I broke my flashlight!

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, I messed up. I took a 3xAAA zoomie that one of my kids gave me, and put a SF 18650 in it. Turned it on, it lit up, then went out. I put the 3xAAA's back in and it won't light. Tried taking the cap off and shorting the negative contact to the case, no go, nothing, nada. If I had acquired this light some other way, I wouldn't really care, but it is a company marked souvenir from my kid for this last Father's Day. Help! 🆘

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
you burned the led or a driver, buy the same light , and replace the pill (driver, led, heatsink).

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I'm sure you checked but is the battery pack in the right way

oh just reread what you did yep probably blew the led.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
you burned the led or a driver, buy the same light , and replace the pill (driver, led, heatsink).
The problem is, it is a generic made in China flashlight that a former employer had their company name printed on. I have no idea of the brand, so I can't just buy another one. I looked at the LED, it appears unburned. So, I'm thinking the driver?

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
100_0921.JPG

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I like really needed that. :(
Sorry man. I thought you might get a little laugh, and as they say, sometimes if you don't laugh you cry. Works for me sometimes. We all live and learn, and as I can attest personally, sometimes we learn the hard way.

Trial and error is part of the foundation of living, but I've found in my long experience, 'electronics / electrical' areas specifically are not generally a good place for that.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
ebay and amazon are full of such lights, 5 to 10 bucks a piece, chances are they have same internals, but to be sure remove the bezel, lens, then you most likely need to unscrew either the stop ring, or entire pill out. then you can test what failed, led or the driver, just because the led looks fine on the outside does not mean it has not failed, i had leds die with no visible clues on the outside.
type in 3aaa zoom light in ebay or amazon search and you'll see plenty of exactly the same lights

nightshade

Enlightened
Odd, it's a NKZ zoomie, cheap but designed for 3aaa and 18650. Did the head + contact get crushed? Or switch spring compressed?

nightshade

Enlightened
If your loved ones gifted it, I understand. Like everyone stated, its rebranded quite a lot. Easy to get. Here is a short tutorial on the breakdown, if... Big if....it's the ubiquitous light I believe it is.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your loved ones gifted it, I understand. Like everyone stated, its rebranded quite a lot. Easy to get. Here is a short tutorial on the breakdown, if... Big if....it's the ubiquitous light I believe it is.

That looks like it to me, but I don't think the bezel comes off, and I tried to unscrew the head, but it just seemed to turn, not engage any threads. I'll try some more, but, I think bykfixer called it, I think it is dead; I may just let it RIP, at least for now.

nightshade

Enlightened
I don't blame you, those lights are everywhere. But, better than nothing. Tell the truth of it's demise and move on. ;)