cheapest way to 200+ lumens?

nybble

Newly Enlightened
Hello all, I'm curious as to what the cheapest flashlight is that will provide at least 200 lumens? I'm thinking of getting an SF M4 (that hopefully plays ok with pila's?)... but then was wondering what else was out there that was good and bright? Thanks for any help!

Lexus

Enlightened
I've read somewhere that the Tigerlight produces more than 250 lumens. You might want to do a search for it. It should be cheaper than the M4 too and is rechargeable. I wouldn't use pilas in an unregulated light, it would be dimmer than with 123a batts.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do a search for G2 here on CPF - or make that G2+ - take a SF G2, add an AN14 for length and a G2Z bezel or mod the G2 bezel with an UCL lense, put three 123s and a 1/2 123 size dummy in plus the SF P91 LA and voila - 200 low cost Lumens.

Klaus

nybble

Newly Enlightened
Lexus - yeah.. the tigerlight fbop looks pretty good, maybe that's the ticket, just over half the price of an m4!

Klaus - yow, that's pretty good! The thing that's pushing the tigerlight over the g2 mod is the rechargeability of the tl. But that mod does come out to be pretty durn cheap. urgh.

Thanks for the tips guys. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

symes

Enlightened
Hey, I have the Tigerlight FBOP and M2, M3/M6 but not M4. I skipped over the M4, not because it isn't a great light, but because it is their only 12V light and so interchangeability of heads/bodies etc... isn't really useful unless you use dummy cells... with the M3, M6 and KL2, I have all sorts of options of power and run-time...

I'd say that the Tigerlight has a longer throw than the M3@225 but not total brightness, it just has a realy cool center spot that seems to keep penetrating the distance. I'm guessing that an M4 would take you much further in the light generation stakes, I know my M6 even at 250 seems a much brighter light for medium distance work. Of course the 500 lumen is totally another thing.

Also, you have to balance Lithiums vs Rechargeable. If the light is always in use, rechargeable is cool - hence my Tiger is my duty light. However, if you are keeping it around for the occasional use, then I'd have to recommend an SF just because you can leave it there for 10 years or so and still get a guaranteed startup without having to remember if you charged it recently.

I also picked up a C3 just recently, (I plan to use it to host a KL3 for a different purpose) but I was very impressed for such a small package how well it generates light. I just had the 105 lamp in, but I'm guessing that the 200 would be pretty cool. My M2 currently has a KT1 turbo head on, so I put the old M2 head on the C3 and that feels like a very nice solid light now. My C3 via eBay was just over $100 and much, much smaller and lighter than the Tiger.

Your big decision IMHO is whether you need a rechargeable long spot or an always available immense quality, lightweight but more pricy one. Also, the infamous Surefire debate....do you need 200 lumens for 1 hour or 20 minutes....???

kind regards,

Simon

P.S. Just for interest and trying to be creative, how about a vital gear 3x123 tube, an E2C adapter and a KT2/N2 turbohead. Light, small and bright, all under $150 I think...

zumlin

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Klaus said:
Do a search for G2 here on CPF - or make that G2+ - take a SF G2, add an AN14 for length and a G2Z bezel or mod the G2 bezel with an UCL lense, put three 123s and a 1/2 123 size dummy in plus the SF P91 LA and voila - 200 low cost Lumens.

Klaus

[/ QUOTE ]

G2 - $25
AN14 - $7
UCL Lens - $7
or
B270 Lens - $2 (I used this)
P91 - $24
Spacer - ?? (I made my own)

My version is $65 (Garrity Clickie + B270)
Without clickie, with B270 - $58
Without clickie, with UCL - $63
With clickie, with UCL - $70

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are just looking at the cheapest 200+, the Underwater Kinetics SL6 is the way to go.

If you want to do something with a little extra versatility, get the G2 & add the P91, etc. The most difficult part is cutting down the battery spacer. It allows you to easily switch from 65 to 105 (with P90) to 200 lumens.

paulr

Flashaholic
I don't believe the SL6C has 200 lumens at least the way Surefire measures lumens.

The cheapest way is with a spotlight like the $20 Banana Vector, but that may not meet your portability or waterproofness needs.

nybble

Newly Enlightened
Huh! A lot to think about.. the g2 is tempting - I'll probably end up with both the tigerlight and the g2+. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Thinking that I might start with the tigerlight, because it's easy and I like that it's rechargeable. But I do seem to enjoy giving surefire my hard earned money...

Hadn't heard of the uk sl6, need to investigate that further.

rlhess

Enlightened
The UK SL6 puts out less light than the Streamlight TL-3.

I did not include it in my shootout at http://www.richardhess.com/cpf/shootout1.jpg

I don't think it really is 200 lumens at all. The bulb maybe could put that out, but not the complete light.

Also, with alkalines, it doesn't stay bright that long.

I have two. My wife uses them. Not a bad light, though she uses her Streamlight 3C LED far more.

Cheers,

Richard

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
rlhess,
If you compared the UK SL6 to other lights with known lumens about what would guess the Lumens to be.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
rlhess said:
The UK SL6 puts out less light than the Streamlight TL-3.

[/ QUOTE ]

My SL6 out throws the TL3 by a lot, now total lumens is hard to judge but I bet the SL6 would win.

TonyBPD

Enlightened
Does anyone have any pictures of their "G2+". I'm curious to see what the spacer looks like. Also curious as to where it goes. Thanks in advance.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
For rechargeable options in regards to the G2+ look HERE where I listed plenty of them.

Spacer - I used a wooden piece with nail through - ugly but efficient /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Klaus