Waterproof Lanyards

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking to put a lanyard on a AA Maglite for kayaking. Want something waterproof, any suggestions/links? Nothing fancy, just durable and somewhat cheap.

nbp

Flashaholic
McGizmo's tethers are the best there is if you want something cool and from within the community.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
McGizmo's tethers are the best there is if you want something cool and from within the community.
dude, I have one of those, and they are very cool. But, they are big I see then for serious use. I had a guy make me a mil spec version, so I won't drop a camera out of a helicopter.

I think you could search lanyards as there a few people that will make you what you want. However, the McGiz lanyards are wonderful otherwise, with one caveat, an M6LT will hit the ground as it is heavy.

If you have many lights it is fun to make your own lanyards I have an entire desk dedicated to that and flashlight service, like a small business, almost.

Oh and don't forget a bead, NBP, you know I had to say that! Sell me your five flute, sell me your bead!

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paracord and such won't work for what I want, looking for something plastic or rubber like, something non-absorbant. No braids, preferably solid.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
You can get neoprene neck straps or wrist straps at camera stores.If the mcgizmo thing isn't for you camera straps at adorama or b&h are an option as they have dslr weight holding type lanyards.

I use a neoprene wrist strap on my Nikon D700 with 70-300 lens with confidence...and that's about a 5# combo. It's rated to hold 15#'s.
I also use a neoprene neck strap. Way more comfy than the supplied one.

Last edited:

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast

LOL. I have enough corks at home to make my own 'floaty' apparatus.

The point of the waterproof lanyard is two fold, first of course to secure the light to my life vest. Second is to have cordage that is non-abosbant, resists oder, and can be rinsed off with a hose after an trip. This is why I'm not interested in fabric material despite it's water resistance.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright Sir,

This is what I can find that I think would float a Maglite yet be light enuff to stick on a vest with a small beaner. There are cheaper ones there also. You could just spray it neon orange to make it really stand out.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Forrest, thanks but I'm just looking for a cheap lanyard. No floatation needed as long as it's tethered to my vest. Losing a AA mag wouldn't be a big deal, that's why I take them in lieu of my better lights. I'd be unhappy if my HDS finds it's way to the bottom of the East River. I was thinking simple fishing line would work but maybe someone has a better idea.

nbp

Flashaholic
Forrest, thanks but I'm just looking for a cheap lanyard. No floatation needed as long as it's tethered to my vest. Losing a AA mag wouldn't be a big deal, that's why I take them in lieu of my better lights. I'd be unhappy if my HDS finds it's way to the bottom of the East River. I was thinking simple fishing line would work but maybe someone has a better idea.

If you use a better tether, you can carry a better light. :)

I wouldn't trust a MiniMag to survive a kayaking trip anyways. :eek: