Nitecore EA81 2000lm or Nitecore EA45S Die Cast

markr6

Flashaholic
I don't know, that's tough to say without seeing both in person. But for me, 8AA is a bit much. The 4xAA is substantially lighter, plus the die cast is pretty cool. I wasn't sure about it at first, but after using my EC4S for about a week and switching between other lights, I can really notice the lighter weight.

Throw is not that much different between the two. Twice the brightness may not be all that impressive in person either. The beam may be nicer on the EA81, but that's just a guess.

I'm leaning towards the EA45S. I really like the XP-L HI emitters, too.

Don't just take my advice though :)

Chaitanya

Banned
EA81 comes in NW tint was well, unless nitecore specifies the tint for EA45S(though I suspect is going to NW since the EC4S is NW tinted one) I think that EA81 has some niche market.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought the EA8 for the throw, and the fact that I would rather buy and recharge 8 AAs than 4 18650, and I could always just drop some lithium primaries in if I ran short. Since then I have acquired a TM16, so am selling my EA8 and TM11 as the TM16 replaces both in my needs hierarchy. I already have an EA4W and an EA41, and I see no reason to switch to the EA45S. If I was just starting out I can see the advantages to the die cast members of the family, but since all of my needs are already met, I'm going to stay set in my ways.

ginaz

Enlightened
i love my EA4W. if they give us the EA45S in NW then i might finally have to upgrade my Fenix LD40

creegeek

Newly Enlightened
Some good info for me... Looking at the size and weight of the EA45S its a no brainer in favor of that light. Also - I did a quick test - Energizer AA Lithium is 1/2 the weight of an Eneloop Pro battery... So for longer hikes or cold temperatures the Lithium AAs save weight and extend runtime.

Last edited:

creegeek

Newly Enlightened
I have one on the way... I'll post a hands on impressions once I've had time to play with it.