Who has best QC?

Wolfy1776

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking to purchase 2 lights a 2XAA and a 4XAA. I'm looking for multiple settings including a moonlight mode. After reading on here I noticed certain brands have QC issues.

So my question is which manufactures do you think have the best QC?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Even well inspected junk is still garbage.

So maybe the quest should be who has the best quality to go along with features you seek.

And keep in mind, the more bells and whistles a light has the more likely things will go wrong.

So your quest should also include service and/warranty.

Want 100% reliability, then the simpler the better.

You might wanna read up about the Fenix lights or the Mag Lite xl series.

If $ aint an issue check out the Malkoff MDC AA version with it's M361 N emitter.

Every manufacturer has the occasional bad product get past the qc...especially high volume ones that test every so many.
But small companies will usually check each light before they get packaged.

Last edited:

PartyPete

Enlightened
I'm partial to fenix too.

Since you mentioned AA format:

Fenix E25 - 2x AA
Fenix E41 - 4x AA

Heck, why not a single AA - E12 or LD09 fit the bill.

The Sunwayman D40a is a highly recommended 4x AA light, lots of praise there, too.

But overall, based on my research, reliability and durability led me to Fenix. YMMV.

Wolfy1776

Newly Enlightened
I am not trying to start anything and agree that CS is just as important as quality. I've always been a fan of Craftsman tools because I can walk into any Sears with a broken tool and they replace it on the spot.

i am partial to Fenix light I currently have two the LOD and P3D. Both if these lights were crucial in me having sufficient light when I lost power for 8 days because of Sandy.

Thats is why I now want to add a few more using AA batteries and incorporating 3-4 brightness levels with at least a moonlight mode and stand on a tail cap.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
47s Quark (QK2A-X) for a 2AA and SWM D40A for 4AA, if you want moonlight mode, and other efficient low lows. 47s easily has the best warranty/CS in this price range.

Wolfy1776

Newly Enlightened
I like the Fenix E25 2015 Ultimate Edition it has all the features I'm looking for plus I'm partial to a side switch by the head of the light.

The E41 is the other light I'm looking at. I see it uses a battery carrier should I be concerned about it breaking?

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Let's get on track here. The OP is discussing quality control, not models of different flashlight companies.

Bill

Wolfy1776

Newly Enlightened
Sorry I am easily distracted. I would appreciate feedback because my exposure is limited to a handful of brands.

I've owned Surefire, Fenix, Energizer Fusion and of course Maglite. That's why I'm asking for input.

xzel87

Enlightened
Since you're in the states, the QC of american made brands should be top notch. For bombproof high quality set up you can't go wrong with a surefire host (G3, 9P) with malkoff m31 lmh drop in. Just wrap some paper as battery sleeve.

fenix should be okay as well for a 4xaa option. I would say Thrunite, but I'm hesitant as I have some personal experience.

Which manufacturer has the best QC?

Fenix, 47, Olight, Thrunite, Nitecore in that order I guess. American manufacturers such as Surefire, Elzetta and Maglite is above as well, but I'm not sure they have the modes you are looking for unless you go the p60 drop in route.

ven

Flashaholic
Tough question tbh, i own many brands and i still have an ultrafire after 5yrs that works fine, had Fenix DOA .......work that one out :laughing:

Guess my point is you have to be pretty unlucky these days to have issues but find what ever the brand, the risk is higher on new just out models. Be them rushed out , lack of QC due to rushing out and glitches/gremlins of early models.

To help reduce these factors try(yeh right) to not buy new models straight away before potential teething problems.

Fenix build are good for the money, even vinh states that when he opened a fenix light the build,quality of parts used are superior to other brands of similar costs.

Simplicity i guess =less chance of faults generally.

Dont own surefire,malkoff and elzetta but they have to be up there with the best for hard ,heavy dependable use.
Custom are another option and if any issues ,they are usually resolved with 2nd to none customer service.

Now living in the UK:thumbsdow we are not blessed with easy to buy options above without importing or paying high premiums from sellers...........

My choices are simple, vinh...........he opens them up,improves internals,better heat sinking and again 2nd to none customer service.......heck he even offers free return if you dont like the light!!!!

If budget is not too much of an issue,maybe look at a gizmo AA.............think thats about as good as you can get within reason,simple case of buy once cry once...........

Good value and reputable ,Fenix imo are up there for a choice.................

Just imo and in now way am i saying i am correct, however if you disagree your wrong:nana:

Thats my disclaimer and of course i am joking:p

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
My choices are simple, vinh...........he opens them up,improves internals,better heat sinking and again 2nd to none customer service.......heck he even offers free return if you dont like the light!!!!
The pics Vinh occasionally posts of junk inside of lights new-in-box are unbelievable. Bad solder joints, loose contacts, pills not screwed in all the way...

ven

Flashaholic
The pics Vinh occasionally posts of junk inside of lights new-in-box are unbelievable. Bad solder joints, loose contacts, pills not screwed in all the way...

+1 mr vamp

Its shocking but unsurprising all the same with mass produced lights..........nitecore of some are a joke............ Will give benefit of doubt on higher end lights like the tm36, but cheaper ones can be shocking.......

For a brand that seems to sustain a good standard and chinese made, fenix seem the be that brand!!!

Luckily even "junk" can be turned into reliable solid lights thanks to our vinh, beefed up wires,better soldering and heat sinking. Not only that, issues from factory have been resolved too.............now with driver options it has gone from strength to strength imo.........

I know a few state they like their manufacturers warranty and i understand fully their train of thought, just vinhs is better.............by a long way imo. No china send offs, no 6+week waits...........better light all round. Of course thats my opinion and i am not biased.........honest!!! I just go off personal experience across a wide range of brands.

Fenix, my one issue with the e25 flickering then dead was resolved above my expectations. Admittedly at 1st it took a little persistence, but once on their radar their responses where within 24hrs and a new e25 had was posted FOC.

Now i loved my AA fed Klarus, the fun i had regarding a useless clip that broke, i mean $1 kind of cost. Now once bitten thats it.........dont care what brand and i washed my hands with that brand down to many emails, took a month for contact and an unsatisfactory outcome. So now matter what model,no matter what cost= no buy for me!

So yes in short, vinh(sure other modders too) make great options for flashlight purchases around reliability ..............again just imo:)

ven

Flashaholic
Without being a broken record, a brand that is not too popular still surpass any warranty issues by a long way from a manufacturer.....long way. Now i admit its limited as luckily not too many issues, but from the ones i have owned Lenser was astonishing. In short, spoke on phone, part posted same day FOC and received next day. Issue was my fault and admitted dropping tail of my t7 on a tiled floor,they sent carrier and tail cap in the mail..........

Pleasure to deal with, and although not cutting edge, they offer a great light for the regular flashlight user who uses regular cells

LedTed

Enlightened
Since you're in the states, the QC of american made brands should be top notch. (REDUCTED)

Please know that I'm not bashing America.

If I'm taking the message correctly, I simply must disagree with the assumption that American made brands are automatically the best.

"Quality" is a system. Any system is limited to, and somewhat defined, by its weakest link.

In this case, we are talking about Quality Control (QC). Two if the biggest factors for QC are: a well defined robust process, and well trained capable operators. Manufacturing plant location is inconsequential.

That my 2¢ anyway,

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me, Quality Control is a prodecure of operations to identify problems and fix them before they get into the customer's hands. If they make it to the customer's hands, a "root cause analysis" is performed and the problems fixed.

Failing that, the company must be prepared to start taking big losses as they RMA/replace defective unit after defective unit. If they don't fix it then, this will result in the final failure of the company, layoffs and closing of doors. American consumer protection laws kick in. American companies take the hit if all they sell is junk.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'll compare company A to company C

Not because I prefer one over the other.
But to make a point about quality control potential.

Company A is a big, nationwide company that sells a whole lot of flashlights every month. So a big ole warehouse with a bunch of machines and employees is required.

Company C is a guy makes each one himself.

Both are fine products. But the likelihood of a bad switch, an off center emitter or other defective product is more likely to make it to the buyer with the larger, mass produced products than the ones made by the owner.

I recently received a clicky from a large top shelf manufacturer that was DOA. Yet a simple spring stretch and some simple tweakage got it going.

So it had likely passed the QC checks, but probably not actually tested.

Ima QC guy for road work. Sometimes roads that passed all the tests and were made of top quality materials need maintenance long before some roads built hurredly to get traffic going again.
Ya just never know sometimes.

Last edited:

mwingeier

Newly Enlightened
In this case, we are talking about Quality Control (QC). Two if the biggest factors for QC are: a well defined robust process, and well trained capable operators. Manufacturing plant location is inconsequential. ,

I agree here. I do high end audio work, and a manufacturer that I was looking at relocated the production to China for the costs, same as everybody. Everyone blew them off as a cheap brand due to that. What they found out was that when they would visit the factory for inspection, quality was great. When they left, corners were cut for profit and it went back to junk. They finally realized that they would need to have an office near the plant to keep an eye on manufacturing, and quality went right back up.

PartyPete

Enlightened
I like the Fenix E25 2015 Ultimate Edition it has all the features I'm looking for plus I'm partial to a side switch by the head of the light.

The E41 is the other light I'm looking at. I see it uses a battery carrier should I be concerned about it breaking?
The E25ue looks pretty versatile. If you are OK with the side switch, it seems like a handy light.

Also, the E41 does not use a battery carrier, the cells drop right in, which I like. People don't seem to care for the UI, but to me it's nice and simple. I may pick one up as my next light.