Storing flashlights with lithium ion batteries in them... good or bad idea? ....

Dr. Tweedbucket

Enlightened
Say if you have a freshly charged 18650 battery @ 4.2V, how long will it hold a safe charge just sitting idle in a flashlight doing nothing?
It shouldn't do anything weird sitting idle, should it? :confused: I assume 16340 batteries are going to be in the same ballpark.

I suppose it's going to be a better idea to remove batteries if the flashlight isn't used regularly, correct?

ven

Flashaholic
Although it may not be best practice for some, i do have cells in a lot of lights locked out so no drain. If its locked out then a long time as in year/s , risks come if a light/s has parasitic drain and over time the cell runs bellow 2.5v(cell dependent) then left.

Depending on your uses or lack of would determine my answer. If you know its not going to be used for 12 months or more then store cells at 3.7v. If its a month or so then leave in light and lock out. Thats what i do and lights that have not been used for a while get used and tested running the cell down a bit.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most every light I own has batteries, or cells in them. I lock them out, whether they have a digital switch, or not, so I don't worry about any parasitic drain and I know to lock them back in before I use them. Nobody else here to grab one only to not have it work.

I have a bunch of cells in the fridge that are being stored at between 3.6-3.7v, but the ones in my lights are full, or as close to it as can be.

When I need to rock n roll and crack some skulls, I don't want to be fumbling around for charged up cells. Go means go.

Chris