I goofed-what can I salvage?

bluedog225

Newly Enlightened
Some dummy (me) left two newish Ryobi 18 volt battery packs out in the weather. I convinced myself there had only been a heavy dew but in reality they got rained on. Found them a week later. Circuits seem fried but he unprotected 18650s are holding voltage. Neither will charge in the Ryobi charger.

I vaguely recall that there may be flashlights that use unprotected 18650 cells. Can someone point me in the right direction? I've only use protected to this point.

Or any other ideas for salvage. I hate the idea of wasting these cells.

Thanks

IMG_0162.jpeg
IMG_0163.jpeg

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of the "enthusiast" type lights require unprotected cells. And they're mostly good lights too. Convoy, emisar, noctigon, sofirn, lumitop, Armytek, zebra light, wurrkos. All will be fine. And many others as well. Actually unprotected is the better choice for most lights. They either have lvp or they get dim enough it's very obvious

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think there's no problem with using them in 18650 applications. It's just that they may be a bit shorter and you may have to make a button top for some lights, and you have to be careful to not over charge or over discharge them. The upside is that you usually get more current draw, if that matters to you.

I am disappointed that the packs failed after the rain. Often, electronics will work fine after freshwater if carefully, thoroughly dried and any corrosion taken care of. It's also odd that both packs seem completely different.

bluedog225

Newly Enlightened
What would I use to charge unprotected cells? Anything special?

And any specific brands of flashlight would be appreciated. Do some have protection (for charging and using) built into the flashlight?

I think the corrosion was mostly due to letting them set wet for too long. They needed a tamper proof Allen key I didn't have at the time.

And thanks to all.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
What would I use to charge unprotected cells? Anything special?

And any specific brands of flashlight would be appreciated. Do some have protection (for charging and using) built into the flashlight?

I think the corrosion was mostly due to letting them set wet for too long. They needed a tamper proof Allen key I didn't have at the time.

And thanks to all.
I already said all the brands. That's 100s of flashlights. All work best with unprotected cells and have lvp. Chargers are all the same. Anything over a couple $ will terminate charge when the cell is full.
Honestly you're overthinking this. I only use unprotected cells. Even in incandescent flashlights which have no protection at all. It's always been 100% fine

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of these with the 519A dedomed 5700K but you may prefer a cooler beam? Lots of other choices for unprotected 18650

Curious if you are the same bluedog225 on diysolarforum?

bluedog225

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. I'm going to break open one of them and throw it on the charger then try it on my zebra light. Excellent CRI and I like working at night with the high beam on.

yes, that's me on the solar forum. Great site.