What can I do with my old 2013 Fenix LD22 200 lumen flashlight?

SkOrPn

Newly Enlightened
As the title states, I have a 2013 LD22 that is still in its original form. The rubber tail cap button cover has broken off but everything else is still pretty much pristine. Since then Fenix has upgraded this light multiple times. It is now a 800 lumen flashlight (LD22 V2). Are there any drop in mods that I can do myself to achieve the same results perhaps, or close to it? How can I replace the rubber button cap as well? Thanks for any advice.

Rod

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Fenix customer service is excellent. I would contact them.

They have done me some favors before, for no charge.

Get it fixed, then gift it to a young family member to start their journey. (This is related to how vampires are made, kinda..) 200.gif

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you measure the diameter and height of the rubber boot? Many of them are a pretty common size. I successfully replaced a Sunwayman boot with an older 4-7s boot, but had to try a bunch of other brands to find the best fit.

I see Fenix UK has shallow boots for old LD22, not sure why the US store doesn't, maybe send them an email
in stock: https://www.fenixlight.co.uk/product/fenix-switch-boot-shallow-1566
out of stock: https://www.fenixlight.co.uk/product/fenix-switch-boot-(deep)-1565

The LD22 had a very efficient driver, so if you could replace just the LED it would still be great and efficient, but even then not as bright as today's harder driven lights.

I'd fix the boot not worry about the LED and throw it in the car glovebox with some L91 lithium primaries. Maybe give it away to a stranded motorist fixing a flat.
here is video of replacing the boot:

and instructions:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found some old fenix boots in my parts bin, but they are of the short variety. Which version of the LD22 do you have? Does it have a grey side switch for modes near the head, or is it tail switch only. Is it a forward or reverse clicky?