Two Surefires that I don't know what to do with

This is gonna be a deep rabbit hole here!

And yeah guys, don't forget to explain your terminology and model numbers and stuff.

I hate it when I see stuff like "I just put a BFH upgrade into my UWOTM8 and it's better than the FFS y'all"

....and I'm face down on my desk lamenting the 50 brain cells that died when they read that sentence.
Wait, you mean instead of using the HC head on the Elzetta Charlie I should swap out in favor of the M91T with TIR and run it on four CR123s in the MD4 with hi/lo so there's less current draw while maintaining candela output and have the even 6000K beam profile and two modes?

Now we're talkin'!

Would anything new from Carclo make a difference in the performance of the light after I swap the head?
By Carclo, do you mean an optic? If so, the M61 has an excellent textured reflector that'll cover most daily uses; no need for (and not compatible with) another optic.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait, you mean instead of using the HC head on the Elzetta Charlie I should swap out in favor of the M91T with TIR and run it on four CR123s in the MD4 with hi/lo so there's less current draw while maintaining candela output and have the even 6000K beam profile and two modes?

I haven't met Elzetta Charlie but if you married this girl you'd best not be swapping her with anyone else, know what I'm sayin'?

(and you forgot to abbreviate candela as just "cd") ;)

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would get the M61N to start for your G2. I don't think you'll need the stock spring. I doubt it'll harm the plastic lens.

Good puppy!

Also, I say ditto to all this as well. That's what I'd do if I didn't have any drop-ins yet.

p.s. though I'd flip flop on whether to get the "low" version, which is ~200 lumen I think? Longer runtime, more practical for EDC and not a one-hour barn burner light; but barn burner lights can be fun even if they're impractical.

p.p.s. you're probably going to end up with several drop-ins before this is all over, just fair warning!

Ulightme

Newly Enlightened
Ugh, do I have to go to FleaBay to sell the old head? Will there be zero demand on this forum because everyone that wants one already has one?

The idea of selling it to defray the cost of picking up the new one sounded so great, until I remembered the true depths of the FleaBay.

Ugh, do I have to go to FleaBay to sell the old head? Will there be zero demand on this forum because everyone that wants one already has one?

The idea of selling it to defray the cost of picking up the new one sounded so great, until I remembered the true depths of the FleaBay.
Since you have Supporter status here, you should list it as post #17 said. The marketplace here is pretty lively for SureFires and it should sell at a reasonable price. Perhaps first buy the M61 module for the G2 so you'll enjoy the light and have a taste of Malkoff quality. With what you make on the E1L sale, then maybe put it toward a whole MDC light from Malkoff. I've owned both the Bodyguard and standard MDC; both are super solid and will last you a lifetime with a warranty to last a lifetime as well.

Ulightme

Newly Enlightened
Since you have Supporter status here, you should list it as post #17 said. The marketplace here is pretty lively for SureFires and it should sell at a reasonable price. Perhaps first buy the M61 module for the G2 so you'll enjoy the light and have a taste of Malkoff quality. With what you make on the E1L sale, then maybe put it toward a whole MDC light from Malkoff. I've owned both the Bodyguard and standard MDC; both are super solid and will last you a lifetime with a warranty to last a lifetime as well.
As luck would have it, I just got this in the mail today. It's a 519A sm573 dedomed, only. (High throw, high CRI, 4200K). I'm enjoying it tonight for the first time. It's somewhat similar in specs to what I would pick up for the G2.
malkoff head.jpg

As luck would have it, I just got this in the mail today. It's a 519A sm573 dedomed, only. (High throw, high CRI, 4200K). I'm enjoying it tonight for the first time. It's somewhat similar in specs to what I would pick up for the G2.
Nice! You're set then! I'm sad I was completely unaware of the group buy and missed out on the first run. I've signed up for the second run (if it happens). The dedomed 519a is a beauty. I've swapped one into my Elzetta Alpha and it has yet to be dethroned as my daily carry.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're thinking fancy, I might suggest an HDS to replace the E1L with. I'd probably still be using my E1L if I hadn't lost it years ago, but I got a used HDS Rotary that's become my favorite small flashlight. About 4x as bright and I can dial it down to any level I want.

Ulightme

Newly Enlightened
If you're thinking fancy, I might suggest an HDS to replace the E1L with. I'd probably still be using my E1L if I hadn't lost it years ago, but I got a used HDS Rotary that's become my favorite small flashlight. About 4x as bright and I can dial it down to any level I want.
I'm familiar with HDS, but I haven't made the leap yet. Every time I do a build on the site, it turns out to be $500 or something. So I've been looking on the secondary market for one of those.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recommend the M61LL in the G2, it's my most often used around the house light with 100 lumens and it'll run for about 10 hours in emergencies!

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recommend the M61LL in the G2, it's my most often used around the house light with 100 lumens and it'll run for about 10 hours in emergencies!

I was just going to post the same.

If you plan on using it mostly indoors, I recommend the M61NLL.

For my uses, I use "regular" ( non- W or L ) Malkoffs outdoors, and N Malkoffs indoors.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
When it comes to tinkering with lights, how good are you?
Be honest with yourself. Easiest option would be to sell both, use the money on something that recently came out.

Ulightme

Newly Enlightened
When it comes to tinkering with lights, how good are you?
Be honest with yourself. Easiest option would be to sell both, use the money on something that recently came out.
Does dropping in a new head even count as "tinkering with lights"? I would think that someone bothering to learn Anduril would be more difficult.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Does dropping in a new head even count as "tinkering with lights"?
Yes, but only because I've seen guys botch that. Instructions mentioned putting a tiny bit of silicone grease on the threads first. They put nothing. Head cross threads/seizes up when screwing it down. Now, literally stuck. Won't budge at all. No way to remove it without damaging the threads. I've seen it reported on CPF.