Problems With Streamlight Protac 2AA Cutting Out

Ro_Laren

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Streamlight Protac 2AA and have been using it since early September. I have been using the batteries that came with my flashlight. Since I have been using the same pair of alkaline batteries the whole time the intensity of the light has faded over time (I basically only use the flashlight to get around the house at night when everyone is asleep). The flashlight is no longer putting out 165 lumens, but this is something I would expect when using the same pair of batteries for over a month. However, when I use the flashlight the light keeps cutting off completely. Then I shake the flashlight and the light will come back on (I don't know if shaking it is making the light come back on or if the light is just turning back on its own at the same time that I happen to be shaking the flashlight).

Is this issue just because I have been using the same set of alkaline batteries since early September or could there be an issue with my flashlight? FYI, I bought my Streamlight Protac 2AA from a vendor in Texas on Amazon. How can I verify that they sold me a genuine Streamlight and not a fake from overseas?

claywilliams1987

Newly Enlightened
I had one for about 5 years. I had the same problems about the 4th year and it started doing the same thing. About a month or two ago it gave up the ghost and I threw it away. I hope yours fairs better.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Strange. They have a regulated output that is supposed to keep a constant light output regardless of the battery voltages. So that makes me wonder if the driver is acting up? Once the batteries get to a certain point they light should just go dark. But this light may be trying to decide if it time to shut off or stay running. So you may have a battery issue? Its possible a light issue. Maybe the switch?? Also, I doubt your threads are dirty because you haven't opened much if any but that is worth checking out.

What I would try: (in this order one step at a time)
Fresh Energizer or Duracell batteries.
Clean threads & contact points. It may be worth your time to clean ALL the threads with alcohol then lube them lightly with some Dielectric grease.

Nothing fixes it?? Streamlight warranty will fix it. I assume it is authentic. I am not aware of many fakes of this particular model. I could be proven wrong, but just saying it seems unlikely.

Edit: Welcome to the forum guys!

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do a search about cleaning and re-lubing lights. Drop in fresh batteries.

Do not over lube threads since using some lubes might interrupt the connection. Again, read up about maintenance. Be sure you're using the right stuff.

DeOxit and DeOxit Gold (or whatever they call it now) are great for maintaining electrical contact. Worth the cost.

If the maintenance doesn't help just send it in for warranty service.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
One time, I THOUGHT I used new batteries, but it was not so. That'll really trip you up on troubleshooting.

Ro_Laren

Newly Enlightened
Have you tried new batteries?

When the batteries in my old flashlight drained overtime (with use) then the light just got dimmer. It didn't completely cut off. Shouldn't it be the same with my Streamlight flashlight? Even though I've used it for over a month, right now my Streamlight is brighter than my old flashlight. If I can't use my batteries until they are drained of juice then there has to be something wrong with my Streamlight.

By the way, these batteries were 100% new when I first put them in my Streamlight: they came with the flashlight. That is unless Streamlight is packaging used batteries with their flashlights, lol.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have a set of fresh batteries around somewhere, it won't hurt to pop them in. If they do not fix the problem, you can swap the old batteries back.

Probably won't fix it, but it's worth a try.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
As said above, try another set of batteries.
And as Str8stroke said a regulated light will try to keep the output as long as possible and when the batteries loose to much voltage the light switch off. Then the batteries may bounce up in voltage again and the light works for a short while again and so on.
Even if the batteries where new a month ago that doesn't mean that they can't be empty now.

So, try another set before you continue the troubleshooting.