Opinions On Current Flashlights

nd22121

Newly Enlightened
Hey Everyone,
I am new to flashlight collecting and a new member on this forum. I have been searching on it for awhile as a guest trying to read reviews. I have a decent amount of flashlights but there are only a few I think are worth mentioning as the other ones aren't really that good.
The two I want to mention that I have are:
Streamlight Pro-Tac HL
Fenix PD35

The Streamlight was my first flashlight that I thought was very bright. Now I don't know if this is even a good one or not, but when I first turned it on at night I was amazed at how bright it was. I don't know all the terms yet used here, but I think it has a nice throw and decent flooding. My backyard is pretty big with woods behind it and it easily lights up the yard.

The Fenix is one I just got a few days ago and I also like it a lot as well. I like the 5 different modes it has. I feel it is similar to the Streamlight in brightness.

I like both of them because they are somewhat small but very bright in my opinion.

I think I will start posting in the flashlight collecting forum to try and see what other brighter lights I can get.

john-paul

Newly Enlightened
Your wallet will be the only thing to hold you back from some of the brightest lights you can imagine. Your fenix is a very awesome light, I have a pd35tac that is my current EDC.

Stream

Enlightened
Your lights are in the 800 - 1000 lumen range, and that is typically as bright as it gets for small pocket sized single 18650 lights, but it is far from the brightest you can get. If you move up to larger multi cell lights you can go as high as 6000 or even 10 000 lumens. For me, the brightest light I own right now is the TK75 at 2900 lumens. I also own a PD35, and it is a very good light. You've made excellent choices with both of your lights, and I think most people on this forum would consider them good.

akhyar

Enlightened
If you upgrade to 4x 18650 lights, such as Nitecore TM16, Fenix TK75, Acebeam K60, you'll be graduating to 4k-5k lumens territory, but these lights are heavy and bulky, compared to your PD35.
If that is a huge step for you, can go for double 18650 lights that can easily reach 2k lumens but won't be as huge as the 4x 18650 lights

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Everyone,
I am new to flashlight collecting and a new member on this forum. I have been searching on it for awhile as a guest trying to read reviews. I have a decent amount of flashlights but there are only a few I think are worth mentioning as the other ones aren't really that good.
The two I want to mention that I have are:
Streamlight Pro-Tac HL
Fenix PD35

The Streamlight was my first flashlight that I thought was very bright. Now I don't know if this is even a good one or not, but when I first turned it on at night I was amazed at how bright it was. I don't know all the terms yet used here, but I think it has a nice throw and decent flooding. My backyard is pretty big with woods behind it and it easily lights up the yard.

The Fenix is one I just got a few days ago and I also like it a lot as well. I like the 5 different modes it has. I feel it is similar to the Streamlight in brightness.

I like both of them because they are somewhat small but very bright in my opinion.

I think I will start posting in the flashlight collecting forum to try and see what other brighter lights I can get.

top picks for sept 2015:

EDC: zebralight sc62w (blows away that PD35 which doesn't even have a proper low mode)

USB-rechargeable EDC: nitecore mh20

single-AA: zebralight sc5w OP (the most powerful single-AA)

2x 18650: nitecore ec4s

4x 18650: acebeam k60 (5000 lumens)

compact thrower: olight m2x-ut javelot

Stream

Enlightened
top picks for sept 2015:

EDC: zebralight sc62w (blows away that PD35 which doesn't even have a proper low mode)

The SC62 is awesome. I thought the choice of low modes on my old SC600 was great, but the SC62 goes even lower, and has even more programmable sub-levels. I use it almost every night to navigate around the house when I don't want to ruin my night vision. If I went camping very often, this would be the number 1 light to bring.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Noctigon M43, available with a wide variety of emitter choices. Turbo mode is a BLASTER, programmable by the end user. Must use button top cells, 18650x4.

nd22121

Newly Enlightened
Your lights are in the 800 - 1000 lumen range, and that is typically as bright as it gets for small pocket sized single 18650 lights, but it is far from the brightest you can get. If you move up to larger multi cell lights you can go as high as 6000 or even 10 000 lumens. For me, the brightest light I own right now is the TK75 at 2900 lumens. I also own a PD35, and it is a very good light. You've made excellent choices with both of your lights, and I think most people on this forum would consider them good.

Sorry this may be my ignorance, but I wasnt aware you could use 18650 batteries with those two lights I listed. I currently have 2 CR123s in them. Also I just purchased the TK75 (2900) version and am excited to try it out. I saw they made a new 2015 version, which I think was 4000 lumens, but my budget didn't allow for me to get that one right now. Hopefully the 2900 version will suffice!
Thanks for you input and opinions!

akhyar

Enlightened
Sorry this may be my ignorance, but I wasnt aware you could use 18650 batteries with those two lights I listed. I currently have 2 CR123s in them. Also I just purchased the TK75 (2900) version and am excited to try it out. I saw they made a new 2015 version, which I think was 4000 lumens, but my budget didn't allow for me to get that one right now. Hopefully the 2900 version will suffice!
Thanks for you input and opinions!

Your PD35 can take single 18650 or double CR123 but your ProTac HL is listed to take only double CR123.
You can always try to insert the 18650 into HL body tube and see whether it will fit. If it fits, there's a good chance it might work with 18650, but there's always a risk that the LED driver will be overworked and can shorten the lifespan of your light.

nd22121

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for everyone's input. I might look into some of those on that list Overclocker gave me. The Olight M2X and Zebralight SC62W are peaking my interest. I will have to wait a little though, they are somewhat expensive since I just bought that TK75.

Thanks again for everyon'e help!

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the correction.
I was making comparison 2 x CR123A at 6V against 2 x RCR123 at 7.4V in my mind when I should have compare the CR123 with 18650
Np, friend. Mental gymnastics is how we get sharp and stay sharp as flashaholics. :)

(8.4v typos happen. :) )

Last edited:

nd22121

Newly Enlightened
A lot of CR123x2 lights can also take 18650x1, but not all.

interesting. I didnt realize that. thanks for that info.

Your PD35 can take single 18650 or double CR123 but your ProTac HL is listed to take only double CR123.
You can always try to insert the 18650 into HL body tube and see whether it will fit. If it fits, there's a good chance it might work with 18650, but there's always a risk that the LED driver will be overworked and can shorten the lifespan of your light.

this is also good to know as i dont want to destroy the lights. However I think I might try it in the HL just to see if it does in fact fit.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ProTac HL has been upgraded to 750 Lumens. I prefer the UI of a single forward clicky. Ten Tap and you got 3 different mode settings including single mode.

@ around $65, and Streamlights CS / warranty, I think it's a steal.

If you happen to settle on another Fenix. Fenix-Store is where to buy them. Excellent CS and discounts.

I'd highly recommend ( A highly respected "CPF" brand ) checking out Malkoff Devices - MDC HA TAC , unmatched durability, reliability & customer service. Made in USA.

Or the Malkoff Turnkey @ $99.00. Depending what droppin, you can run 18650.

:welcome:

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Todays flashlights are GREAT!!!

Now if you have lights you like, that illuminate what you need to see and work everytime, it's a good light.
Names aside, there are a million billion choices these days. But the veterans here will steer you to lights that are safe bets to do exactly what you need them to do and advise you on the best bang for your buck.

You've joined a great site to learn from.