Olight S10R II Baton (XP-L HD, 1x RCR123A/CR123A, Rechargeable) Review

kj2

Flashaholic
30xk4n8.jpg

2af0pd2.jpg

One of Olight latest releases, in their EDC-section, is the S10R II Baton. It's an updated version of the older S10R, which I reviewed previously.
The S10R II still runs on one (included) RCR123A (16340) battery. As back-up, this light also works on a non-rechargeable CR123A battery.
With a max output of 500 lumens, it's quite a pocket lighthouse ;)

The packaging:

The S10R II comes in Olight today's standard clear packaging.

2w5ip0g.jpg
2yzbsk6.jpg

Inside the packaging you'll find; the S10R II, 1x Olight RCR123A battery (inside the light), manual, USB-cable, charging-dock, sticky pad for charging dock and a lanyard.
The pocket clip is already attached to the light.

sb3hqe.jpg

Normally I don't really pay attention to the lanyard, but I noticed that Olight added a small needle at the end. This helps you attaching the lanyard through the small lanyard-hole in the tailcap.

24pb4nb.jpg

Features and Specifications: (given by Olight)

KEY FEATURES:

• The S10RII uses the highest output Cree XP-L HD LED which can reach up to 500 lumens.
  • Blue PVD technology stainless steel bezel and ring around the switch.
  • Flat side button to prevent the light turning on in the pocket.
  • Low battery indicator function. Red LED on the button will light up when the battery is low.
  • The Olight Rechargeable 650mAh RCR123A battery can last up to 7 days on one charge.
  • Intelligent MICRO-USB charging cable can be used for other device electronic devices that take USB.
  • Five output modes: 3 normal brightness levels: 5 lumens, 100 lumens, 500 lumens, a special 0.5 lumen moonlight mode, and a 10HZ Strobe mode.
  • Flat tailcap with a strong magnet that can attach to any metal surface for hands free operation.
  • Based on the run time of active thermal control, 4 1/2 minutes highlighting, 3 minutes gently fall to 60% of the initial brightness.
  • Battery reverse polarity construction.
  • Hardened temper Glass, double-sided anti-reflective film coating.
  • Removable U arm stainless steel pocket clip, high toughness, two-way installation, salt bath nitrite surface treatment (QPQ technology), anti-scrape, anti-corrosion.

MSRP: $59.95

The manual gives information on specs, user interface and more. Always handy to read before usage ;)

2uolwkz.jpg

t85ekg.jpg

2086wk8.jpg
72tamu.jpg

14ecv2d.jpg
2hdobgj.jpg

29bfwvl.jpg
fao8r5.jpg

The S10R II still shares most looks from the older versions, there as been some change. The bezel has been given a beautiful blue PVD coating. The same has been done on the ring, surrounding the side-switch.
To prevent accidental activation when carrying, the side-switch is now flat. This helps to prevent warm pockets ;) A electronic and physical lockout is present.
Pocket-clip design allows deep pocket carry. In the middle of the side-switch is a little red-led indicator which acts as low-voltage indicator. There still is a magnet in the tailcap.
Anodizing is nicely done, engraving is sharp and white. The is knurling all over the light, but the clip gives you the most grip. The blue o-ring near the reflector has GITD powder, to find the light a little bit easier.

2hekr3b.jpg
1z6qw78.jpg

Down the smooth reflector, sits a centered XP-L led.

6y38mc.jpg

To charge the S10R II, you just drop it on the included charging-dock. Plug the dock in a USB-port with the included USB-cable. There have been issues with this charging dock before, but Olight has learned and improved.
Output of the dock is still 4.55V but charges now at 750mA. The extended USB-port lets you charge other devices via the dock.

w4f8n.jpg
2zflao3.jpg

2czvck7.jpg

A led indicator shows the status. Red when charging, and turns green when charging is done. When the dock is powered, but isn't charging, the indicator blinks red every ~2 seconds.
Charging dock finished charging around 4.19V.

2qjeflv.jpg
242in9t.jpg

The center charging point in the tailcap, lays lower then the outside ring. This prevents a possible short-cut when for example keys, are kept in the same pocket as the light.

169s043.jpg
ayac8z.jpg

x0p9hd.jpg
nb58j5.jpg

The S10R II has anodized square-cut threads. Therefore a physical lockout is possible. My sample came well lubed.
A small battery polarity indication mark inside the battery tube, shows how to insert the battery correctly.

2coo4ee.jpg
2vrssaw.jpg

Springs at both sides of the battery helps with shock absorption. Physical polarity protection at the head, prevents the light to turn On, when the battery is inserted wrong.

xf9htv.jpg
29p3gjn.jpg

The included Olight RCR123A battery.

2hictix.jpg

User Interface:

From Off; press and hold to enter Moonlight mode. Click ones to return to memorized brightness level. Two clicks to enter High.
When On, press and hold to cycle between Low > Med > High. Two clicks will select the Strobe mode.

To electronically lockout the light, press and hold the side-switch for 2 seconds from Off. To exit the lockout, press and hold for 1 second.
It's also possible to lockout with the tailcap. Just loosen the tailcap a quarter turn.

Size comparison:

okv32f.jpg

Duracell CR123A, Lumintop ED10, Olight S10R II, Olight S10, Zebralight SC32w.

1z71yk5.jpg
2aqiz9.jpg

au9rg1.jpg

Indoor Beamshots/ Outdoor Beamshots:
ISO400, f/5.6, 1/20 sec - Canon 500D - Light approx 30cm/ camera 1m in front of wall. (moonlight mode taken with ISO400, f/5.6 , 1/4 sec)

vgsbh1.jpg
t02dmd.jpg
24llxk8.jpg
6huczs.jpg

104re41.jpg
34o37h0.jpg
2n58ad.jpg
30urbiv.jpg

14456972152378422.gif

14456972832385435.gif

34sgjew.jpg
2eyuxw5.jpg

Positives and Negatives:

In this section I give my quick view on +'s and -'s.

+ Small yet powerful
+ Easy rechargeable
+ Moonlight mode

- Magnet could interfere with other carried items

Conclusion:

The S10R II is slightly larger then the new Olight S1, but it brings the easy charging option with him. Because of the small size, you hardly notice you carry a light with you.
Convenient for some, and for some not, but the magnet in the tailcap works great when you need both hands. But be careful when you pocket carry the light, next to other items in your pocket.
The blue PVD coated bezel makes the S10R II standout of the crowd :)

S10R II Baton was supplied by Adola for review, on behalf of Olight.

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
Reserved for updates..

Update 1: after rechecking the charging cycle, I noticed the charging dock indicator turns green (full charge) while my multi meter indicates the battery has a voltage of 4.00.
After a second charging attempt, the indicator turned green when the battery was around 4.07V.
Edit: according Olight CS it's normal charging ends when the battery is somewhere between 4.00-4.20V.

Last edited:

NorthernStar

Enlightened
Outstanding review with great pics!:thumbsup:

The predecessor of this light(S10R) had issues with the charging dock. Have you done this test: run the light until the low voltage indicator turns red. Then insert the light in the charging dock, and see if it starts to charge without any issues(blinking red and so on). Does the light charge in the dock without issues?

kj2

Flashaholic
Outstanding review with great pics!:thumbsup:

The predecessor of this light(S10R) had issues with the charging dock. Have you done this test: run the light until the low voltage indicator turns red. Then insert the light in the charging dock, and see if it starts to charge without any issues(blinking red and so on). Does the light charge in the dock without issues?

The indicator did turn On once, when testing. Placed it on the dock, and it started charging. Haven't experienced any problems, at this moment. Will discharge and charge again, to be sure.

NorthernStar

Enlightened
The indicator did turn On once, when testing. Placed it on the dock, and it started charging. Haven't experienced any problems, at this moment. Will discharge and charge again, to be sure.

Sounds good. Since this is the S10RII i thought that it had the same design change as the S30RII, with insertion of the battery in the opposite direction and the springy center contact on the charging dock, not on the tail.:thinking: I hope that Olight finally has solved the issue with the charging dock that appeared on the old S10R versions.

kj2

Flashaholic
Just checked again. Running in High until indicator kicks in. Dropped on the charging dock, and starts charging. No problems.

NorthernStar

Enlightened
Just checked again. Running in High until indicator kicks in. Dropped on the charging dock, and starts charging. No problems.

Thanks for sharing your testresult.

Olight%20S10RII%20011_zpsw4lwskkw.jpg

S10R and S10RII side by side. The blue color on the S10RII is indeed looking good!:)

Yesterday i received my S10RII, and i have done the same test. Unlike the predecessor with issues that immediately started to blinking rapidly red when placing it at the charging dock, the charging dock that came with the S10RII did not start to blink when placing the light at it.The charging dock indicator turned red, like it is supposed to.

However, it´s not entirely free from issues. After what i estimate to be half the charging cycle, the indicator at the charging dock started to blink. Not rapidly, but slowly as when it´s on standby and there is no light in it. I took it of from the charging dock, and then put it back again and then it continued to charge without blinking.

When the charging cycle was complete, i by curiosity took out the Olight RCR123 battery that came with the light out from the S10RII, and placed it in my Klarus CH4S charger with digital display,just to see if the battery was fully charged. It was not. According to the display on the CH4S charger,the battery was charged to about 80% capacity. I don´t have any voltage meter to test the battery with, but i find the CH4S display trustworthy.

The charging dock works much better than on it´s predecessor, but still there was a disruption in the charging cycle, and the charging dock does not charge the battery to 100%, at least not on my sample.:shrug:

KJ2,
have you done any measure of your battery after it has completed the charging cycle in the charging dock, to see if it has been charged to 100% capacity?

kj2

Flashaholic
Thanks for sharing your testresult.

KJ2,
have you done any measure of your battery after it has completed the charging cycle in the charging dock, to see if it has been charged to 100% capacity?
Measured ones, and when the dock indicated fully charged, it was around 4.19V. Will discharge and charge to check again.

kj2

Flashaholic
So check again. Indicator turned green earlier then I expected, and measured right after it. Although my multi meter indicated around 4.18/4.19V at first, it says now the battery is 4.00V. That's way below what it should be. Will inform Olight and post their response.

Edit: after I measured the voltage I placed the light back on the dock, and it started charging again. Will measure voltage again, when indicated a full charge.

Edit: after a second charging attempt, the dock indicator turned green, when the battery is around 4.07V.

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
Have received answer back from Olight. They say it's normal charging ends when the battery is between 4.00-4.20V.