Lambda power supply 3 phase

BVH

Flashaholic
Not sure on your tech question but I would guess not. You can get Sorensen telecom-grade variable DC switching power supplies on Ebay all the time. Usually less than $1000 for a 0-40V/0-75A that runs on 220-240 VAC single or three phase. I've had a couple of them. Now have a 32V/95A Sorensen. However, the older linears are a much better match for high inductive kickback loads such as our short arcs. You can find those on Ebay also - the 40V/70A unit but it's heavy at about 125 lbs. A name brand short arc lamp company uses this linear unit on a daily basis . Besides, having a variable lets you use it for tons of other DC powered tasks. Sorensen DCR 40-70B. If searching on Ebay use "Sorensen 40". Prices for listings may look much higher but most are not selling for anything over $1000. I sold both mine about 6 months ago and struggled to get about $750 incl shipping.

There's also the Realtec Flotrol DC rectifiers that you can pick up real cheap on Ebay. The 29V/100 Amp units (usually about 22V - 29V POT adjustable) are usually between $175 and $300. I also have one of those that I use to run my 1600 Watt NightSun. Purrs along with no fan like it's coasting.

Did you determine that your power supply is the problem?

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the datasheets it appears that this is a solid state switching power supply. My concern would be if the circuit design was relying upon the phase angles of the three phases to reduce DC ripple in the output voltage, and all three inputs were connected to the same phase, one would wind up with a 50% duty cycle DC output (read SEVERE ripple). If that is the case, then finding sufficiently rated inductors/capacitors to smooth that ripple would most likely be cost/size prohibitive. At that point, the units BVH mentioned would probably make more sense.

eyesonfire

Newly Enlightened
Agree. My thought was it might work with one phase, just not with a clean output or as rated, and with damage to the psu.
I do think using a linear power supply is needed. The switching one I used to power the light for the pictures worked just long enough to get some shots. Also im sure the light was under powered.
So as to your question BVH, yes the psu was the issue.
Thanks guys as always for your input and help.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, there are definitely things to be said for the old-style linear PSU. 'Back in the day' I remember reading a review of a Macintosh 1000w stereo amp. The magazine had a very rigorous testing procedure they used, that included unplugging the amp from the wall while playing, to see how good the PSU was with reserve power. The Macintosh had huge power caps in the input, and 'played recognizable music at reasonable levels' for over two minutes after being disconnected. No sag under load for that PSU!