until it reduced down to where I was happy and my retinas stopped melting, then secured it with 2 of my wife's elastic hair ties.

I'll see if I can find a link or pic...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-300-Lumen-Lantern/34350002

There it is. Not too different from yours in terms of the internal reflector and output. Handy things, aren't they?!

Poppy

Flashaholic
That doesnt look bad at all! I have a 3D lantern; I bought two during a power outage at the cottage (if at home, I'd have a thousand of them, ya know?)... it had HORRIBLE glare. So I wrapped the outside in plastic food wrap until it reduced down to where I was happy and my retinas stopped melting, then secured it with 2 of my wife's elastic hair ties.

I'll see if I can find a link or pic...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-300-Lumen-Lantern/34350002

There it is. Not too different from yours in terms of the internal reflector and output. Handy things, aren't they?!
Jason,
I did a review of that lantern The Ozark Trail 300 Lumen lantern
It is currently only $10.88

Albert_

Newly Enlightened
I would want to mod this lamp to connect or install lithium batteries such as 18650's.

I have other lanterns that use D cells that there ok, but their heavy and bulky plus need to carry spare D cells around.

What the lantern requires if it doesn't have one already is an external input jack for other power sources.

You could easily mod this lantern for USB input power. If the battery carrier can be modded to accept lithium batteries it could converted to a rechargeable lantern.