Using optical lenses to maximize LED wave length

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hello everybody. I have registered recently and just wanted to share now my ideas with you guys. Hope you tell me what you think about it, maybe someone have tried it already. I am dealing with import/export in my country (Estonia) and recently one of the manufacturer from China sent me a sample of so called PhotonLight (you can see picture of it here http://www.kaabel.tv/MiniSpot.jpg). Probably I will make large order soon because of good price $10 pc. Well, anyway when I got this item first time and saw the light beam I was amazed, you know I could not believed it first. OK.. now I am used of it and learned so much about that technology, also thanks to this forum. I wonder why no one have tried to develop small flashlight with regulated focus. It is very possible, only have to use some optical lenses and voila. You can try yourself if you have binocular or some sort of optical lenses. Well I cant talk too much you know my english is very bad and so on but hope you understood what i wanted to say. Bye!!

DaveH

Enlightened
A few of ideas here.

Some LED's already have a very narrow angle of light output, some as narrow as 5 degrees. For some led's putting a lens on to focus the light more wouldn't do much good.

At least one LED Light has a lens already, the PAL light: http://www.glow-bug.com/products/fl_s.lite.html

Depending on use, you may not want a focussed beam, you want an area light.

It would cost more to develop and manufacture lights with a lens. The light would cost more to the end user, you would want to make sure that your product is still competitive in the market place, that is people will buy it.

I do not mean to discourage you, just some thoughts I had on this matter.

DaveH

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Aileon,
so, your picture (after deleting the parantheses and period after the url) looks just like the Photons that the Photonics claim are made right here in good ol' Oregon, USA, ...is it a real Photon or a knockoff? Or has Photon already moved their operation to China? (if it hasn't been there already all the while)
Check out the Emissive Energy lights, similar to Photons; same led bulb, they have easy to change batteries, and are about half the price, even though they're made in the US!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I believe the Walmart Brinkman has a magnified lense. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Yes , the Brinkman and PAL lights both
use a lens . Also note that the epoxy body
of the LED itself is a lens.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

The problem with using a lense as a light collimating device is it needs a point source of light- meaning one LED. An array can't be focused unless the lense is a fairly long distance from the source(s), making it impractical. Reflectors require a very wide angle beam output (as in the LED Corp. PR bulb replacement module), unfortunately they haven't been able to produce one with substantially greater power than a single T-1 3/4 LED. Why can't they stack a bunch of chips in their custom case?
chet